A Note to Our Linux Users - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond Posts: 466 vanilla
edited September 13 in NS2 General Discussion

imageA Note to Our Linux Users - Natural Selection 2

With the upcoming release of patch 329, we will officially be ending our support for the Linux client of Natural Selection 2. It has become increasingly more difficult to support...

Read the full story here

Comments

• WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts Posts: 758 Advanced user
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver Posts: 3,466 Advanced user
    The picture :(
    formerly known as F0rdPrefect

I am good Onos
    DrifterGirlHolodoctor
  • GaidinTSGaidinTS Join Date: 2003-08-10 Member: 19319Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow Posts: 132 Advanced user
    You guys are actively making so many changes to the engine that you can no longer support linux? Surely changes in lua have no impact between OS's. This is really disappointing.
    Holodoctorantsinpants
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow Posts: 4,771 Advanced user
    This is sad. Surely the community will find a way to keep it functioning.
    From my perspective UWE has been trying to both with what little resources they have given to the game. They don't have an AAA budget, let alone an indie game budget. They have the budget of a game that has been out 6 years. I want to say, don't half ass two things, whole ass one thing. I just don't think they have the resources to do it. Unlike many of the people on the forums, I guess I am just happy they are at least trying even though I may not like what they end up doing.
    Holodoctor
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow Posts: 1,654 Advanced user
    Random things can easily break between builds, often in mysterious ways. If QA can't be assured between builds, it's easier to drop official support even if there is no discernable problems
    To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to play Natural Selection 2. The gameplay is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of military strategy and advanced mathematics you won't even win a single game. Theres also the game's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into the game. The maps and artwork draw heavily from Riddley Scott's Alien franchise, for instance. The players understand this stuff, they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depth of the game, to realise that it's not just great, that it also says something about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Natural Selection 2 truly ARE idiots. of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in the Marines' existential catchphrase "how do I get to be so good", which itself is a cryptic reference to the high degree of intelligence required to play the game as intended. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion when spectating a game. What fools... how I pity them. And, yes, by the way, i DO have a Fade tatoo. And no, you cannot see it. it's for the ladies' eyes only, and even then they have to demonstrate that they are within 50 hive skill points of my own (preferable lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid.
  • rkfgrkfg Russia Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187744Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow Posts: 476 Advanced user
    Well, this is sad but understandable. The game works since Wine 4.14 and the current Proton has 4.11 so it won't work out of the box. You can find some more info about performance and current issues in the comments on Gaming on Linux.
    Intel Core i7-7700k, 32Gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 1070 GTX driver v430.40, Debian Testing GNU/Linux amd64, Awesome WM 4.3, kernel v5.1.7
  • HolodoctorHolodoctor Join Date: 2009-05-28 Member: 67526Members Posts: 16 Advanced user
    Those are sad news. I enjoyed Natural Selection and Natural Selection 2 immensely over the years and have been following the development of NS2 since the very beginning.

It has always been a special community.

Is there any way in which the community (e.g. I) could take over the maintenance of the port?
    While I might test the performance in Wine, I guess it is more likely that this will be my farewell to NS2.
    antsinpants
  • PikumPikum Indiana, USA Join Date: 2014-05-18 Member: 196104Members Posts: 11 Fully active user
    This is embarrassing.
    antsinpants
  • culpritculprit Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33527Members, Constellation Posts: 313 Advanced user
    NS2 Linux was part of why I finally left Windows behind. I'm hopeful I can play it under Proton at some point, but this is definitely sad news for me.
    mintehantsinpants
  • mintehminteh Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151389Members, Reinforced - Diamond Posts: 9 Fully active user
    NS2 was also my game of choice when moving to Linux from Windows. I hope other developers don't do this. Proton is becoming a double-edged sword :(.
    antsinpants
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester Posts: 3,654 mod
    edited September 19
    As a Linux desktop user this is sad but understandable.
    With between 150 and 350 players per https://steamcharts.com/app/4920 this is a niche game.
    Now take the 1% of that and you have the Linux players.
    Supporting Linux is not feasible with these numbers.
    Will give it a go again with Proton with patch 329.

Edit: gave current build (328) a go via Proton, appears to crash, how do I get in contact with playtesters/devs?
    I've left a report at: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/issues/2234#issuecomment-531560211

Edit2: fixed itself, disregard
    Post edited by Zaggy on
    image Proud Dutchman image
    Join the Natural Selection IRC channel: #naturalselection on irc.gamesurge.net!
  • Paradox55Paradox55 Join Date: 2019-09-14 Member: 254712Members Posts: 1 Freshly registered user
    edited September 15
    As one of the original beta testers back in 2012 this is disappointing but understandable given the small userbase. As long as one of the two options above works no hard feeling from me.

Can the devs here commit to keeping the proton version working? IE won't add an anticheat that causes the game to not run?

And if not can you confirm VFIO passthrough via KVM won't lead to bans?
    Post edited by Paradox55 on
  • hadacehadace Join Date: 2018-02-18 Member: 237869Members Posts: 2 Fully active user
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members Posts: 856 Advanced user
    another nail in the coffin of NS2 :(
    NO Cyril, when they're dead they're just hookers!
    antsinpants
  • FoxyFoxy United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Forum staff Posts: 469 admin
    This isn't unheard of - Facepunch is pretty huge and they've dropped Linux support for Rust https://rust.facepunch.com/blog/updated-linux-plans

Offering refunds is right and proper and I'm glad to see UWE doing so.
  • gameofshipsgameofships Join Date: 2019-09-19 Member: 254758Members Posts: 1 Freshly registered user
    edited September 19
    "Now take the 1% of that and you have the Linux players"

It's funny to see people say that yet every time Linux is mentioned it seems like the comments never reflect that number. If it 'just works' with proton, that's fine with me.
  • antsinpantsantsinpants Join Date: 2016-02-23 Member: 213367Members Posts: 7 Fully active user
    I feel cheated and dissapointed. This was one of the best native games available on Linux. I used to respond to my friends saying that there are no games on Linux that actually there are some great games like NS2. And now there is no NS2. No, I'm not going to play via Steam Play, firstly because this forces me to upgrade my video card and also because it's still in beta.
  • PavePave Finland Join Date: 2013-11-08 Member: 189187Members, Reinforced - Shadow Posts: 1 Fully active user
    ---
    Whatever operative-system (or pretty much anything) people choose to use that is simply their choice alone.

But it is fair to mention that during past +7-seven years things have changed quite dramatically:
    Most importantly that Windows 10 can be gotten as a semi-unlimited shareware with all the support from Microsoft without any time limits unlike before
    ( pretty much the only downsides are the ("floating") watermark at the down-right-corner of the monitor and unable to change the cosmetic-things of the desktop like the wallpaper and colours. This alone pushed down the number of Linux-users especially due the huge amount of decreased "I cannot afford buying this"-folks being able to jump (back) into the Windows-environments without extra mandatory-costs.

Now I for one also am all for alternatives and other choices.
    But realistically speaking I personally rather have a well functioning software in general rather than having shoddy-versions on several platforms.
    And in this case dropping the native-support for the Linux-version of "Natural Selection 2" seemed like a realistic choice especially if it helped making the product far more better than ever by releasing the development-resources to concentrate on the Windows-version.

(( And before anyone throws snarky-comments like:
    "Well, that means you Pave have been lying about the importance of cross-platform-support then, right?"
    I'd say it's a quite a huge difference when you have a big dedicated company/enterprise behind the development of the coding-environments in comparison to (unlikely) having a dedicated coding-group of volunteers.
    As in, the developers of Playstation, Nintendo, and Xbox / Windows have their money in the line whereas majority of the Linux and other (majority of freeware/charity) OpenSource-things don't have have their livelihood-income in the line.
    That being said, as much I like as many of thing as possible to be "inclusive"
    ( I.E. everyone having access to things )
    sometimes it simply is not feasible for most likely very pragmatic-reasons. ))

---
    ---
    BeigeAlert
  • ikirikir Join Date: 2003-07-19 Member: 18265Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Gold Posts: 370 Advanced user
    Sad to see, I was super exited for macOS version that never materialized
    MacBook Pro retina 13" 2,6Ghz
    8GB RAM / Iris 1GB
    OS X 10.9 Mavericks NS1 advocate on Crossover Games