Tarred And Feathered!

1235»

Comments

• Ethan_McPhersonEthan_McPherson Join Date: 2003-07-28 Member: 18489Members
    Quite the dilema, this is.

On one hand, you have a reasonable system that could help reduce cheating in a fair, non-biased way under the eyes of fellow gamers.

On the other hand, you have a system that, like many other systems involving people, is capable of corruption and mistakes.

I like the Idea myself. Mistakes happen and corruption can be weeded out.
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2004
    <!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Although VAC has had false positives in the past, I was under the impression it is pretty good at stopping the casual cheater.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Twice, one was hlamp, they where eventually unbanned(don't know how long they had to wait) and once on april 1st this year, they where unbanned within an hour and it only affected a few thousand people. The VAC people randomly and continously audit accounts from people who fill in that form that they swear they didn't cheat and don't know why they where banned. Nick says they've been able to get to the bottom of all the cases they have checked and all where caused by a cheat triggering VAC even if the users might not have realised it at first(old cheat that possibly was used on insecure servers or to view demos with a wallhack or whatever that then was not entirely removed or plain forgotten about), users who did not know that VAC doesn't ban instantly and just plain sore losers who had nothing better to do than lie.

VAC does not instantly ban people, it flags an account and waits a while then bans the person, this is so that cheaters shouldn't be able to know or spread the word that a cheat is detected. Recently VAC has begun to be updated alot more frequently and there are only a few public cheats available that are undetected or seem to be at any one time, they are usually detected a mere few days or sometimes hours later. I think Valve may get the hang of public cheating and all but eliminate it, but not private cheating(cheats that have not been released to the public and are instead circulated only amongst a few people, if Valve don't get their hands on it they aren't very likely to detect it in the future.)

Valve has introduced some new features in VAC that are intended to find previously undetected non-public cheats via more generic detection methods and a wall hack block similar to the one CD uses, I think this means that a wall hack will have to mess with VAC in the memory to have any chance of doing anything usefull(as is the case with CD) other than displaying teammates through walls.

Another interesting(off topic) tid bit, a model rotation bug has caused problems in CS and many other games with the model not rotating to the same direction as the view of the player in all circumstances, this has caused hit box bugs and could possibly(IMO) just maybe have something to do with the "shotgun sparks bug" in NS. Eric Smith says they fixed it and are going to release it in a future update.
  • Ugly_JimUgly_Jim Join Date: 2002-11-29 Member: 10235Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-Ollj+May 10 2004, 08:30 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Ollj @ May 10 2004, 08:30 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> i wanna see a bunny icon at everyone bunnyhopping. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    lol, awesome
  • BlackMageBlackMage [citation needed] Join Date: 2003-06-18 Member: 17474Members, Constellation
    edited May 2004
    scrap the icons

build an admin/amx/whathaveyoumod frontend that msg's admins whenever a person joins that has been banned by a "omgbant2k4" compliant server

simply, the frontend querries the "omgbant2k4" server for the joiner's steamid and possibly ip and somehow reports (to admins only, or to the whole server at op's descretion):

[OMGBANT2K4] new_dude has been banned from 6 servers (4 hits on steamID | 2 hits on ip)

simmilat to ravenous bugblatter beast's whois plugin:
    <a href='http://www.ravenousbugblatterbeast.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/BugblatterPlugins/plugin_blatt_whois/Docs/index.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.ravenousbugblatterbeast.pwp.blu.../Docs/index.htm</a>