Change "Databank entry unlocked" to "Databank entry created" for immersion

0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
"Unlocked" means it was pre-existing and is now available. If the fiction was actually reality, though, the Scanner would create a new, previously non-existent entry from scratch ("created").

Comments

• TheWyzardTheWyzard NYC Join Date: 2016-03-17 Member: 214341Members
  • AkuMasterofMastersAkuMasterofMasters Join Date: 2017-09-10 Member: 232934Members
    Never thought about that
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    Absolutely correct. Better still, it's a quick and essentially free fix, too. Who's our new guy on bug hunt detail? We should ping him for this.

(I'm terrible with names. The only admin names on here I know off the top of my head are the MP-thread-killing Foxy and Obraxis...mainly because someone went bats on his planet a while back and that's why there are no minigun plans in my PDA anymore.)
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Absolutely correct. Better still, it's a quick and essentially free fix, too. Who's our new guy on bug hunt detail? We should ping him for this.

(I'm terrible with names. The only admin names on here I know off the top of my head are the MP-thread-killing Foxy and Obraxis...mainly because someone went bats on his planet a while back and that's why there are no minigun plans in my PDA anymore.)

You're looking for @Belgarel , but I don't know if he does this kind of thing, or strictly code fixes (unsure of UWE internal job description and how they have their workforce structured, whether more lax, or more controlled).
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    And for that matter, why does the PDA show the name of resources and fish before you scan them? It seems silly that we 'know' what a Peeper or Limestone is before we've even scanned them. Maybe as a thing, since the game "knows" which items have and haven't been scanned yet, they could show up as "Unknown Fish" or "Generic Resource" until scanned. Or if it's easier just have unknown entities appear as "?????" or just blank out the tooltip until it's been scanned.
  • JarinJarin Los Angeles Join Date: 2013-12-16 Member: 190184Members
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    And for that matter, why does the PDA show the name of resources and fish before you scan them? It seems silly that we 'know' what a Peeper or Limestone is before we've even scanned them. Maybe as a thing, since the game "knows" which items have and haven't been scanned yet, they could show up as "Unknown Fish" or "Generic Resource" until scanned. Or if it's easier just have unknown entities appear as "?????" or just blank out the tooltip until it's been scanned.

This one I have to argue gameplay trumping immersion. New players need to know to go seek out creepvine seeds for rubber at the very least. Likewise knowing they should get coral for bleach. Neither of those is immediately intuitive.
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    Jarin wrote: »
    Tarkannen wrote: »

This one I have to argue gameplay trumping immersion. New players need to know to go seek out creepvine seeds for rubber at the very least. Likewise knowing they should get coral for bleach. Neither of those is immediately intuitive.

I'm not so sure, myself. I mean, there's really only one vine-like thing in the game, and that's creepvine. Coral, I'm sure someone has seen a picture by the time they open Subnautica for the first time. However, for basic, universal things - limestone, lithium, really anything not confined to 4546B - then pre-existing identification makes plenty of sense. But for creatures new to science, then I'd have to say the "?????" idea not only makes sense, but would be a preferable edit.
  • Sample_TextSample_Text Join Date: 2016-12-13 Member: 224913Members
    nice idea ign 11/10