Falling out of Cyclops

CryoconCryocon Ohio Join Date: 2017-10-20 Member: 233632Members
This is going to be a bit lengthy because I'm going to have to give a bit of background. I'm doing "no cheats" play through on stable 55670(?), can never remember the number. I finally farmed enough material for bases in the Lost River and Ghost Tree areas. I was using the entrance near lifepod 2 through the blood kelp. Once I got down to 501 meters, my cyclops dutifully reminded me that I had not yet installed the necessary depth module to go deeper. So I backed up into a cavern, collected the materials from my lockers, and proceeded to fabricate the module. I began to notice that my cyclops was moving, kind of like the way lifepod 5 now moves with the waves, but didn't think anything of it until I found myself dropping to the bottom of the cavern, no longer safely aboard my cyclops. Cutting to the end, I fell out of the cyclops 3 times before I could get the module installed and the cyclops under way. I'm wondering what type of glitch/bug might cause this. If I were less health conscious and was not at full health when this occured, I would have died. It treated the drop as if I were falling off a mountain on dry land.

Comments

• DonHewgodookoDonHewgodooko United Kingdom Join Date: 2018-01-31 Member: 236380Members
    I've had exactly the same thing occur on multiple occasions. My Cyclops will slowly start drifting and then I suddenly fall through the floor. I've got a high-end pc and its running on an SSD, this is really frustrating and ruining this otherwise great game for me.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    @Belgarel ▲ might be linked to the earlier video I mentioned where the streamer is slowly sliding along the Cyclops.
  • HalHal Join Date: 2018-02-01 Member: 236438Members
    One time I was opening the hatch to the bridge, and when the door hit my character it launched me through the front window, injured my character, and catapulted me about 2,000m away to the west. Luckily I splashed down without more injury and used my seaglide to get back to the Cyclops, which was floating about 50 feet in the air when I approached it, and as soon as I could touch it it splashed back down into the water.

So....I don't touch the hatches anymore. :)
    edited February 2018
    Hal wrote: »
    One time I was opening the hatch to the bridge, and when the door hit my character it launched me through the front window, injured my character, and catapulted me about 2,000m away to the west. Luckily I splashed down without more injury and used my seaglide to get back to the Cyclops, which was floating about 50 feet in the air when I approached it, and as soon as I could touch it it splashed back down into the water.

So....I don't touch the hatches anymore. :)

I see you found the Emergency Crew Evacuation System!
  • _alphaBeta__alphaBeta_ NJ, USA Join Date: 2018-02-07 Member: 237099Members
    I've had this happen multiple times already within an hour of building the cyclops. Occurrences so far as follows and most were preceded by the cyclops jittering and my character sliding across the interior decks slowly. Happens with or without a Seamoth docked. This sometimes seemed to follow interaction with interior items I've built via the habitat builder, specifically interior grow beds above the cyclops dock. So far I've added near a dozen wall mounted storage lockers to the lower deck, a few on the upper deck, a fabricator, battery charger, numerous pots and an interior growbed.

I've "fallen" out of the front window and hit the ocean bottom. I essentially teleport through the glass and wind up right on the other side of it. This has NOT happened while at the controls yet. During the duration of the fall I'm in air gravity (can breathe etc.) and fall to the ocean floor like I'm falling off a cliff on an island. Upon reaching the ocean floor there's a splash animation and I'm once again correctly recognized as being in water and can swim. This happened multiple times right off the safe shallows on the edge of the kelp forest near the lava vent. I had initially built the cyclops there and barely moved it so far, though interior modifications were already underway (not sure if that matters yet). After some of these occurrences, the cyclops would float to the surface by itself. It was too new and didn't go anywhere yet to have the floater problem I've read about elsewhere. Plus, it didn't keep surfacing like if a floater was attached.

I'll note while still in the safe shallows that sometimes the jitter would lead to the cyclops surfacing itself, sometimes unrelated to falling out of it, and sometimes with me still in it. I had left the engine running thinking that was necessary to maintain depth. While that seemed to help, I think it was just coincidental.

