One thing I really love is not having quest markers.

HiSaZuLHiSaZuL N.Y. Join Date: 2016-11-11 Member: 223803Members
Spoilers I guess?

The joy of not being told what to do and where to go. Even better you are free to trigger story the way you see fit. I triggered Sunbeams first message a month later in game. Day 50 I was looking for last few possible survivors, reading pda on floating island getting sour feeling and getting Sunbeams signal notification just ditching floating island exploration and just going back to my shack(was kind of designed to be replaced later with proper modules instead of corridors but I'm not really into RP and played this enough anyway) then I sort my junk out finally dust off my mobile vehicle conjuring contraption and finally make a seamoth toss my luggage in and head to the meeting spot. Found my first alien vent(in that run at least) on the way, scratched my head and continued while picking some stuff along the way. Land on the beach and wonder how I didn't see the damn island while it's so close... brush it off as space magic. Then find weird force fields, alien tablets with windows 921321771, scratching head some more... finding cave full of facehu... I mean crawlers saying screw it my ride is almost here.... then... well... you know. Welp, I'm stuck here and probably going to die horribly but lets see this alien building up close, clear the cave, ride some flying fish, take a selfie with a doomsday device. Great, time to go visit that structurally unsound island and finally get the multipurpose room. Make my outpost, day 180, I only got a one tiny outpost(for me it's tiny at least... tho fully functional base). Lets build that big wiener mobile. Kewl. I just need another 9 million titanium now for lockers and pots. Well... I guess I'll take it for a spin and finish decorating... wait... wait... I DON'T HAVE A KUSH PLANT?!?! OH GOD. THIS IS MADNESS! BLASPHEMY!!!

So finally I get to the point of this topic... I ramble I know. So with super sour feeling of spending half a year on a planet without ever remembering that I got no kush growing in my garden only because I suddenly realized my alien fishtank plant choice was missing something, I head out. Instead of going north east tho, for some obscure reason, I head south west... the complete opposite way. End up in dunes and then I remember that I went the wrong way. Well... damn. Oh well, I haven't been to dunes yet. Since reapers wouldn't leave me the bloody hell alone to make my wreck looting hose, now I might as well clear the dunes. Wondered around... found stillsuit, dead last blueprint... yea... it sure is going to be useful to me... when my outpost has 2 filtration systems and I have food everywhere but oh well still nice. Found another cuddle? cute? whatever it's called now fish egg, think I got 4 now... I really should hatch at least one. Ran into the precursor hidyhole, UGHHH... fine I'll swim and get a tablet, forgot to take cyclopse efficiency module from aurora and only remembered once I made the round trip. Cyclops at least looks more or less finished now. Still need to build my locker walls but I'm not draining my power supply scraping 5 lockers full of salvage so screw it. No mods in cyclops... nope... not wasting energy for that either. Just going to visit walking barstool path and check that wreck instead of wasting time going back and forth. As I'm leaving dunes... 8 dead reapers later, another time capsule, great... I'm going to get another heat knife and stasis rifle or some fish. I get kush sample... Well, I did end up on this journey with the idea of getting that so that works, even if I found it in the opposite direction. Poked around visited one of the last 4? wrecks that I didn't explore before I even had seamoth, kewl. Now lets head home, sort of just one more place to visit on the way. After picking shooting some annoying fish in the face with giant turds I finally leave by way of DGR. Oversized ghost fish stick attacks... ah ya bloody loud tuna you. Ram it, ninja exit 30 minutes later take a selfie with it's corpse. You know what... I'm now annoyed at all these damn oversized fish making me ninja exit kill em and then repair holes. Going to swing around crash site and "fix" that little issue. As I deal with last reaper I see kush plant... that's right... many hours ago I was heading here. Well... might as well take another sample I guess.

You just don't end up doing things in such a weird way when you constantly have an arrow shoved up your eyeballs telling you to go there and you sure as hell don't end up this way when you have fast travel.

Comments

• starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members
    But we do get some quest markers if we pick up the right PDAs.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    starkaos wrote: »
    But we do get some quest markers if we pick up the right PDAs.

Yeah, but you can flip 'em on and off easily.
  • dapperjabberdapperjabber USA Join Date: 2018-02-17 Member: 237787Members
    HiSaZuL wrote: »
    The joy of not being told what to do and where to go.

This game is a breath of fresh air in an age of hand holding. Add to that the rewards of exploration and non violent progression, and this game is my personal zen garden.

• RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    To be honest this is one of the reason why i love this game so much, the complete freedom to do whatever you wanna do whenever you wanna do it. The game's main arc will wait until you feel like going back to it before continuing ..... it'll wait forever if you so desire it. Same thing applies for the markers, the game gives you some in the form of radio signals for the lifepods and main points of interests but you have the complete freedom to turn them off if you so desire which is a must for screen clutter purposes. If you wish to have more markers you can make them yourself with beacons and the wildlife dont destroy them which is also pretty cool.

Of course, if you have a very bad memory and cannot very easily remember your way around places you'll have to make tons of beacons and manually turn them on/off often which can become tedious rapidly but such is the cost of having a bad memory :wink: