[MOD][PC] Murky Waters v2 - With DLL patcher! [WIP

RienRien Join Date: 2018-01-20 Member: 235276Members
[Normal > Dark > Darker > Darkest]
r1.jpgr2.jpgr3.jpgr4.jpg

I re-made the Murky Waters mod I did a while back to include a patcher, so you don't need to hex edit anything yourself anymore!
I know people are wary of random .exe's floating around on the internet (and quite rightly so!) so I included the source code, in case you want to check it and build it yourself :)

Ever felt Subnautica is just a little too... bright? The fear, for me at least, comes from Leviathans appearing out of nowhere, not seeing them in the distance and avoiding them.
If you agree, this is the mod for you! :)

3 settings to choose from:
Dark: Similar to normal settings, only a slight reduction in visibility.
Darker: Probably the setting I'd recommend. A modest reduction.
Darkest: Very poor visibility. You will not be able to see very far in front of you at all. Bring a torch.

normal.jpgdark.jpgdarker.jpgdarkest.jpg

patcher.png

SETUP:
1) Drop the SUPER basic and not at all rushed 'SubnauticaPatcher.exe' in your game folder (where the game exe is)
- If you don't know where that is > Open Steam, right click Subnautica, select Properties. Click on the 'Local Files' tab and click 'Browse Local Files'.
2) Run patcher exe, and click 'Backup'. If this fails, make sure the patcher exe is in the right place.
3) If it succeeds, select your preferred 'Murkiness' level and Click 'Patch File'.
Note: Using the patcher to run the Game will fail if Subnautica is set to 'Run as Admin'. Doing it this way will also disable the Steam Overlay.
4) Either click the 'Run Game' Button or launch the game normally.
5) Enjoy!

Returning to normal settings:
Provided you followed the SETUP and made a backup, you can open the patcher and click 'Restore'.
If you don't have the backup, delete the file 'Subnautica\Subnautica_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp.dll', open Steam, right click Subnautica, Properties, Local Files, Verify Integrity. This will check for any missing files and download them.

Comments

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited February 2018
    @Rien I'd make it check for a backup and warn if none created. Your instructions are clear, but it's 10 to 1 your .exe will end up on unscrupulous sites looking to get quick ad revenue (or perhaps worse, inject adware into it), and people who get it from 3rd parties won't know necessarily. Result would be:
    Patch Game
    patcher checks for backup and doesn't find it
    Warning, no backup detected, do you still wish to proceed?
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    Ohh filmic and the shader I have would be perfect for this.
  • RienRien Join Date: 2018-01-20 Member: 235276Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    @Rien I'd make it check for a backup and warn if none created. Your instructions are clear, but it's 10 to 1 your .exe will end up on unscrupulous sites looking to get quick ad revenue (or perhaps worse, inject adware into it), and people who get it from 3rd parties won't know necessarily. Result would be:
    Patch Game
    patcher checks for backup and doesn't find it
    Warning, no backup detected, do you still wish to proceed?

The app would take a decent coder (or someone searching Google) 5 mins to reproduce, I only included the source for the people worrying it was doing something dodgy :smile: it's just a simple memory editor, it would be pretty useless as an adware injector.
    Checking for a backup doesn't really matter too much, restoring the file is as simple as verifying the Steam installation if anything goes wrong.
  • kramolakramola Kyyv, Ukraine Join Date: 2015-10-20 Member: 208611Members
    Hi Rien, i found Qmod manager on Subnautica Nexus (https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/16). There are some good mods for it already done (check https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/). Please consider to adapt your mod for it and release on Nexus to use it alongside with other mods.
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    I rather enjoyed this - although when I tried the first version I found the sunrays seemed too strong.

Is there any chance at maintaining or increasing visibility distance while lowering ambient light? Or would that have to be done through hacking the biomes?
  • RienRien Join Date: 2018-01-20 Member: 235276Members
    Avimimus wrote: »
    I rather enjoyed this - although when I tried the first version I found the sunrays seemed too strong.

Is there any chance at maintaining or increasing visibility distance while lowering ambient light? Or would that have to be done through hacking the biomes?

The sun shafts can be reduced/increased quite easily, I believe. For ambient light, there's certainly an option for it but changing it has unpredictable results, need to test it a little more :)
    As for increasing visibility distance, you can literally do the opposite of what this does quite easily (or remove fog altogether), the problem is Subnautica has TERRIBLE render distance, so things would pop-in very noticeably. You CAN increase the render distance (0x6A7232 made a thread about it here - https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/154042/increase-subnautica-view-draw-distance-wip-needs-optimization#) but that comes at a severe performance cost. Subnautica isn't optimised well enough at the moment :(