Was the Aurora ever meant to land on 4546B?

Aurora_SurvivorAurora_Survivor Naperville Illinois Join Date: 2018-01-04 Member: 234809Members
If the Aurora’s auxilary misson was to locate and possibly recue the Degasi survivors and was equipped with aquatic vehicles then was the Aurora going to land on the planet. If the QEP didn’t shoot it down then how were those P.R.A.W.N suits and Seamoths were to get onto the planets surface?

Comments

• Hunter387Hunter387 Join Date: 2018-07-01 Member: 241853Members
    They probably had a secondary ship that they could of launched while in orbit that could hold them all or they could be extras just in case they needed them
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    Apparently the Seamoths and PRAWNs can also be used in space.
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    Land; most likely not.

Orbit; much more likely.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2018
    Maalteromm wrote: »

I just want a minigame where we can punch some meteorites,
    listening to the engineers it sounded like fun
    :D
    edited July 2018

Yeah it does say that the sea moth can be used in space and the prawn might of also been used for repairs on a ship if they had like a repair arm and the grapple arm. But I doubt they could withstand re-entry.
    Hunter387 wrote: »

Yeah it does say that the sea moth can be used in space and the prawn might of also been used for repairs on a ship if they had like a repair arm and the grapple arm. But I doubt they could withstand re-entry.
    I never said they should land on the planet.

@Aurora_Survivor asked:
    If the QEP didn’t shoot it down then how were those P.R.A.W.N suits and Seamoths were to get onto the planets surface?
    To which I followed with the comment about space.
    They were supposed to be used during construction of the phasegate.

The game lore implies they would just fly by over 4546B and scan for the Degasi crew. If extraction was at hand, they probably had other ways to land, as you noted yourself.
  • Aurora_SurvivorAurora_Survivor Naperville Illinois Join Date: 2018-01-04 Member: 234809Members
    If they had aquatic vehicles and seaglides then if they had to extract the Degasi how would they get to the planets surface?
  • BlueBottleBlueBottle Australia Join Date: 2018-02-03 Member: 236674Members
    edited July 2018
    ALTERRA Corp. Press Release:

Persons, corporations and Planetary Governments are warned that severe legal action will follow any allegations surrounding the presence ALTERRA science ships at planets infected with weaponisable bacteria.

• Isummon_DurtIsummon_Durt Lower MiddleEarth Join Date: 2017-12-09 Member: 234349Members

The seamoths require an upgrade to protect against solar radiation, I'd assume. Pretty sure that the seamoth can't be brought in proximity with the Aurora when the reactors are still shot.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members

The seamoths require an upgrade to protect against solar radiation, I'd assume. Pretty sure that the seamoth can't be brought in proximity with the Aurora when the reactors are still shot.

Well... depends. Your standard suit (I forget the name) might be able to handle that much radiation. A leaky reactor probably throws off a lot more than that, unless you were really, really close to the sun.

Maybe they were meant to be used nearby Stations or Capital Ships, and those would be tasked with creating a protecting field.
  • lordoffilinglordoffiling Join Date: 2017-08-10 Member: 232342Members
    I was fully prepared to respond with the Star Trekkian answer to this. No way that ship could enter atmo and break orbit again, physics, etc etc etc. Then I remembered, this is science fiction. I'm making full-sized seabases with a doodad the size of an electric shaver. I can make anything from a coffee machine to a nuclear reactor with that doodad. Let's maybe not sweat the finer details.

