Below Zero Roadmap Rebooted and Release Timeline - Subnautica

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond

imageBelow Zero Roadmap Rebooted and Release Timeline - Subnautica

What’s up with the roadmap? If you’ve been following Below Zero’s development on Favro closely, you may have noticed that the Project Roadmap has changed a touch. We’ve decided to...

Read the full story here

Comments

• damjessdamjess Join Date: 2019-07-11 Member: 253692Members, Super Administrators
    bump to open comment thread
  • AlexD333AlexD333 Uk Join Date: 2019-07-11 Member: 253694Members
    Fair play, thanks very much for the update, it's nice to hear what you are up to behind the scenes and the decisions you have now made are great ideas.

Keep on rocking and I look forward to the finished article, good things come to those who wait!

Alex
  • CatucaCatuca Waterford, Ireland Join Date: 2019-07-12 Member: 253696Members
    +1 to what Alex said. I adore your first Subnautica and look forward to being mesmerized once more by the underwater beauty you'll no doubt be giving us. I'll visit San Francisco in September and will drop by to bring you Guinness and cookies to keep you going ???
  • Cody6592Cody6592 United States Join Date: 2018-01-22 Member: 235382Members
    Take as much time as you need! The first game is incredible and id rather wait a few months or more for below zero than it to be rushed or the dev team have to crunch and feel rushed!
  • StarwhiskersStarwhiskers Sweden Join Date: 2019-07-12 Member: 253709Members
    Like the others have already mentioned, I'd rather wait a couple of extra months than sacrifice the well-being of your staff/quality of the game. You're such an amazing development team, and the fact that you dare to be this open and vulnerable about your production is very admirable, but I can understand how it must be stressful. Thank you for this update and good luck to you all, you have tons of fans backing you up all the way!
  • lion7lion7 Netherlands Join Date: 2019-07-15 Member: 253739Members
    Hooray, finally a game dev company that doesn't rush things to hit the market ASAP. Take your time to bring us a truly great game experience, it will be more than worth the wait. Besides, we have early access to play in the meantime :smile:
    Keep up the good work !
  • crandyman656crandyman656 Ohio Join Date: 2018-02-21 Member: 238052Members
    edited July 2019
    So I totally understand taking your time to create a great game and not just throwing it together like other companies. Which thank you for that! Would it be possible to get some new features or something in Subnautica as we wait? Doesn’t have to be large or anything. Maybe even a teaser for us console players? Yes, No, Maybe? Maybe new buildings/ objects. I feel like I’m waiting on thanksgiving dinner and just want to pick a piece of turkey off! But seriously can’t wait to “dive in”! Thanks for your hard work!
  • BigGingeBigGinge London Join Date: 2019-02-25 Member: 251319Members
    As a player I want games that are good (obviously) but I want games that the developers enjoyed making as it ALWAYS shows, I dont want people burned out, stressed or working silly hours for the sake of my pleasure. So I totally good with this very grown up and sensible approach.
  • NaitsirkNaitsirk Norway Join Date: 2019-07-17 Member: 253780Members
    this! this is what the gaming industry needs. the single most honest game studio of all. i hope all your plans for the future goes as intended. and i would love to see more games from you guys in the future. unkownworlds you are the shining light of hope in a dark time for the gaming industry
  • DaSavageOne588DaSavageOne588 United States of America Join Date: 2019-07-17 Member: 253782Members
    I am sad that we have to wait until 2020, but I am glad that you guys are working hard on the game and trying to make it as good as possible. Thank you Unknown Worlds!! I can't wait to play it on Xbox One! In the meanwhile I can play the first one. I still haven't completed it yet.
  • kolboomkolboom Germany Join Date: 2016-03-22 Member: 214670Members
    this is absolutely a step in the right direction and this is highly appreciated. Totally understandable and a good thing for your work and motivation. on a side note, your transparency on Favro is outstanding in the whole Gaming industry. Kudos !
  • teenabeena8705teenabeena8705 Puerto Rico Join Date: 2019-07-18 Member: 253797Members
    Patiently waiting for Xbox early access, is that still on the agenda? I am soooooo ready to play it. It's getting really hard dodging spoilers.
  • kevlarkevlar US Join Date: 2019-02-01 Member: 249987Members
    It is great to be on this journey with you, UKE and the subnautica community. The willingness to integrate the community as much as you have (in both NS2 and SUBN) and still be able to make the right calls and tough decisions is admirable. The health and well being of the company directly impacts the quality of the production and ultimately the strength and happiness of the fan base. Take your time, keep your sense of urgency, and we will patiently waiting in eager anticipation :smile:
  • DarkSamiri430DarkSamiri430 Join Date: 2019-07-18 Member: 253802Members
    edited July 2019
    All Good Guys, Just keep up all the hard work you've been giving us. Thank You and dont kill yourselves all these cool features are extremely EXCITING. We'll Wait lol
  • kirinzzkirinzz Join Date: 2019-07-23 Member: 253914Members
    Nerf the Sea Monkeys! HATE them stealing crap, so stupid. Not fun or funny
  • NevaehruoNevaehruo Australia Join Date: 2018-02-27 Member: 238364Members
    Does this mean there could be another chapter coming after BZ?
  • KeanuReevesisgodKeanuReevesisgod Join Date: 2019-08-24 Member: 254433Members
    Could you guys make your next game after below zero in space? so far I loved your games and I hope that you could make other fun games but if you do so please try to make your games a bit less performance heavy cuz my PS4 can barely handle subnautica on low settings cause subnautica can sometimes lag in some areas (a bit like the korok forest in Zelda breath of the wild). also make add a difficulty level in your next games cause the only ways I died in subnautica untill now was because of running out of breath. Never did I die because of a creature. I hope you'll read this comment and manage to make better games in the future
  • CattlepsyCattlepsy USA Join Date: 2019-08-30 Member: 254509Members
    I'm one of the people who was put off by the intro. Not just the voice acting but all the walking and forced story sequences in the beginning were definitely not my thing. The first Subnautica was one of my all time favorite gaming experiences so my opinion is biased take it with a grain of salt... I obviously want that experience again but that shouldn't compel design decisions for new games. Also I really like that the spawn was random in the first game, it gave me a reason to play more than once becuase I was more likely to explore parts of the map I hadn't been to before if I created a new save/spawnpoint. Was disappointed to see that every new game in Below Zero opens the exact same sequence and it happens in the same spot. The Aurora Crash made sense more than once because multiple life pods dropped, and you see it from the perspective of a different pod... the new game is missing that, starting a new save wouldn't add any new perspective for the player. I get that's probably a lot to ask for without just going for another crashed ship scenario which I admit would be a bit cliche after a while. It is early access so for all I know there's more going on here and maybe starting a new game will add something fresh and I just haven't seen it yet.

That being said, I finally made it past the intro and into the water... played for hours, went on to find all kinds of awesome critters and I appreciate how the new plants allow deeper exploration by harvesting oxygen sacs and swimming up to certain fish. It still needs work but the hoverbike is a great idea, I can see a lot of potential there. The only leviathan I've seen so far is the Ice Worm, YES!!!!! More leviathans please that is my favorite part of these games. Rode some Whales, saw some Sea Emporers too but they don't count since they're friendly. No void guardians yet either, hoping to see some of those in the future.

My two cents should either be another gamemode added, or give "freedom" mode slightly less restricting weather conditions and cold disabled. I could really live without the blinding snowstorms that turn my whole monitor white for a minute or two, & frostbite is too restrictive for my play style, dying of cold instead of being allowed to explore in "freedom" mode doesn't really fit. That seems more like a "survival" mode kind of thing. I can just use console to disable the cold so that's not a huge issue, but it sucks to have to turn all of the weather off just to avoid the blinding storms, I enjoy most of the other weather effects that I can actually still see in. All in all good work so far, some more work to go and I'm looking forward to seeing how it gets done.

And as much as I complain about the storms, the sound effects and visuals are on point, not just for the weather but for most of the environment. I almost feel cold sometimes when I'm playing this. You've done a good job capturing the arctic atmosphere and making a believable environment. Keep up the good work.
  • hunt3009hunt3009 Join Date: 2019-09-19 Member: 254755Members
    It’s great to hear that you’re taking your time and not working yourselves to death. Please, keep the awesome games coming if you could though. I’m really looking forward to Below Zero, just completed the original this past week actually. My favorite part was discovering each of the biomes and the crazy alien creatures, and it sounds like Below Zero will have plenty of weird and wild creatures to find.
  • KostriktorKostriktor Switzerland Join Date: 2017-01-08 Member: 226342Members
    i stumbled in subnautica early access. wont happen again :disappointed:
    but im very happy to wait for you guys to 1.0 and then sending you money again !
  • SimmeonSimmeon USA Join Date: 2019-12-05 Member: 256158Members
    I'm planning on waiting for the 1.0 release to buy Below Zero but I wonder if I'm missing any of the story in it's current form by doing so?
  • sadnocturnesadnocturne Join Date: 2019-12-05 Member: 256163Members
    Really love Subnautica. And I expect to see this awesome game too! To show support to the devs, I bought early access recently but haven't played it yet because I want to wait until it's completed. However reading some negative comments, I hope this game won't have any politicas correctness bs and will just concentrate on the story and player experience. Please don't do any sjw nonsense and fall into "that category". I have high hope in the devs who always listen to their customers.
  • imEliseimElise Connecticut Join Date: 2020-01-01 Member: 256873Members
    I loved the original Subnautica, and when I first saw the news of a sequel game I was absolutely thrilled! I bought it as soon as it hit Steam, and did play around for a bit, but decided to wait until the full release so I could enjoy the game in its full glory. That being said, I really enjoyed the portion of the game that I did play. I also would like to say that I really appreciate the team's strive towards inclusivity. I can't tell you how novel it is to me, as a woman, to play a game in which, by default, your character is female. I don't really mind playing as a man, in most games you don't have much of a choice, but seeing the main character in this game made me smile, and for that I thank you! I made this account so that the most recent comment on this thread wasn't disparaging the devs for "SJW nonsense," whatever that means. The team created a truly mystifying, alien world that begs to be explored. The creatures, landscapes, and storyline were all fantastic in the original Subnautica, and I don't doubt that these same things that I loved about the original game will be even better in BZ, with the knowledge and experience that undoubtedly came from developing the original, award-winning game. The many aspects of these games which make them so unique and incredibly entertaining to play should not be overshadowed or ignored because of the appearance of characters or certain personal political leanings. Enjoy what will almost definitely be an fantastic sequel, or miss out entirely based on your shitty political views. Meanwhile, all of us normal people will be here patiently awaiting BZ's full release with bated breath! Take your time, but know we are all so excited to support you and explore what the other side of Planet 4546B has to offer!
  • GerdoskiGerdoski Join Date: 2020-02-02 Member: 257583Members
    I'm glad to see that most of your fanbase understands that in order to make BZ as good as the first Subnautica takes a lot of time and effort, keep it up guys, you're awesome and I'm sure BZ will be great
  • El_HadschiEl_Hadschi Join Date: 2016-11-28 Member: 224316Members
    Is there an estimated release date for 1.0 ?
    I am so eager to play this, but I want the full experience.
  • denden Join Date: 2020-02-07 Member: 257673Members
  • denden Join Date: 2020-02-07 Member: 257673Members
    edited February 2020
    Hi. It`s already early 2020. So when you're going to ship 1.0?)
  • casanofficasanoffi Join Date: 2020-02-07 Member: 257674Members
    Hi guys and best regards!

I don´t mind if the official release of Below Zero will take more time.
    I´m still on my first Subnautica-playthrough - took me only a couple years to take notice of this wonderful game ^^
  • HermitHermit Russia, SPb Join Date: 2019-02-25 Member: 251321Members
    Thus, my child met with developers who do not meet project deadlines.
  • batkittybatkitty Kansas Join Date: 2020-02-19 Member: 258046Members
    Guys calm down theres still plenty of time it's only February for 1 and for 2 games this size werent built over night it takes ALOT of work to get everything working togeather they didnt give a deadline because they didnt have one they gave an estimate and yall are being jerks my PC doesnt run well enough for subnautica so I'm sure it wont run this one but you can bet I'll buy it as soon as it's on ps4 but the early access playthrough I have seen so far is stunning and will be worth the wait