Should the DEV's add weather to the game

ResilientPanda0ResilientPanda0 Join Date: 2017-10-02 Member: 233359Members
edited December 2017 in Ideas and Suggestions
It will rather be just rain or rain with thunder and lightning.

Comments

• MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    The game is nearly finished, but they still need to fix a few things before launch. Not create new things to be fixed.
  • ResilientPanda0ResilientPanda0 Join Date: 2017-10-02 Member: 233359Members
    As you play Subnautica you go to the floating island that the Degasi crew was on and read about a storm in one of their logs. I was thinking that every week in the game there be just rain or it will rain and include thunder and lightning when lightning strikes the water you will receive 5 damage and if the lightning hits your life pod it will go out for just 10 seconds and come back online. Before the storm comes your radio would go off and as soon as you listen to the radio it will say "Warning storm is approaching" and will give you a 2 minutes to prepare for the storm. As the time limit goes down it will update your fabricator and allow you to make a suit to not get damaged by the lightning and will also give you a storm tent to put on your pod to protect it. leave a comment
  • ResilientPanda0ResilientPanda0 Join Date: 2017-10-02 Member: 233359Members
    Maalteromm wrote: »
    The game is nearly finished, but they still need to fix a few things before launch. Not create new things to be fixed.

It will be a update after V1.0
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    The kind of storm they cite in the logs is the kind that would wipe all lifepods from the surface. Lightning is nowhere near the major problem (unless it strikes you, then you're most probably dead). Storms are accompanied by strong winds, they generate very large waves (amplified by the "underwater" mountain) and strong currents, dozens of meters deep. Even if the lifepod doesn't sink, it will probably drift very far away, on a map that's already unrealistically "small".

Storms can be really cool, but they will require a lot of work to be properly implemented as an environmental hazard.

And regular weather, with occasional rain, fog, etc..., is just eye-candy and we can do without it for now.
  • Sam_StarfallSam_Starfall Join Date: 2017-05-21 Member: 230665Members
    edited December 2017
    Weather could just be some cloud above, if only to mess up with the perfection of solar panel.
    Also it would fit the lore given and be a way to force players to build seabase deeper if it's destructive (that or something else)

I'm more hoping for underwater currents which would make piloting submarine much more skillful, but I don't expect that in the 1.0 release. If it's added in a DLC along other things it would be a good reason for me to buy it and give them more money.
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    As you play Subnautica you go to the floating island that the Degasi crew was on and read about a storm in one of their logs. I was thinking that every week in the game there be just rain or it will rain and include thunder and lightning when lightning strikes the water you will receive 5 damage and if the lightning hits your life pod it will go out for just 10 seconds and come back online. Before the storm comes your radio would go off and as soon as you listen to the radio it will say "Warning storm is approaching" and will give you a 2 minutes to prepare for the storm. As the time limit goes down it will update your fabricator and allow you to make a suit to not get damaged by the lightning and will also give you a storm tent to put on your pod to protect it. leave a comment

To go along with this, the Sunbeam tells you "Let's hope the weather holds..." meaning there could totally have been a chance for a storm when they tried landing then got blown apart.

Weather would also be awesome if the Floating island slightly rocked or something, and the Lifpods (Yours, 5, and 4) rocked in the waves.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Yes, but after v1.0 launches.
  • BreadedChickenBreadedChicken Canada Join Date: 2017-12-10 Member: 234357Members
    their probably going to add weather after 1.0
  • gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members
    I would love to see a weather system added to the game. Even if it was just visual effects on the surface with no gameplay effects, it would add some welcome variability to the game.

However, my dream would be if it did have a gameplay effect. During a big storm the up and down of big waves could make the safe shallows and other shallow locations not so safe with the surf smashing the player and subs into the terrain, forcing them to either wait the storm out in a base or go deeper to get away from it. To prevent this from stalling gameplay, let the bed be used to sleep out the storm. Maybe rare creatures and minerals could be exposed during a storm, so the player has incentive to go out to collect things (similar to what was done in the Mad Max game with the storms).

Also, storms could be underwater as well. Underwater storms like in Soma could potentially give the exosuit some additional gameplay by being able to wade through unpredictable currents that would smash a seamoth or the player into walls and such.

Even less severe weather could potentially have some gameplay effect. Different weather could change fish behavior (would also like to see this as part of the day-night cycle) so on overcast days some fish would be easier to find. When it's raining, maybe there could be waterfalls on the islands the player can use to get free fresh water and outdoor plants would grow faster immediately after the rain. Plus some fish that react to the less saline water suddenly present at the surface.

As has been said, any of this would likely be a post-1.0 feature.
  • freshmeat107freshmeat107 Join Date: 2017-12-30 Member: 234691Members
    I could see events like a over sea storm being a neat thing to add to the immersion. Imagine collecting resources in the safe shallows and hear the muffled thunder above the water while large waves are rolling over head. It would really help with reinforcing the idea that you are stranded in the middle of the ocean.
  • Isummon_DurtIsummon_Durt Lower MiddleEarth Join Date: 2017-12-09 Member: 234349Members
    As far as weather goes, my opinions might be a fun read if you have the patience to read my four, dense, sciency paragraphs worth of fantasizing about a weather-related quest-ish thing/motivation to move away from the map's equator due to a constant storm which ravages the planet while slowly zizagging its way across the equator and passing by the map every few years. I gave a pretty good scientific explanation as to why this would make sense, if you wanna' go find SnailsAttack's thread about if there should be a Storm-Mode. Overall, I think that weather would be nice; but there could be either a boring, routine weather... or it could be a major event in the player's experience which results in having to stow vehicles away and make for a remote safety point.
  • LordBrisingrLordBrisingr Join Date: 2018-01-05 Member: 234829Members
    Yes, but only as a DLC for after release
  • VashM87VashM87 Join Date: 2018-01-31 Member: 236344Members
    It should really be a thing, weather underwater kinda like what S.O.M.A. did on the final stretch of that game, would be amazing in subnautica. Probably something biome specific, maybe some changing tides and underwater currents following some interesting patterns. Imagine piloting your seamoth through the lost river and coming across some massive currents that push and shake your vehicle violently.... With some specialized audio design it would be absolutely terrifying.

On a side note, given the size and proximity of the moons on the planet, there should be some massive tide changes periodically. Tides intense enough to keep the safe shallows completely dry for like half of each ingame day. But that would be dumb, insane to code and not very fun game mechanic. Still, theres a good expository reason to explain underwater weather...
  • turtlefrogturtlefrog Join Date: 2018-01-21 Member: 235346Members
    Yes agreed weather would be the next logical step to add to the game to make the world even more imersive. And plz a hard mode where creatures are more dangerouse.
  • JeeFJeeF Join Date: 2018-01-31 Member: 236393Members
    Definitely yes, rain makes scuba-diving a lot more fun.
    And storms would be awesome too, with bigger waves.
    If this had some impact in the way creatures behave, even better.
    And if this had some impact in structures built near the surface, PERFECT!