Issues...

CyndaneCyndane Join Date: 2003-11-15 Member: 22913Members
edited March 2004 in Off-Topic
<div class="IPBDescription">I wish we all spoke Latin...</div> Ok... I am beginning to think I am losing my edge on language translations.

I am hoping someone can assist me. I have tried and tried to come up with the direct translation for this Italian word. I even resorted to google, which is sad for me.

The word is viene, it does not appear to be a valid word, yet I know it is I just do not recall if it is a conjugated word or if it is in its infinitive form. Assist, please?

Comments

• DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18951Members
    my instinct is to say it means 'come' -- because it comes from the same latin root as 'intervene' (come between)...

babelfish confirms it -- it means 'it comes'. just use babelfish if you don't know something :> yeah, we all wish we knew the meaning of words without having to resort to translators, but how can we know anything if we don't find anything out? :>
  • Cold_NiTeCold_NiTe Join Date: 2003-09-15 Member: 20875Members
    In spanish that is "you come [implied: over here]" the 'Tu' version of the verb 'Venir'. I think... It's been a year since I've had that class.
  • eedioteediot Join Date: 2003-02-24 Member: 13903Members
    latin -

venio - i come
    venis - you come
    venit - he/she/it comes

venimus - we come
    venitis - you [plural] come
    venint [?] - they come

[present tense]

viene...

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->babelfish confirms it -- it means 'it comes'. just use babelfish if you don't know something :> yeah, we all wish we knew the meaning of words without having to resort to translators, but how can we know anything if we don't find anything out? :> <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • CyndaneCyndane Join Date: 2003-11-15 Member: 22913Members
    Ok... I just hope it translates like that over in Italian, cause that is the language I am trying to assist with. I do thank you for all your help. I did know that viener was "to come" in spanish. I was just not sure how similar spanish and italian were, though they do share many verbs/nouns. :-)
  • LokeTheSleekPeruvianLokeTheSleekPeruvian Join Date: 2003-08-21 Member: 20054Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-Cold-NiTe+Mar 5 2004, 09:11 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Cold-NiTe @ Mar 5 2004, 09:11 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> In spanish that is "you come [implied: over here]" the 'Tu' version of the verb 'Venir'. I think... It's been a year since I've had that class. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No viene is de El version of Venir
  • HawkeyeHawkeye Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1855Members
    Viene? Isn't that the name of Venice in Italian? I could be wrong.
  • MulletMullet Join Date: 2003-04-28 Member: 15910Members, Constellation