Controller issue (Steam, OSX, Switch controller)

FrankMcSherryFrankMcSherry Join Date: 2020-04-11 Member: 259921Members
I've not found anything similar with a bit of searching, so I thought I would post here. Using a Switch pro controller, Steam big picture, OSX 10.15. The controller works fine in the Steam UI, and in other games (Specifically, Borderlands 2). On starting Subnautica, enabling the controller and everything goes wild. As if a random stream of inputs. Promptly the game starts (presumably some random button press causes that) and then just wild random movement and window panes once the game starts.

Any help would be nice. It was fun with the mouse for a while, but as the game advertises full controller support, I was expecting that to work!

Comments

• narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    Malacath wrote: »
    This problem is caused by Steam controller configuration.

You need to go into the Steam controller options for this game then switch it to forced off

Give this a try.
  • FrankMcSherryFrankMcSherry Join Date: 2020-04-11 Member: 259921Members
    narfblat wrote: »
    Malacath wrote: »
    This problem is caused by Steam controller configuration.

You need to go into the Steam controller options for this game then switch it to forced off

Give this a try.

Thanks for the input! I tried this out, selecting "forced off" under the game's properties.

The controller didn't seem to be out of control, it also didn't seem to do anything now. Or rather, one button had an action that seemed to be "drill down" in menus, but there is no other control: no directional control in menus, no stick control, no "cancel" to pop out of menus. It did seem like perhaps the "select" button worked, as it could go in to the selected menu (but not change what menu item that is).

Currently using the controller to play FF14 and having great fun there, so no rush but would still like to resolve! Thanks again.
  • BigBuddhaBigBuddha Amsterdam Join Date: 2020-11-05 Member: 265228Members
    edited November 2020
    Hello! I have this issue except on Xbox 360 controller, PS4 controller and a generic controller through Steam. Since they updated their Steam controller configurations (it hasn't worked since 2020/11/04) and no controller seems to be working anymore, i've even tried to remap all 3 controllers in Steam to use keyboard mapping yet it still won't work, they work inside the game start menu to move around and selecting force-off in steam settings does make the controllers show up again however they don't function in-game other than opening the Exit menu. I've also tried to remap it using DS4Windows yet same thing there.. This made me really sad this morning because i love to play this game using my controller yet now it doesn't work at all no matter what i do .. No settings were changed at all prior to this issue occuring and it is the same for both the original Subnautica game and Below Zero, just suddenly this morning the controller no longer works in the game.

I should also say, the controller works fine in other games not running through Steam and in Steam Big Picture but not any of the Subnautica games

Is there anything that i might have missed or is this a know issue and a fix is on the way? Would really love to know, thank you very much in advance

My setup:
    Windows 10 Pro 1909
    version: 18363.1139
    AMD Ryzen 5 1500x
    8GB DDR4 RAM
    MSI GTX 1650

Steam API v020
    Steam package versions 1603992987

Subnautica Below Zero Oct 2020 37024

EDIT: This was somehow resolved by creating a new game :S so we'll call it #resolved
  • MøøncakeMøøncake Join Date: 2020-11-06 Member: 265245Members
    edited November 2020
    Just reinstalled the game after the "relics of the past" update and I can't get my controller (Xbox One) to work even with steam controller config forced off. Anyone else having this issue?
  • Cloud_Cloud_ Join Date: 2020-11-04 Member: 265209Members
    edited November 2020
    Hi I also have a problem with using a PS4 bluetooth controller since November 4th 2020

The controller works via bluetooth in steam and on other games

Plugged in via USB the controller works if i 'force off' in steam

If i am using via bluetooth (essential as I hook up PC to TV) then nothing works, there is not even the 'gamepad' option in the menu

Please help, as I cannot play without a controller.

The issue is identical on both Subnautica and Subnautica Below Zero

By the way, I love the Subnautica games! They are amazing!

Any help or other ideas would be much appreciated. I have tried reinstalling the game, and reinstalling steam as well as multiple different controllers

EDIT 1
    Møøncake wrote: »
    EDIT: This was somehow resolved by creating a new game :S so we'll call it #resolved

I tried this starting new game too, care to elaborate? Did you delete your old save game? Are your steam contoller settings 'forced off'? I am still not having much luck....i guess i could buy a really long USB cable if nothing else will work

EDIT 2

I have fixed it! hope this helps someone, I opted in for the beta client version of steam and all seems corrected

• Tysonp75Tysonp75 Join Date: 2020-11-17 Member: 265498Members
    I am also having controller issues but my specific issue is not listed anywhere. So far I have played 35hrs of SubNautica Below Zero using my Xbox One controller and had absolutely no issues. All of a sudden on Monday the controller no longer works for SubNautica or SubNautica Below Zero.

Controller works perfect for all other games I own, and if I log into my partners Window profile and launch SubNautica through his Steam profile everything works perfect.

It doesn't make sense, I was playing Sunday night with no issue. Save my game, log off and go to bed. Go to play on Monday before work and no controller, and only in regards to SubNautica and SubNautica Below Zero.
  • JerryT944JerryT944 Join Date: 2020-11-18 Member: 265530Members
    I'm having a similar issue, one day my Steam Controller simply stopped working with Subnautica.
    It works fine with my other games on Steam.

I have uninstalled-reinstalled the game. Uninstalled-reinstalled Steam. Deleted SavedGames Options (which was a suggestion I found online). Ultimately I did a clean install of Win10, and Steam, and Subnautica. No joy.

The first time I installed there was a Controller menu item listed under Options, go in there and enable controller, worked fine. That menu is now missing. When I launch the game, then go to Options there is no Controller menu at all...
  • AbysalheatAbysalheat Join Date: 2021-01-03 Member: 266551Members
    So I'm using an XBOX controller that works with other steam games and connects via Bluetooth to my Windows 10 OS. With the default controls selected, here is what actually happens in game.
    R Stick Up: look left
    R Stick Down: look right
    R Stick left: Use item in right hand
    D-Pad left: look up
    D-Pad right: look down
    LB: View/put away tablet
    RB: Pause menu

Please note that none of these are bound this way in the controller settings and make the game virtually unplayable so there could be other issues that I'm not aware of.
  • JerryT944JerryT944 Join Date: 2020-11-18 Member: 265530Members
    The solution for me turned out to be unrelated to the game itself. I was playing on the Steam platform and apparently Valve had recently pushed out a change to the Steam client that broke controller support for Subnautica. The fix was to request access to the current Steam client beta program. Once the beta client was installed most of the controller issues resolved. I still had to swap the trigger buttons, a minor issue, but otherwise it was golden.