[Crash]Consistently crashing in the first few minutes of the game [61056]

WafflecopperWafflecopper Join Date: 2019-01-03 Member: 247919Members
edited January 2019 in Subnautica Bug Reporting
I recently purchased Subnautica for PC on Steam but despite many attempts to play it, the game crashes in the first few minutes every time. The game boots up fine, I choose survival mode in the menu, the intro plays (although I skipped it every attempt after the first), and the game runs smoothly until it crashes to desktop roughly five to ten minutes later as I read the tablet thing or try to explore the world. I've updated my video drivers and verified file integrity in Steam but the problem persists. I've also run CrystalDiskInfo and Memtest86 and neither one found any problems. I've also read through the Subnautica troubleshooting guide on Steam and nothing there seems to apply either.

DxDiag file
output_log file

While I'm here I'd also like to note that the requirement to wait a day and make a post after signing up to these forums is ridiculous. I've just paid for a game that I can't play and I want to make a bug report and hopefully find a fix, but I'm arbitrarily forced to wait a day to do it, and also jump through the hoop of making some pointless post elsewhere on the forum before I can post this. Also, your troubleshooting and tech support page and the game both reference a Steam troubleshooting forum which I also posted on but which doesn't seem to see any dev activity, but make no mention of this one, which does. I understand the game is early access and I'm not mad about the crashes or anything, but you guys really ought to make it easier to report issues for new players. It would have been much easier to just give up and get a Steam refund. I'm intrigued enough by the game to have persisted so far, but not everyone would be.

Comments

• WafflecopperWafflecopper Join Date: 2019-01-03 Member: 247919Members
    Update: tried reinstalling on the off-chance that would fix it. It didn't, but here's another output_log file in case it helps.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Make sure your drivers are up to date (for ease of use you could use DriverHub, see the green link at the top-right of my signature). You don't by any chance use Citrix Workstation, do you? That's been known to cause crashes with Subnautica for whatever reason.
    edited January 2019
    Thanks for the link to DriverHub, I hadn't heard of it before but it seems very useful. It did find and update a bunch of older drivers, but unfortunately the crash persists. Here is the new output_log.

No I don't use Citrix Workstation.

Update: Tried unplugging my secondary monitor, still crashing. output_log
    Can you make a new world (just for testing purposes) and see if that crashes too?
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Can you make a new world (just for testing purposes) and see if that crashes too?

Started a new game in Freedom mode, still crashed. If anything it seemed to crash sooner than the last few times, which were loaded saves. Not sure if that means anything. output_log
    Someone else had crashing issues and they updated their audio drivers, then did this and it fixed it:
    Ethosbro wrote: »
    I fixed my issue.

The fix was turning off "exclusive mode" in the advanced section of properties within my audio device followed by a system restart. In other words, I unchecked "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" and restarted my computer. I'd done this before without it solving my problem so I assume it was this combined with using DriverHub to install any missing drivers.

Thanks everyone for your help :)

edited January 2019
    That didn't fix it either :(output_log
    Well thanks for all your help, but it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to find or fix the issue and if any devs are reading they don't seem inclined to offer any help, so I'm gonna have to get a Steam refund.
    Closest thing I could find to your issue was this (crashed on the same line):

https://steamcommunity.com/app/264710/discussions/3/1727575977554834712/

But yeah, if you want to do a refund, I guess that's fair. Sucks you can't experience it though. Perhaps in 6 months to a year it will be patched (they do keep patching even when they don't interact with the community for whatever reason, see still patching NS2 which they released in 2012).