Game only runs in forced openGL

Abcd1978Abcd1978 Join Date: 2018-02-06 Member: 236985Members
edited February 2018 in Subnautica Bug Reporting
Game refuses to start after windows updates/Video card updates/ect. I have done all troubleshooting things I can find. The game just doesn't run. I exceed the requirements as well.

Windows 7 64bit
FX8350
RX480 8gb
16gb DDR3
2TB of free space
Temps are fine

While it works okay with openGL, I get a feeling it would run better on directx 12.

Here is the log file :https://pastebin.com/ASyyH8U3

Here is the error file if you need it : https://pastebin.com/gmjnTFe4

Comments

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    RX 480 is far far above min spec, so yeah. Make sure you've got Service Pack 1 installed, and that all Windows Updates are done.
  • Abcd1978Abcd1978 Join Date: 2018-02-06 Member: 236985Members
    Yeah I have all windows updates downloaded, and I got the download for video card as well. It confuses me because while my processor isn't stellar, my video card is pretty good, and I struggled to get over 40FPS on low quality. I just need to try to find a way to make it work with directx. The error logs to me don't make much sense, so I couldn't really make sense of them. I also tried turning virus scanner off and also using admin rights when starting. I hope its something simple, because I cant get windows 10 for free anymore if that's the issue
    RIP my performance I guess
    Are you using background performance monitoring etc, like MSI Afterburner? If so, close it.

If that doesn't work, try exiting / closing every background program that's open. If that works, then close them one at a time next time until you find the one that's preventing Subnautica from running (keep in mind it may be more than one, so if you find it, and it won't work the next time, check for another culprit as well.

I just Googled your access violation
    Write to location 80004484 caused an access violation.

and the first forum post about that in the results was from another game that uses Unity: here.

Give that a shot, if not we can look for something else. Post back either way.
  • matrixdllmatrixdll Join Date: 2018-01-27 Member: 235941Members
    Abcd1978 wrote: »
    Sorry for not helping with the case, but it's ironic to hear that OpenGL rendering shows worse performance, when considering the industry benchmarks in micro-tasks (e.g. rendering x-amount of randomly generated particles etc.) those API are supposed to be doing, almost all of them are done with OpenGL multiple times faster than with DX11 solutions.
    Here's the presentation summary, if anybody's interested (for benchmarks i'd suggest starting from page 74)
    https://www.slideshare.net/CassEveritt/approaching-zero-driver-overhead
    matrixdll wrote: »
    Abcd1978 wrote: »
    Sorry for not helping with the case, but it's ironic to hear that OpenGL rendering shows worse performance, when considering the industry benchmarks in micro-tasks (e.g. rendering x-amount of randomly generated particles etc.) those API are supposed to be doing, almost all of them are done with OpenGL multiple times faster than with DX11 solutions.
    Here's the presentation summary, if anybody's interested (for benchmarks i'd suggest starting from page 74)
    https://www.slideshare.net/CassEveritt/approaching-zero-driver-overhead

Probably has to do with optimization. I think UWE went for DirectX and didn't bother much with OGL. Either that or it's Unity that's not well optimized for OGL? Regardless, hopefully we get DX12 or Vulkan soon, as that should bring performance improvements.
    That worked actually. Runs much better. Thanks guys!