Controller issue (Steam, OSX, Switch controller)

FrankMcSherryFrankMcSherry Members Join Date: 2020-04-11 Member: 259921Posts: 3 Fully active user
I've not found anything similar with a bit of searching, so I thought I would post here. Using a Switch pro controller, Steam big picture, OSX 10.15. The controller works fine in the Steam UI, and in other games (Specifically, Borderlands 2). On starting Subnautica, enabling the controller and everything goes wild. As if a random stream of inputs. Promptly the game starts (presumably some random button press causes that) and then just wild random movement and window panes once the game starts.

Any help would be nice. It was fun with the mouse for a while, but as the game advertises full controller support, I was expecting that to work!

Comments

• narfblatnarfblat Utah, USAMembers, Forum Moderators, Forum staff Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Posts: 745 mod
    Malacath wrote: »
    This problem is caused by Steam controller configuration.

You need to go into the Steam controller options for this game then switch it to forced off

Give this a try.
    Subnautica stuff:
    Official Subnautica discord chat: https://discord.gg/subnautica
    For updates on Console progress for both Subnautica and Below Zero, check the favro page, here.
    How to clear your Cache, by 0x6A7232.
    How to use console commands.
    Stuck, and just want to most recent base/Cyclops? Use "Warpme" command. Want to get out of the ceiling? Press F1 and note your camera postion. First number is North/South, second number is up/down, and third is East/West. Reduce the 2nd number by 10, then use "warp x y z" (where x, y, and z are the position you want to be).
  • FrankMcSherryFrankMcSherry Members Join Date: 2020-04-11 Member: 259921Posts: 3 Fully active user
    narfblat wrote: »
    Malacath wrote: »
    This problem is caused by Steam controller configuration.

You need to go into the Steam controller options for this game then switch it to forced off

Give this a try.

Thanks for the input! I tried this out, selecting "forced off" under the game's properties.

The controller didn't seem to be out of control, it also didn't seem to do anything now. Or rather, one button had an action that seemed to be "drill down" in menus, but there is no other control: no directional control in menus, no stick control, no "cancel" to pop out of menus. It did seem like perhaps the "select" button worked, as it could go in to the selected menu (but not change what menu item that is).

Currently using the controller to play FF14 and having great fun there, so no rush but would still like to resolve! Thanks again.