Loading save breaks power transmitter(possible workaround)

narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
edited February 2018 in Subnautica Bug Reporting
I built 2 thermal plants, and 2 power transmitters to bring power to my base. After loading the saved game, the final transmitter stopped sending power to my base. I was able to temporarily bring it back by opening the builder menu, and selecting power transmitter. Placing another transmitter closer to my base seems to have fixed it. (My first 2 transmitters were close together, since I didn't want to beam my power through terrain, so it may need all transmitters close.)

I'm playing on stable version, build 59302. The save was made a few updates ago, but the thermal plants and power transmitters were made today.

Edit: the original fix only seemed to work when I was close to the transmitter. As explained a few posts below, the best current fix it to have the final transmitter on terrain above the base foundations. It may also work to have any connection from beneath be closer to a base piece than to foundation.

Comments

• _alphaBeta__alphaBeta_ NJ, USA Join Date: 2018-02-07 Member: 237099Members
    I was going to report the same issue with build 59783. The last connection from a power transmitter to base is not connected when loading a save game. @NARFBLAT, did your workaround hold up on subsequent save game loads? I already tried previously putting a power transmitter as close to the base as possible (without it connecting to solar panels attached to the outside of the nearest multipurpose room) and that still didn't help subsequent save game loads. I'll add the following to this report:
    1. I've had this problem even without power transmitters. Solar panels are supposed to connect within 20m. I first encountered this problem in the very early game when I mounted two solar panels to terrain, but well within 20m of the base. They connected just fine. Upon loading the game at a later time, they were not connected (no blue line) and needed to be deconstructed and reconstructed in place to restore the connection. I gave up and just attached them to the structure. I thought it was just a freak occurrence until the same thing started happening with external power generators and their power transmitters.
    2. My specific setup has three solar panels attached directly to the structure (for reasons outlined in point 1) and a thermal generator connected via one power transmitter. The power transmitter sits right next to the thermal generator, and upon initial construction, beams directly to the foundation of my base. No issues. This connection is missing, however, when loading my save game with 100% reproducibility so far.
    3. The thermal generator / power transmitter issue (from point 2) is addressed by merely pulling out the habitat building and selecting the power transmitter. Nothing needs to be deconstructed or constructed; that's enough to refresh the connection.
    4. I've added additional power transmitters to ensure the connection avoids passing through any obstacles and always has clear line of sight. This included adding transmitters closer to the base in an effort to get it to connect to something other than one of the supports of the foundation. I placed one as close as I could without it also connecting (and stealing) to base-attached solar panels. Connection is just fine until loading the save game. Same issue.
    5. I've reproduced the issue whether my save is from inside the base or 1KM away. Upon returning, there's no connection.

I'm really surprised this hasn't been further reported. I'm a bit worried about this negatively impacting outpost habitats with them being unpowered while I'm away. Either that, or there's something particular about the setups of those having this problem. There's a few mentions on the steam forums as well. So far I haven't been able to vary the setup to produce a favorable result when loading the save.
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    I still found myself having issues with connecting power. It only seemed to work when I was by that last power transmitter on save/reload. I'm not sure if it has to do with distance from player to last transmitter, or whether the player is inside or outside of base.

I've created a new save post v1.0, which currently just has attached solar panels on my main base. I'm about to set up a new base with thermal chargers, will test how it works. I do have a couple theories I might test on that old save first.
    Actually I have a new theory on this; hot off the press. It was bothering me how this wasn't affecting everyone or how this would have got out there unnoticed. This still needs testing, but it's been reliable so far.

I had written up my complete setup with screenshots etc., but unforuntately I'm too new to post the latter. Bummer.

Skipping right to the good part, all my usage so far has had power connections being made to supports of my foundation. The original solar panels were below the foundation, and the incoming power from the lava vent I set up next to was also coming in from below. I thought it was odd that it connected to a support of the foundation, so I put a power transmitter higher than the foundation so the beam hits the top of the foundation. It's been working ever since.

If devs see this, I'd take a look at any power production unit or transmitter being below the habitat or foundation. I'm going to design further habitats with this in mind and see if it holds up. This theory would also explain why some don't have this problem if their power happens to come in from above. Given people routing solar to the depths, I'd say that may be more common.
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    edited February 2018
    Awesome job! I tested on my old save, that seems to have fixed it. :)
  • ranmafanranmafan Join Date: 2018-02-04 Member: 236837Members
    Same issue. Previously I kept my power transmitters below the foundations to keep it pretty (and avoid smashing my cyclops into one) but every time I loaded it would break.

I finally got tired of it, and tried building the transmitter on TOP of the foundation (not quite above but on the foundation itself) and that seems to have worked.
  • PowerLineProblems2PowerLineProblems2 Join Date: 2018-02-10 Member: 237290Members
    edited February 2018
    I have the exact same problem. I'm trying to connect two power source to my base via a "Y" network. It doesn't work. One of those ends will always lose the blue line.

I wanted to try _alphaBeta_'s fix by elavating a power transmitter to avoid foundations but the module closest to the power lines doesn't even have one!

