Catastrophic Bug -- Save is Corrupted, cannot finish game

BumpusRumpleBumpusRumple Join Date: 2016-10-21 Member: 223266Members
Subnautica had been running fine for me beforehand. However, after saving and quitting the game says that my save file has been damaged. The result of this is that I have lost ALL my items, progress, etc. The lifepod is still there, but there are no items in it, and the fabricator, power cells, and medkit generator are all missing.

What is going on, and more importantly can I fix this? This was a 20+ hour save. I've been playing for a long while and have had nothing like this happen before. I'm frankly quite devastated.

Comments

• BumpusRumpleBumpusRumple Join Date: 2016-10-21 Member: 223266Members
    Update: Checked the two bin files and the json file in my save. They literally have nothing written in them. Even the screenshot is somehow unopenable, and, I assume, broken. This is really confusing. I'm pretty sure my save is shot at this point, but I do want to know how it happened.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Long shot, but try running chkdsk from an elevated cmd prompt (Start, type cmd, right-click > run as admin) on the drive where Subnautica is located:
    chkdsk c: /f

(replace c: with whatever drive it's on, like e: or g:) If it's a filesystem issue causing the files to no longer be associated with their data, this might help. If Subnautica wrote blank files, then it won't.
  • BumpusRumpleBumpusRumple Join Date: 2016-10-21 Member: 223266Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Long shot, but try running chkdsk from an elevated cmd prompt (Start, type cmd, right-click > run as admin) on the drive where Subnautica is located:
    chkdsk c: /f

(replace c: with whatever drive it's on, like e: or g:) If it's a filesystem issue causing the files to no longer be associated with their data, this might help. If Subnautica wrote blank files, then it won't.

Unfortunately I tried that and it didn't seem to do anything. I think it's the game itself :( . I guess I can restart but man, it stings.