There's something you don't see everyday

Erian_SErian_S TW Join Date: 2014-05-10 Member: 195949Members Posts: 2 Fully active user

Comments

• MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow Posts: 3,401 mod
    How'd that happen?
    -/AUS/- PS_Mouse
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow Posts: 2,615 Advanced user
    Mouse wrote: »
    How'd that happen?

Well if you look at the kill feed you can clearly see a hive and a command station were destroyed, and if they're both destroyed within a small window of time then it's a draw game.

The rarest of endings.
    .trixX.coolitic
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow Posts: 3,401 mod
    Mouse wrote: »
    How'd that happen?

Well if you look at the kill feed you can clearly see a hive and a command station were destroyed, and if they're both destroyed within a small window of time then it's a draw game.

The rarest of endings.

I thought it'd be something like that. Does anyone know if there are any esoteric ways to force a win or draw?
    Maybe if both teams build a wonder at the same time and then neither wonder is destroyed before the count down ends.
    -/AUS/- PS_Mouse
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands, Hoogezand Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue Posts: 14,947 Advanced user

Guardian of the "magic cookiejar" AdminModerator

Existence Unknown

Retired forum Admin, I mostly used a flamethrower tank for disputes... Mostly
    Retired EUPT Deputy | Moral Support | Squad 5 Blue
    102 1HP Skulk escapes and counting | Play the Latest Version of Booster Z-Frame
    YouTube NS2 Playlists: Unusual Selection | NS2 Stuff | NS2PT | NS2 Tuts

• NintendowsNintendows Join Date: 2016-11-07 Member: 223716Members, Squad Five Blue Posts: 58 Advanced user
    You have about 0.75 seconds after having your last hive killed to also kill the last CC. It's not a very large window!
    Vetinari
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver Posts: 3,308 Advanced user
    I remember seeing a thread about this a while (years) back. It definitely doesn't happen often.
    formerly known as F0rdPrefect

Check out my new Balance Mod
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow Posts: 4,391 Advanced user
    I can confirm that it happens in less than 1% of games.
    When you aim for perfect balance, you discover it's a moving target.
    Perfect balance is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellent gameplay.
    NS2 is a moving, breathing thing. We have to be willing to constantly evolve. Perfect balance is constant transformation.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow Posts: 1,529 Advanced user
    Oh man, I think I just lost my appetite
    To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to play Natural Selection 2. The gameplay is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of military strategy and advanced mathematics you won't even win a single game. Theres also the game's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into the game. The maps and artwork draw heavily from Riddley Scott's Alien franchise, for instance. The players understand this stuff, they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depth of the game, to realise that it's not just great, that it also says something about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Natural Selection 2 truly ARE idiots. of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in the Marines' existential catchphrase "how do I get to be so good", which itself is a cryptic reference to the high degree of intelligence required to play the game as intended. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion when spectating a game. What fools... how I pity them. And, yes, by the way, i DO have a Fade tatoo. And no, you cannot see it. it's for the ladies' eyes only, and even then they have to demonstrate that they are within 50 hive skill points of my own (preferable lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid.
    antou
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members Posts: 624 Advanced user
    NO Cyril, when they're dead they're just hookers!
    Mouse
  • BestProfileNameBestProfileName Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177320Members Posts: 448 Advanced user
    Got over 1000 hours, only ever happened to me once. I think I saw it once in a competitive game, too.
  • antouantou France Join Date: 2016-07-24 Member: 220615Members Posts: 60 Advanced user
    edited December 4
    @BestProfileName it happened to me during an ENSL match, I can't seem to find the replay on twitch, but I remember there was a lot of confusion :D
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow Posts: 1,237 Advanced user
    Of nearly 14 years of playing the NS series, I've only ever happen to see this ONCE, you sir are part of the privileged few, enjoy this moment!
    Today's rookies are tomorrow's vets.

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

George Carlin.
  • TinCanTinCan Join Date: 2006-12-11 Member: 59010Members Posts: 359 Advanced user
    Seen it once while playing. That was a fun game leading up to the draw too so we were all pleased!

