Increase Subnautica FPS with this one simple trick (turn off DVR in Windows' Xbox app)

0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
Haven't tried this, but can anyone comment on relative FPS performance with this on / off?

From this reddit thread, in this post:
Make sure the Xbox app doesn't have its DVR enabled.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/how-to-turn-off-gamedvr-windows-10

Comments

• CaiobrzCaiobrz Brazil Join Date: 2018-02-01 Member: 236501Members
    edited February 2018
    It will do absolutely nothing. Subnautica doesn't use XBox DVR system and won't invoke the service.

You can see for yourself by running Subnautica and checking if "Broadcast DVR Server" process is running. If you didn't run a game that does run XBox DVR before (which would load the process), it won't be there. If it is, it won't be affecting anything because Subnautica doesn't use it.

You can also just kill the process.

Other than that yes, it would be an FPS killer just like any DVR system. If I toggle NVidia Experience record/flashback, my FPS is cut in half.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Caiobrz wrote: »
    It will do absolutely nothing. Subnautica doesn't use XBox DVR system and won't invoke the service.

You can see for yourself by running Subnautica and checking if "Broadcast DVR Server" process is running. If you didn't run a game that does run XBox DVR before (which would load the process), it won't be there. If it is, it won't be affecting anything because Subnautica doesn't use it.

You can also just kill the process.

Other than that yes, it would be an FPS killer just like any DVR system. If I toggle NVidia Experience record/flashback, my FPS is cut in half.

Huh. I thought the DVR system could be used on anything that used DirectX. So it has to be specifically requested by the game to be active?
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    "Graphics card manufacturers hate him - Learn his one simple trick to get lag - free subnautica! Number five might suprise you!"
  • CaiobrzCaiobrz Brazil Join Date: 2018-02-01 Member: 236501Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Huh. I thought the DVR system could be used on anything that used DirectX. So it has to be specifically requested by the game to be active?

As far as I know, it is Microsoft who decides which games enable it by default (usually games they are related to). I don't know if any developer can use Xbox DVR function without asking Microsoft first.

Other than that, only way to use it is to manually activate it with Win+G. So if a person did Win+G and specified "this is a game", then they might have turned the DVR function for Subnautica on, but I don't know if that would mean it is activated on every run, I don't use it (I use Nvidia experience for recording, though it bogs Subnautica down so I rather use good old Fraps)
  • kershawalexkershawalex Manchester Join Date: 2018-02-08 Member: 237176Members
    I have the Xbox version and the graphics and performance is poor there’s gram drops all the time and black boxes coving up in rendered creatures plus my sea moth got stuck inside the alone structure because it didn’t load in and it loaded jn on top of me . There is also out of bound glitches as I Some how got out of bounds in the aurora shop and had to drown myself to escape please fix the Xbox one edition .