Sea Base building thoughts and comments

TDreadnoughtTDreadnought Join Date: 2018-02-12 Member: 237506Members
tldr: The game is immersive enough to warrant roleplay levels of base-building and it provides 90% of the things you'd want, I'd like to humbly suggest the missing 10%.

list:
- can there please be a "grab & move function" within bases rather than deconstruction and reconstruction? Mostly used for lockers that are full of items
- I can add in supports under a preexisting MProom but not remove them without deconstructing the mp room? Makes it tedious to alter a base without ripping it apart completely
- what is considered "connected" or "in" a room is unclear or irritating, e.g. a locker on the wall (in an MProom) next to a corridor opening gives the "empty container first" warning when deconstructing the corridor, despite not being in the corridor that is being deconstructed
- the foundation pieces do not seem to have, what I would consider, logical snap points, can snap a MProom hanging off the edge of a single foundation but not in the centre?? also when you place 4x foundations in a 2x2 square you cant snap a MP room to the centre? This makes it hard to build symmetrically or aesthetically with forethought
- Please add a "Take all" function to lockers
- why can't large lockers be named? The buildable signs can't be added on top either
- why can't corridors be connected to the angled sides of of an MP room? Or for that matter why can't MP rooms connect together at the angled side
- please make the foundations more forgiving with placement, specifically the tolerance of terrain clipping and allowable distance to seabed being smaller
- the high power drain of lights (floodlights & spotlights) seems to be absurd when compared to the fact you have a device capable of atomically rearranging materials which barely drains anything (yes I'm talking about the fabricator)
- Why do observatories only have one potential access point?
- can there be glass versions of the X & T shape corridor/connectors? Potentially utilising enamelled glass
- can the vertical connector be used to connect 2 MP rooms that have a vertical distance between them?
- can we have aesthetic doors which do not add to the base integrity (sliding doors from the aurora) which can be placed in line with the walls of an mproom?
- can ladders please be placed in the diagonal sections of an mp room? as it stands they take up a lot of real estate in a room while one corner would go unused. e.g a mp room can support 2 corridors and 2 water filtration units but not a ladder in the diagonal space between any of these connections. Another way to do it would be to utilise the vertical connector and have it snap to the two angled sides of the top and bottom MP room from the outside?
- can the spotlight have a static variant, they're nice and unobtrusively built but at night the place looks like blitz london
- the "no power" message never made sense to me, as I don't know about anyone else but if I was designing an underwater habitat "Power offline, EMERGENCY POWER ONLY" would 100% contain oxygen production. For gameplay I get that this should remain as is, but maybe change the audio message to something more appropriate and have emergency power be at the 5/x power mark or something?
- potentially use enamelled glass in the same capacity as the reinforcement piece, it's resource costly as you'd have to build the glass part and then the reinforcement but it would be nice to have the option. Plus it makes no sense to not build a window at 700m deep that isn't as strong as possible (and I feel enamelled glass isn't used that much)
- Hatches: I completely understand why this was done but they're not functional airlocks, which means that every time you enter or exit the habitat it would flood with tonnes of water. I actually don't have any suggestion because making it a functional airlock would require a lot more space...I just had to say something
- I know that the Cyclops dock has been suggested many times and is being looked at by the devs, but I would suggest that a full 'moonpool style' dock is too large and unfeasible for the style of bases currently in game. Instead I would suggest a special end-of-corridor attachment which acted as a vacuum seal on the cyclops hatch or a full airlock.

Reasoning:
I don't know if it's just me but I change my base a lot. As I gather more resources maybe I'd add a new storage room, and then maybe later I'd want to change where the room was because it was functionally or aesthetically annoying. Maybe I have a lot more glass available now and I want to make glass corridors instead of titanium etc etc.
All this means that I deconstruct a very full base quite often and if its something as simple as wanting to place the foundations at a different offset to the buildings on top of them you need to deconstruct the entire base to do it which is immensely time consuming and irritating.

I tend to shoot for the "optimal base", not most efficient but the optimal to be lived in by an actual person. So I will build a bedroom, study, lab for the bacterium study, green room for plants, power production room, storage, docking, fauna study, lobby etc etc.
The game is so beautifully immersive that I feel like I really live there, especially on survival or hardcore where the fear of the deep and the safety of the base is palpable.
I understand that this is not sim city but the building is so close but just slightly off, in my personal opinion and yours may vary, and I think that with (what I think are) a few simple tweaks it would be amazing.

Thanks for reading

Comments