So, looking at the Aurora, its smooth design actually does make me think maybe it could do an ocean landing. And we know it had multiple, fully-assembled Cyclops aboard, as well as several PRAWNs and Sea Moths. None of those things could be easily deployed from orbit, so I'm thinking the answer is yes, they were planning on landing on this water world to search for the Degasi survivors!
    Would make much more sense to land a recon team in a lander vehicle carrying the necessary resources and just fab a few temporary bases and vehicles. Less mass to land and then break orbit again. While they maybe could have done it, unless the fuel was essentially free (which, from the Sunbeam transmissions, we can assume it's not) it's more economical to land smaller craft, and construct / deconstruct as needed.
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    So, looking at the Aurora, its smooth design actually does make me think maybe it could do an ocean landing. And we know it had multiple, fully-assembled Cyclops aboard, as well as several PRAWNs and Sea Moths. None of those things could be easily deployed from orbit, so I'm thinking the answer is yes, they were planning on landing on this water world to search for the Degasi survivors!

A smooth design doesn't dictate the environment something is meant to work in. A 747 has a smooth line but that doesn't mean it's meant to work in water. (It does, however, operate in its own fluid environment, which accounts for its shape.) As for the Aurora, though, it's pretty clear that Alterra really doesn't care much about practicalities, so it's not unreasonable to suspect that their design team took a form over function approach and just made it "pretty" so that it looks better for marketing purposes.

Fully-assembled Cyclops? I don't recall seeing that on any of my playthroughs. PRAWNs and Seamoths, sure, plenty - but no Cyclops. And as for those, recall the literature and comments in-game: they were never meant to be deployed from orbit to anywhere. Those vehicles were used for construction of the phasegate (and it's not hard to imagine how with an army of those things construction would be swift). When it comes to getting down onto a planet, nothing in the Aurora's mission profile nor its stated payload or performance in any way hint that it was ever meant to touch atmosphere, let alone surface.
  • TheBoss097TheBoss097 Join Date: 2018-04-25 Member: 240313Members
    honestly, I think they would have landed if the aurora hadn't been shot down. The reason is that they had Cyclops pieces to assemble the Cyclops (obviously), and the Cyclops is a submarine, it is made to explore the ocean.
    @scifiwriterguy @TheBoss097 They do have Cyclops parts in the big crates by the elevator platform sometimes (depends on your random loot spawn points), as well as all of those Cyclops parts you can scan - I don't think all of those were from destroyed Cyclops, if any were at all. Unless they've removed the Cyclops spawn from that area (possible; it was only ever one piece of the engine IIRC).
  • elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    They also could have had a shuttle to take stuff down to the planet. Or assembled one if they needed it, and then built whatever else they needed once they were on the surface.
  • lordoffilinglordoffiling Join Date: 2017-08-10 Member: 232342Members

A smooth design doesn't dictate the environment something is meant to work in. A 747 has a smooth line but that doesn't mean it's meant to work in water. (It does, however, operate in its own fluid environment, which accounts for its shape.) As for the Aurora, though, it's pretty clear that Alterra really doesn't care much about practicalities, so it's not unreasonable to suspect that their design team took a form over function approach and just made it "pretty" so that it looks better for marketing purposes.

Fully-assembled Cyclops? I don't recall seeing that on any of my playthroughs. PRAWNs and Seamoths, sure, plenty - but no Cyclops. And as for those, recall the literature and comments in-game: they were never meant to be deployed from orbit to anywhere. Those vehicles were used for construction of the phasegate (and it's not hard to imagine how with an army of those things construction would be swift). When it comes to getting down onto a planet, nothing in the Aurora's mission profile nor its stated payload or performance in any way hint that it was ever meant to touch atmosphere, let alone surface.

There are parts of several Cyclops scattered all over the ocean floor, that's how you get it for yourself. You don't need a Cyclops to build a phase gate, its only possible use would be to explore the ocean world. The parts you can scan don't really look like ready-to-assemble prefabs to me, they look like something that was blown apart. If that's true, then they were assembled on the Aurora and broke up when the ship did.

Which leads me back to: The Aurora was carrying several assembled Cyclops. You can't really deploy those from orbit, so they must have been planning to land.

The other possibility is that they were disassembled in the cargo bay and they were planning to just send the parts down, and the people would assemble the Cyclops on the planet. But the parts you can find don't really look like that to me.

