Anybody play this in VR?

aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
How is VR in this game? I'm not willing to shell out hundreds of dollars for a dedicated VR kit like the vive, but am thinking more a cheaper phone-oriented version instead. Anybody tried it?

Comments

• SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    I haven't tried that. I do have a friend that has this game and the Occulus Rift, and it's pretty amazing. Everything feels bigger in VR. The last time I tried it, he was having some trouble wiht the controls though. Not sure if that's been ironed out.
  • Someonestolema02Someonestolema02 BC canada Join Date: 2016-08-03 Member: 220950Members
    aeroripper wrote: »
    How is VR in this game? I'm not willing to shell out hundreds of dollars for a dedicated VR kit like the vive, but am thinking more a cheaper phone-oriented version instead. Anybody tried it?

Not sure you understand VR. Cell phone VR is poop and a entirely different platform. No, you can't play Subnautica on a cellphone, in VR.

This game is GLORIOUS in VR. It's not perfect though, it has issues namely i/o activity hitching /asset loading hitching, and the game is early access.

I reccomend a Rift. It's cheaper and just as good, unless you want a enormous play space. The Rift is good enough for 3mx 3m. Vive can do upwards of twice that. Most people barely have 3m x3m if not less so it's a non issue and it comes down to price. I believe Rift w/ Touch is like $400 American now. It's a steal. I payed $900 CAD + $200-ish last December for Touch...lol
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited November 2017

Not sure you understand VR. Cell phone VR is poop and a entirely different platform. No, you can't play Subnautica on a cellphone, in VR.

This game is GLORIOUS in VR. It's not perfect though, it has issues namely i/o activity hitching /asset loading hitching, and the game is early access.

I reccomend a Rift. It's cheaper and just as good, unless you want a enormous play space. The Rift is good enough for 3mx 3m. Vive can do upwards of twice that. Most people barely have 3m x3m if not less so it's a non issue and it comes down to price. I believe Rift w/ Touch is like $400 American now. It's a steal. I payed $900 CAD + $200-ish last December for Touch...lol

There's a tutorial for getting it working in cellphone VR in my signature. 2nd link.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    Its my understanding that VR development has resumed (it was left behind for a while to focus on the regular PC build). However, its unclear if it will be "ready" by the ~January release date.

Certainly UWE intends to stick to its plan to fully support VR. However, I'd not yet commit if you want to do VR only.
  • Someonestolema02Someonestolema02 BC canada Join Date: 2016-08-03 Member: 220950Members
    edited November 2017
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    There's a tutorial for getting it working in cellphone VR in my signature. 2nd link.

Not gonna bother looking but I can guess It's probably streaming.

edit: ok I looked., Yup it's streaming. edit: I'll save the explanation. I guess some folks with no money enjoy it, but ya...that's not cell phone VR. That's your PC streaming to your cellphone which is acting as a display.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    If you're determined to try the VR experience, but don't have money, that's the only way until you can find a GPU + VR headset
  • AkuMasterofMastersAkuMasterofMasters Join Date: 2017-09-10 Member: 232934Members
    I've never tried any kind of VR before, but I REALLY want to, I should start saving and stockpiling cash
  • zugbozugbo Join Date: 2017-11-10 Member: 233930Members
    I've got a vive and tried out the current VR stuff. If you are like the majority of the population, you will get motion sick very quickly because there are no vr movement options other than direct controller mappings. just swimming around to look at things is extremely uncomfortable, which is a shame because it's all there is to do right now (and there's some GREAT sights I wanted to see).

you can't pick up anything which is one of the big draws of vr. the interface is a pda... why not just make it usable as a pda with your hand? let you hold the repair or construction tools and use them naturally? really pet the cuddlefish? i'm aware of the months of dedicated ui work that this would require, but until this kind of thing is implemented the vr mode is really not living up to its incredible potential.
    edited November 2017
    I am perfectly fine with the games confines for a VR experience. I don't think it needs motion controller support, and I don't get sick at all.

I just want the stutter and pop in fixed.