I suppose another way it could be a draw is if all players go to the readyroom at the same time. That would take some coordination on its own. 20 players, "OK ready?" "ready" "not yet" "Ready?" "OK" "5, 4, 3" "wait!" "ok" "ready?" "OK" "5, 4, 3..." "now?"

• antouantou France Join Date: 2016-07-24 Member: 220615Members Posts: 60 Advanced user
    How does Hive cope with draws by the way ? ^^
    BestProfileNameKouji_San
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands, Hoogezand Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue Posts: 14,947 Advanced user
    edited December 6
    antou wrote: »

After three times, the Universe uninstalls the human race and will reboot. So we've got two times left before the end times are here

Existence Unknown

• .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members Posts: 624 Advanced user
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    antou wrote: »

After three times, the Universe uninstalls the human race and will reboot. So we've got two times left before the end times are here

GAME OVER MAN!
    NO Cyril, when they're dead they're just hookers!
    Kouji_San
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow Posts: 1,529 Advanced user
    How many times have we been reset?
    To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to play Natural Selection 2. The gameplay is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of military strategy and advanced mathematics you won't even win a single game. Theres also the game's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into the game. The maps and artwork draw heavily from Riddley Scott's Alien franchise, for instance. The players understand this stuff, they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depth of the game, to realise that it's not just great, that it also says something about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Natural Selection 2 truly ARE idiots. of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in the Marines' existential catchphrase "how do I get to be so good", which itself is a cryptic reference to the high degree of intelligence required to play the game as intended. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion when spectating a game. What fools... how I pity them. And, yes, by the way, i DO have a Fade tatoo. And no, you cannot see it. it's for the ladies' eyes only, and even then they have to demonstrate that they are within 50 hive skill points of my own (preferable lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid.
    edited December 6
    How many times have we been reset?

We are right now in the forty-second Universe

Post edited by Kouji_San on

Existence Unknown

SquishpokePOOPFACE
    How do I go back?
    edited December 7
    How do I go back?

Well there are a few hypothetical ways to go back in time, here are a few mainstream options. Build yourself a spaceship and slingshot around a star, we have the 1.21 Giggawatt car driven at 88Mph, borrow H.G. Wells' time machine or get yourself a TT Capsule and ask an odd looking fellow with a PHD in WTF to take you on a trip back to the past. Perhaps we can exploit the Spark Engine's ability to reset the Universe, without uninstalling humanity to take us all back to the beginning...

Although I'm not entirely sure if "going back in time" applies to going back to earlier models of the Universe, you'd might need more energy than is available in the entire Universe... I mean before every reset, what or where is time.

Also how many Duracell is required to "keep going" :trollface:

And with all that bull honky, I'll leave you in the capable hands of mr. Arnold here

mqdefault.jpg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W6as8oVcuM

Existence Unknown

MouseSquishpokePOOPFACE
    edited December 8
    Perhaps it would be easier to build the machine from Primer and build a causality loop in which my quantum-states can prevent such an event from occurring. I'll have to create several Steam accounts and play NS2 with different names, on different computers at different locations, and keep track of the servers I play on with a written notepad that iterates through several different timelines until it reaches SquishpokePOOPFACE-Prime, who then can deliver written instructions to SquishpokePOOPFACE-subprimes 000-???? in order to prevent any paradox events that may occur as a result. I'll probably have to designate a fail-safe SquishpokePOOPFACE "SuperPrime," or "Alpha" to have control of the origin machine without giving that knowledge to SquishpokePOOPFACE-Prime (and subsequent subprimes), in order to prevent a rogue agent from deviating from the agreed-upin quantum states by terminating the origin loop if necessary. Depending on the results of the origin loop, SquishpokePOOPFACE-Alpha may need to oversee and design several loops in parallel in order to prevent the NS2 tie-game from eliminating all known quantum states that we have worked so hard to keep in existence. In fact, now that I think on this more, SquishpokePOOPFACE-Alpha needs to be kept in check by another SquishpokePOOPFACE that does not know how to build the machines. We can designate this version as SquishpokePOOPFACE-Omega, who has a remote-controlled activator for a cyanide pill secretly installed inside of SquishpokePOOPFACE-Alpha.
    eqlr2b36t4x7.jpeg

MouseKouji_San