But really my point is, this is a wholly fictional sci-fi universe. There's no reason the Aurora couldn't land on the planet. I mean why not?
    There are parts of several Cyclops scattered all over the ocean floor, that's how you get it for yourself. You don't need a Cyclops to build a phase gate, its only possible use would be to explore the ocean world. The parts you can scan don't really look like ready-to-assemble prefabs to me, they look like something that was blown apart. If that's true, then they were assembled on the Aurora and broke up when the ship did.

Which leads me back to: The Aurora was carrying several assembled Cyclops. You can't really deploy those from orbit, so they must have been planning to land.
    Can't argue with this logic regarding assembled Cyclops, as previously noted by @TheBoss097, @0x6A7232 and maybe others. Maybe the phasegate has a fluid...
    But really my point is, this is a wholly fictional sci-fi universe. There's no reason the Aurora couldn't land on the planet. I mean why not?
    Of course it can. It just isn't practical, and we assume that a profit oriented corporation would try to optimize as much as possible.
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    There is another potential source of Cyclops pieces, though it likely would have been 1, maybe 2 Cyclops at most.
    The Degassi logs mention there being enough lithium for a fleet of Cyclops, so they likely had the tech available.
  • LavLav Minsk, Belarus Join Date: 2018-06-18 Member: 241524Members
    edited July 2018
    TheBoss097 wrote: »
    honestly, I think they would have landed if the aurora hadn't been shot down. The reason is that they had Cyclops pieces to assemble the Cyclops (obviously), and the Cyclops is a submarine, it is made to explore the ocean.
    There's a recording "Aurora Scanner Room Voice Log" where it states quite explicitly that they planned to orbit the planet, take quick scans, find nothing and report to the Mongolians that nothing was found. Then the scanners picked something on the planet's surface and Keen hastily ordered to stop the recording.

So yeah... Aurora might have had however many subs on board, but I don't think they ever intended to actually use them - at least not on 4546B.

P. S. Or maybe they did intend to use them on 4546B, but after reporting to Mongolians that nothing was found and thus they have no claim on the planet. That would make more sense actually - build a phasegate and colonize a planet and get an IOU from Mongolians in a single cruise.
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    Lav wrote: »
    TheBoss097 wrote: »
    There's a recording "Aurora Scanner Room Voice Log" where it states quite explicitly that they planned to orbit the planet, take quick scans, find nothing and report to the Mongolians that nothing was found. Then the scanners picked something on the planet's surface and Keen hastily ordered to stop the recording.

So yeah... Aurora might have had however many subs on board, but I don't think they ever intended to actually use them - at least not on 4546B.

P. S. Or maybe they did intend to use them on 4546B, but after reporting to Mongolians that nothing was found and thus they have no claim on the planet. That would make more sense actually - build a phasegate and colonize a planet and get an IOU from Mongolians in a single cruise.

They intended to search the planet as a secondary mission, then report back to the Mongolians. The Aurora itself was never meant to land, only some of the cargo.

The Aurora was on course to another, unknown planet. It was shot down whilst performing a slingshot maneuver and crashed. 4546b was never an intended planet to be colonized.
    Random idea what if they had a prefab shuttle and Cyclopes that where in multiple pieces in serperate cargo crates. The they could also some crates that contained prawns and seamoths that could be launched from the Aurora and land on 4546b with the prefabs. In addition they could have like a small squad be sent down o the planet via escape pod. That way they could build the prefabs so that they could for one have extra shuttles to leave, and for two build cyclops prawns and sea moths for exploring and recon. So end the end they could do everything they needed without the need of a ship launching from the Aurora or the need for the Aurora to land. Boom drop the mic.

P.S. before y’all be like well you can’t do that because the crates would either burn up from re-entry or explode on impact uh duh dude. Well my answer to that is it’s the future the crates could be made of ultra strong alloys that can withstand temperatures hot as re entry and parachutes duh. Thank you for you time please take all of this into consideration before y’all be hating on me.