I'd post a screenshot but my account is too new also.

Edit:

More information: No idea if this helps but by base has a higher elevation than both thermal plants.
    I have the exact same problem. I'm trying to connect two power source to my base via a "Y" network. It doesn't work. One of those ends will always lose the blue line.

I wanted to try _alphaBeta_'s fix by elavating a power transmitter to avoid foundations but the module closest to the power lines doesn't even have one!

I'd post a screenshot but my account is too new also.

Edit:

More information: No idea if this helps but by base has a higher elevation than both thermal plants.

I don't think you want a power transmitter actually on your base or foundation. It's unnecessary, and when I did this, it actually stole the focus from nearby solar panels that were mounted on a multipurpose room. A power transmitter will connect from up to 100m away to what seems like the nearest base element. You definitely don't want it to be the underside of a foundation as we've found.

I realize a screenshot would really help, but I have some suggestions if I'm understanding you correctly. First, I'd try to have the base only have one incoming connection, if possible. I'd combine the power sources into a Y before they get your base, using extra power transmitters if necessary to encourage them to connect. This definitely works in some cases anyway since I have two thermal generators going into a single power transmitter, another mounted above my habitat on nearby underwater hill, and then it beams down to a multipurpose room. I get power from both in this habitat and it stays connected on save load.

If you can't get higher than your base, I'd ensure the closest base element that receives an incoming line is something other than a foundation. I noticed in my other base that I originally wrote about that the connection moved from the (now top of) foundation to a newly installed observatory since it was now closer to the incoming power transmitter. Power transmitter was still slightly higher, but not by much. I suspect my original problem could have also been addressed by hanging base elements (corridors, rooms, etc.) off the foundation such that they were the connection where heights and incoming angles probably don't matter. That's just a theory; so far I've been building habitats where I can mount a power transmitter above the base if I need to. In your case, if you don't want to start over, you may want to build some extra corridors to extend toward the power transmitter so the power hits them.

Let us know how it goes.
    I made my new base with the final power transmitter on the foundation, but I'll try moving it to under the Moonpool.
  • PowerLineProblems2PowerLineProblems2 Join Date: 2018-02-10 Member: 237290Members
    I'll report back soon after I try doing it tomorrow, _alphaBeta_
    My new base ended out breaking the transmission for a slightly different reason - It liked a platform I had placed to build growbeds on(and no other base pieces). It really likes the top, hates the bottom, of platforms. Fortunately I was able to reroute power by keeping transmitters closer together, hope it keeps. If not, I'll move plants and remake planters without platforms, though placement of planters has been very hard since they removed terraforming.
    edited February 2018
    Ok, so as _alphaBeta_'s suggestion I have connected Plant #1 into my base, solo. No network. Then I worked up another line from Plant #2 starting from the Plant itself into Plant #1's first Trasmitter. I think I made it, guys. It's working perfectly now. I'll report more once I get my second base setup to see if something breaks.

I think we can avoid these buggy power lines if we start at the Plants when doing a network.

I appreciate your help _alphaBeta_.

~~Update~~

I'm trying to build a Scanner Room near Plant #2. Everytime I try to use the network it seems that the power in the main line is getting cut off.

Here's some nice drawings to easily understand what I'm working at here.
    YeKxa0Y.jpg

These are what I tried so far trying to use my network and this happens:
    ecbCyNr.jpg

kzjiDiN.jpg

~~Update 2~~

I found this 2016 post and it seems it is impossible to do a Power Transmitter network as only one source can only power one base.
    It is possible to connect two (or even more) power lines under certain circumstances. There can only be a Y-connection that connects muiltiple sources to one target. It is not possible to have a single source transmit power to multiple targets.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
  • DeelkarDeelkar Join Date: 2018-05-04 Member: 240507Members
    Ok, so as _alphaBeta_'s suggestion I have connected Plant #1 into my base, solo. No network. Then I worked up another line from Plant #2 starting from the Plant itself into Plant #1's first Trasmitter. I think I made it, guys. It's working perfectly now. I'll report more once I get my second base setup to see if something breaks.

I think we can avoid these buggy power lines if we start at the Plants when doing a network.

I appreciate your help _alphaBeta_.

~~Update~~

I'm trying to build a Scanner Room near Plant #2. Everytime I try to use the network it seems that the power in the main line is getting cut off.

Here's some nice drawings to easily understand what I'm working at here.
    [img][/img]

These are what I tried so far trying to use my network and this happens:
    [img][/img]

[img][/img]

~~Update 2~~

I found this 2016 post and it seems it is impossible to do a Power Transmitter network as only one source can only power one base.
    It is possible to connect two (or even more) power lines under certain circumstances. There can only be a Y-connection that connects muiltiple sources to one target. It is not possible to have a single source transmit power to multiple targets.

The reason for this being that the power gets managed from the base, so if you put base elements anywhere this creates a new root for the power-tree, effectively disconnected from the other tree with it's own root.
    This is also why you will never see "loops" of power lines, even if the placement would allow for that.