Create new blueprints! Enhance builder tool!

BeckysFootSlaveBeckysFootSlave Germany Join Date: 2016-12-27 Member: 225560Members
edited February 2018 in Ideas and Suggestions
What I mean is:

Create your own blueprints from existing ones!

Example: I build two of that big storages (smoke glass one) and placed them back to back!
It took me some time to align them to my liking using deconstruct and placing again!
Now it would be incredible to select them both and make a new blueprint of them so I can choose this perfect aligned storages and build them again!

Next example: many of us are placing the lockers in the cyclops (5-6 in a row), now imagine you could select those 5-6 and make a new blueprint to place the complete row above it or on the other side!?

We would need a enhanced builder tool for that because it is restricted to just RMB to get the build menu with all blueprints and LMB to choose the blueprint you wanna use and to place/build it, and also MW to rotate the blueprint!

We could use MWB to select a item and with holding CTRL we could multi select items to make our own blueprint of it!
Next advantage with MWB to select a item would be: move a item (instead of deconstruct and build again and deconstruct and build again till it fits your liking)

Next advantage would also be: if you want to build same pieces you don't have to RMB to open the menu and select the same item again!
Just MWB (+SHIFT to copy) on the placed item to build it again!

That would also be worth to make a workshop on steam to use blueprints of others!

Thanks for reading!

Comments

• TDreadnoughtTDreadnought Join Date: 2018-02-12 Member: 237506Members
    I enjoy the idea, and placing locker after locker is irritating but I don't know how it would be implemented on a code/dev side if it functions as you might describe.

The only way I can see your vision being done would be having a "test room" like a god-mode
    debug chamber (which many games and famously the elder scrolls games have) in which you could mess around and create your combinations. Then the combinations could be restricted (which is necessary so that the devs can programme the behaviour for the game) by giving snap points on items which limit where they can be connected/combined.

For example, a standing locker having 4 snap points (the corners on the back face) which could be snapped to the 4 corresponding points on a reversed locker behind it - allowing for a freestanding double sided locker - or snapped to the two points of a standing locker in-line with it, allowing for rows of lockers. Then this custom combo could be saved by the player and added into the survival/actual game exactly the way current base pieces are but in a new section of "Player Pieces" in the build tool.

However...
    I think it would be easier for the devs to make some "approved" combinations of base pieces and to implement them as "new items" inside the build menu as is. Using a tree-structure menu (similar to the fabricator menu) with lockers as a type and not as 2 individual items, then when you clicked on lockers you would see a breakdown of various types and combos.
    e.g. in the fabricator menu currently you have "Cooked fish" & "Cured fish" substitute that as "Wall locker" & "Standing locker" then the subdivisions of "cooked peeper" "cooked bladderfish" etc become "back to back standing lockers" "in-line wall lockers" etc
  • BeckysFootSlaveBeckysFootSlave Germany Join Date: 2016-12-27 Member: 225560Members
    Do you really think we would need a test - room God mode?
    I had planet coaster in mind as I wrote that down!
    In planet coaster you can place up to many hundred or even thousand objects and make a "blueprint" of it to use that again and again!

Well I wouldn't use even 30 objects in subnautica together to make a new blueprint, but would be nice!

I don't think that's such a bad idea if you set up a mproom with desk (on it the lab equipment, microscope), a bed, table with two chairs and one or two planters or some more little things, and then select them all to make one blueprint!
    Then you can place this composition in another mproom in your second base if you want!
  • TDreadnoughtTDreadnought Join Date: 2018-02-12 Member: 237506Members
    well not god mode, but a blank canvas area if you follow
    And I think the combo-blueprints is a good idea, I just can't see how the "select" and "save as new blueprint" would be implemented in game, bear in mind that in planet coaster the whole game is building