Better Gardening

SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
edited January 2018 in Ideas and Suggestions
As it stands, gardening is a bit lame. Growbeds and pots perform the absolute bare minimum of their potential functionality, and could stand to gain some serious TLC.

Here are my suggestions on how growing plants could change to be much cooler and more fun.

1. No more inventory for pots and growbeds.
Plants would now be growable by right-clicking pots/growbeds with seeds, upon which a plant would start growing wherever you clicked. Each plant would have a different (but small) hotbox size so that they couldn't be planted ontop of eachother. This would allow much more creativity in growing cool gardens and such.

2. Variety of plant models.
Every type of each plant shares the same exact model, oriented the same exact way. This is stupid and looks very ugly, especially with creepvine and bloodkelp. Each plant should have at least 3 different models, 5 different (but similar) maximum grow sizes, and a completely random orientation.

3. Equality
Pots can't be placed outside, and I don't like having to use only the 3x2 growbeds instead of the 2x2 growbeds outside. All pots and growbeds can now be placed either inside or outside.

4. Choosable growing medium.
Pots and growbeds would now have a large number of soil options to choose from, changeable by right-clicking them and pressing a button. The button would instantly change the growing medium for no cost. Examples include sand, dirt, grass, that coral-like stuff from the grand reef, bloodkelp mycelium, etc.

Anyways, those are the improvements I deem most important for gardening. Thanks for reading.

Comments

• JardimJardim São Paulo, Brazil Join Date: 2017-12-14 Member: 234428Members
    I think that 4° point would be a little strange somehow, instantly changing the soil...and for example, imagine a new player building a growbed and changing the soil to that "coral-like" from the Grand Reef or mycelium without ever visited before those biomes? But aside from that, good idea! :smiley:
  • SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    Jardim wrote: »
    I think that 4° point would be a little strange somehow, instantly changing the soil...and for example, imagine a new player building a growbed and changing the soil to that "coral-like" from the Grand Reef or mycelium without ever visited before those biomes? But aside from that, good idea! :smiley:
    It could be a bit awkward, but I can't think of any other way to do it.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members

How about allowing type to be chosen at creation?
  • SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »

How about allowing type to be chosen at creation?
    Yeah, that could make more sense. Maybe after you finish constructing the pot or growbed it pulls up a menu to pick the soil type. The ghosted, unfinished growbed could also appear empty until after you've constructed it.

Additionally, soils would only be accessible if you've already been to a certain biome before.
  • angeluscaligoangeluscaligo Join Date: 2018-02-01 Member: 236483Members
    Good ideas, but all the growthbeds should also be able to snap neatly together on certain base-modules and form neat rows. you won't believe how much time we all waste trying to properly align exterior growthbeds so that they're straight.