Just a quick reminder: if you've got a 32-bit processor, chances are you can upgrade to 64-bit

0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
You'd need to know the socket type and max supported processor for your particular motherboard model (check your manufacturer specifications page as well as googling).

You can usually nab one on eBay or Amazon once you've got the part number of the CPU you want (check seller ratings, you want 95% or above positive feedback with thousands of sales).

Once you've upgraded the processor (watch several YouTube videos, especially paying attention to ones for your particular socket type - also don't forget the thermal paste and DON'T put too much on, I use Arctic Silver 5 personally) you'll also have to upgrade your OS to 64-bit.

Windows OS licenses are good for either 32-bit or 64-bit, as long as you're only using one type at a time (so, you're replacing the 32-bit version with a 64-bit version on the same machine). You can find and back up your product key with something like the Magical JellyBean Keyfinder if you can't find a sticker on your case (some virus scanners incorrectly trigger on this cause it reads your product key).

Windows XP might be the exception there, but no one should be using that at this point anyways (yes, there was a 64-bit version of Windows XP, but it wasn't popular due to not having good driver support at all).

Anyways, you're probably looking a $20-$50 max, maybe a bit more, but I doubt it as any processor more expensive than that probably didn't have any 32-bit brethren. (Yes, I've done this before, on my sister-in-law's laptop, upgrading a single-core, 32-bit pentium (or was it Celeron?) to a Core2Duo.) And yes, you can usually upgrade laptop CPUs, however please note it's a massive PITA (don't break any cable clips and keep track of screw sizes and locations).