Some keyboards still not working with Vive

jonbondyjonbondy Vermont Join Date: 2018-02-09 Member: 237227Members
I'm using a Vive with no other controllers (I power down the Vive controllers after I start Subnautica from within SteamVR). When I try to launch, I am warned that I have no compatible controllers, even though I have a keyboard and a mouse. I launch anyway. I can see the ocean (beautiful!) and a menu with three entries.

Subnautica comes up fine (and the visuals are stunning) but I cannot get the mouse or keyboard to work at all. When I press F2, a page loads in my web browser rather than resetting viewpoint. I can get some buttons to highlight by moving my head, but at that point clicking the mouse button does nothing, nor do keys like Enter or Space. Right now, the game does not work at all.

Seems like some people are having huge success and can't understand what the problem is, while others can't get the keyboard/mouse to work at all.

Puzzling.

<later>

When I use a USB keyboard, I can play both in VR and in non-VR. When I use a Logitech wireless keyboard (my default), I cannot play at all. So, Subnautica ignores some keyboards that the OS can see correctly. No wonder everyone is confused about this.

Can anyone make a constructive suggestion other than "buy a game controller"? This was supposed to be fixed almost a year ago.

Comments

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Probably depends on how the keyboard is loaded into the OS. Some keyboards load as a USB Host controller (USB Hub) so that they can have both the keyboard and other things (like all the extra buttons) as separate devices on the PC. It just means that the detection needs to be updated to accommodate these kind of keyboards. As well, some, like me, have their keyboard plugged into a hub anyways -- I have a longer USB cord from under the desk to my USB 3.0 hub, and everything is plugged into that. My keyboard has a very short USB cord, unfortunately (if you are reading this Thermaltake, plz fix lol).
  • PaulobPaulob Ireland Join Date: 2018-10-26 Member: 244357Members
    SteamVR controller mismatch I often get this message when starting Subnautica, I used to be able to get around it by unplugging my Xbox one controller, the game would start I would plug in my controller and away I would go but since early today this has not worked and the game has become unresponsive, even though my mouse & keyboard are working fine, the game just sits there loading and SteamVR keeps saying, controller mismatch please help me sort this thanks, I've tried various USB ports for my xbox controller like switching between a USB 2 or 3 nothing has helped.