More severe occurrences noted in the grand reef at about 350m near
    the ghost leviathan guarding the slim volcanic vents. (Sneaking in there and building thermal generators with that ghost leviathan right there was really something)
    In this case, I "fell" through the side/bottom of the hull and hit the bottom, this time killing me. While I'm dying, the entire cyclops fell from its position shortly after and hit the bottom as well. Like #1 above, it seems like both myself and the cyclops forgot they were in water and fell through air gravity until they impacted the ocean floor.

Before I found this report, I've noted that the problems seem to dissipate when the cyclops is no longer in close proximity to seabed. This includes the ocean bottom, cliffs, rock formations, etc. Needs more testing, but leaving the cyclops floating in mid-ocean seems to help substantially. I wound up biting the bullet and just using my seaglide to go back and forth from a habitat I was building in the area and leaving the cyclops hovering 80-100m from the site and any other objects.

Cryocon wrote: »
    ...So I backed up into a cavern...
    I clued in on this right away. You casually mention it, but I'm thinking this either is the problem or a strong factor in it. I'd recommend those having this problem see if the problem is better away from seabed and obstacles. It's the common denominator for me so far. Current theory is that both the player and cyclops (when the player is in it) seem to glitch and when close to seabed or other objects.

I bet something bugged out when they fixed the bug where the Cyclops would get stuck in the terrain sometimes.
  • _alphaBeta__alphaBeta_ NJ, USA Join Date: 2018-02-07 Member: 237099Members
    So proximity to objects (including reefbacks I believe I just found out) definitely seems to make this worse. Either way, there's some major issues with the cyclops right now. I started glitching through the wall and wound up on top of the sub. I was walking along the top like I was walking on dry land. Then I got launched 500m off in another direction and landed randomly in the ocean. Warping back to near the sub, it was floating about 50m above the surface. When I approach, it falls to the ocean and sinks to about 50m. I enter the sub, and all is well like nothing happened. Very odd indeed.

I did note that once the glitching starts it sometimes "accelerates" and gets progressively worse right up to where I teleport somewhere I'm not supposed to be. Watching my feet on the lower deck I started sinking into the floor, and my position kept being reset. It's almost like the game is sensing that I'm drifting out of bounds and keeps fighting itself to place me somewhere where I should be. Eventually it looks like it gets it wrong. Of course the issue is the glitching to begin with.

Could still be coincidence, but it feels like the problem can be started by interacting with items I've built on the sub as previously reported. I'll keep working at this, but it makes using the cyclops a lot more difficult than it should be. Definitely the most game breaking issue I've come across so far.
  • dalienadaliena US Join Date: 2018-02-21 Member: 238015Members
    Same issue here. I have been in somewhat close proximity to the seabed in Blood Kelp biome. Left the cyclops there while going to Lost River. Cyclops is pretty much fully upgraded with plants and ummm few storage cabinets there :). All has been okay until I logged in today. As I walked towards the front of the cyclops to pilot it - I fell out onto the seabed, hurt the player but I was not that far from the sea floor to die. Used sea glide to get back to cyclops. Stood inside for a little bit and found myself on top of cyclops. Oxygen is not being depleted, as if I am still inside the cyclops. Thought this could be my internet connection. It is a pretty bad storm right now and my internet gets affected by the weather so switched to mobile hotspot which is a bit better - same issue. Tried another save (no cyclops there) then went back to this save again. Issue persists - spawned on top of the cyclops. But jumped off again, took damage, used seaglide to get back inside. This time was able to quickly grab the controls of the cyclops, turn engine on and start going. Left the Blood Kelp area, went back to base - all good so far, no issues. Have to mention at some point I also have been catapulted super high into the air (while trying to dock seamoth into cyclops) once I fell back into the water I was about 2000m away from my base, along with cyclops in the dead zone right in front of ghost leviathan... yeah.... I died fairly quickly of course... Once I spawned back I was still about 2000m away, in the water, cyclops was floating vertically nearby. Took a bit to get back to the base of course but this has not happened since then. Only the new issue of falling out came up now. Submitted the report in game - hopefully this will get fixed. Have no clue as far as what could be the cause. Doubt it is being far away from the sea floor as someone pointed out earlier.
  • NartwoGamesNartwoGames Iowa, USA Join Date: 2018-02-25 Member: 238253Members
    This is something that is happening to me right now as well. I thought something looked a little off when I was organizing my lockers in the Cyclops. I had left the game running for a moment while I left the room, and when I got back, I shot up and out of the Cyclops, and fell down onto it taking fall damage. I kept getting shot up and falling over and over. The first time this happened I jumped off the Cyclops and right before I hit the ground, it detected that I was in water. The second time... not so lucky! This happened where
    the Lost River Meets the ILZ. By the beautiful tree!
  • khyeronkhyeron In front of my computers. Join Date: 2016-01-31 Member: 212378Members
    edited May 2019
    I've been thinking this is a Unity thing. I don't remember being teleported outside of the sub, and strangely, it seems to only happen when the sub is hit by a Reef Leviathan just right (and forced to roll along its length axis.) I assume the Cyclops itself is a Rigidbody object, containing the player, another rigid body object. I've had incredible bugs working in Unity with rigid body physics objects. That said, getting my Cyclops pummeled for the first time by that Reaper Leviathan patrolling that wreck just past the mushroom forest (where I felt invincible punching Bone Sharks to death with the Prawn Suit) while picking up Lithium blocks, I didn't get ejected, as it seems the sub's tail kept getting knocked up. One massive engine and lower section fire and a half dozen hull breaches later, I stopped moving the sub, turned on silent running and crawled away until the engine fire killed the power. It stopped attacking. I was pretty surprised, since it kept up just fine while I moved at flanking speed with the lights on. One solid sub flipping hit every 5 to 8 seconds. End result? A fire extinguisher at 44%, and system power at 40% in the Cyclops, a half dozen or more hull breaches leaking water, and oh, 380 health out of 1500. Kind of regret not recording it, very hilarious. Scary as hell at night, and scarier still if I'd been doing it in VR, seeing that dead eyed Reaper blaze past my front glass just after a hard, sub shaking hit. I wonder if this could be some issue with the angular drag or some other value in the Unity inspector? Because while the sub is moving, I never got kicked out and the sub never got spun like an airborne top by any impact, either. It moves as if it were in the water. However, I just fired up the game to relax a few minutes ago, parked above the red kelp area where the jelly shroom cave entrance is near the shallows. A reef leviathan was above the sub when I finally made my way back to it, it was dark, but the sub was spinning like a top along its length axis, it was still spinning when I got back from being teleported into the ground some 200 meters away. I managed to safely swim OUT of that presumably "terrain" object... thankfully.

I assume the reason players aren't kicked out of bases the same way, is because while players are physics objects (rigid body objects in Unity terms) the bases themselves are some form of static objects. Even heavily damaged sea bases with low integrity just flood, they never seem to genuinely get destroyed, though I haven't tried attaching lots of lights and windows to a base in the shroom forest and letting the bone sharks have a field day... I'm actually curious how it was done since I'd love to try my hand at figuring it out. I wasn't working with Unity when I first started posting here and haven't posted in awhile. I do own the game on both PC and PS4, and have to say the PC version is breathtaking (the reflective surfaces inside the cyclops, wow...) The PS4 version less so, but still beautiful and fun, if it didn't run out of memory loading textures when traveling long distances quickly. Often there will be huge chunks of terrain failing to load, and I'm assuming these are each terrain objects loaded independently?

Just my ten cents, because this issue is annoying as HELL!! I'm starting to think I'd be safer just putting a perimeter defense on a seamoth and simply taking that puppy down to bases above 900 meters, and using the cyclops only to carry a couple of prawns to deeper bases? I haven't built under 900 m yet because I frankly haven't had enough time to go exploring that deep.