What power generator do you use the most

124»

Comments

• KurasuKurasu Join Date: 2017-06-24 Member: 231322Members
    I found an entire Nuclear reactor in the jellyshroom caves (you get directed there fairly early compared to when you get directed to Lifepod 19) *long* before I found my first fragment of the thermal reactor (and I haven't completed it yet).

You'd *think* you could find thermal before nuclear, but finding the plan isn't until you've been able to get fairly deep. Unless I'm missing shards somewhere.
  • Hulkie2345Hulkie2345 New York Join Date: 2017-08-23 Member: 232598Members
    edited October 2017
    Kurasu wrote: »
    I found an entire Nuclear reactor in the jellyshroom caves (you get directed there fairly early compared to when you get directed to Lifepod 19) *long* before I found my first fragment of the thermal reactor (and I haven't completed it yet).

You'd *think* you could find thermal before nuclear, but finding the plan isn't until you've been able to get fairly deep. Unless I'm missing shards somewhere.

Well the frags are RNG. I've had play throughs where the prop gun only spawned in two wrecks. none near the ship. So it took ages to go in the Aurora. Other times I had everything you can get outside of wrecks. Except the Laser Cutter. They were badly hidden in the red areas. Or the frags didn't spawn enough. I had to cheat unlock it. Get the scanner room. And found all of them buried under the red crap.
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    edited October 2017
    Hulkie2345 wrote: »

Well the frags are RNG. I've had play throughs where the prop gun only spawned in two wrecks. none near the ship. So it took ages to go in the Aurora. Other times I had everything you can get outside of wrecks. Except the Laser Cutter. They were badly hidden in the red areas. Or the frags didn't spawn enough. I had to cheat unlock it. Get the scanner room. And found all of them buried under the red crap.

It really surprises me to hear about trouble finding the Propulsion Cannon. In ever one of my game starts, I've always found fragments right next to the Aurora--I mean... like a dozen of them. But, like you, I had a lot of trouble finding the Laser Cutter because they seemed to place hard to see fragments in and around the plants and stuff. This past week, though, I started a new game and found all its fragments in easy to spot boxes, thankfully!

It used to be I'd find ALL the nuclear fragments in the 'Shroom Cave Base. But lately, I find at most one Nuclear Plant fragment--if I find any at all. It's like they really randomized the stuff you get from there. About the only thing I count on from there is the Water Filtration Machine.
    I'd say they definitely randomized them, because I just went down for the first time and got every piece of the reactor. Only one fragment for the power cell recharger, on the other hand.
  • baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members

You don't get directed to the Jellyshroom Caves until you've been to the Floating Island. You don't get directed to the Floating Island until you've been to Lifepod 19. The Lifepod 19 wrecks are an extremely reliable source of Thermal Plant fragments as well as Moonpool fragments (not to mention the VUC databox).

(That is, if you're playing Experimental. If you're playing Stable, I couldn't tell you what is where or what the progression is with certainty.)

You don't get directed to the Jellyshroom Caves until you've been to the Floating Island. You don't get directed to the Floating Island until you've been to Lifepod 19. The Lifepod 19 wrecks are an extremely reliable source of Thermal Plant fragments as well as Moonpool fragments (not to mention the VUC databox).

(That is, if you're playing Experimental. If you're playing Stable, I couldn't tell you what is where or what the progression is with certainty.)

I'm playing experimental, and Jellshroom Caves is the cave system you're given directions to as of Lifepod 17. I wasn't aware you were given a direction after that as well.
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    When you do get directed to the caves? I have the pda messages from the Degasi Trio but they just point 'down' which I presume is their grand reef base. Can confirm on stable the pod right before getting to the floater island has a wreck nearby that is littered with thermal and moonpool fragments.
    Ralij wrote: »
    When you do get directed to the caves? I have the pda messages from the Degasi Trio but they just point 'down' which I presume is their grand reef base. Can confirm on stable the pod right before getting to the floater island has a wreck nearby that is littered with thermal and moonpool fragments.

Pod 17 is specifically located near 'a cave system', which can easily be found not far from it. That system is the jellyshroom caves (in fact it's implied they're being attacked by a crabsnake.... at least that was always my assumption since they describe it as a 'snake-like fish' and they're near the jellyshrooms).

Pod 17 is specifically located near 'a cave system', which can easily be found not far from it. That system is the jellyshroom caves (in fact it's implied they're being attacked by a crabsnake.... at least that was always my assumption since they describe it as a 'snake-like fish' and they're near the jellyshrooms).

Oh duh. That's right, I'm a derp.

I'm playing experimental, and Jellshroom Caves is the cave system you're given directions to as of Lifepod 17. I wasn't aware you were given a direction after that as well.

For most of my games, the data pads on the Floating Island told you "generally* where to find the Degasi base in the Jellyshroom Cave. But now they've added a PING on the map that points straight to the base. Pretty cool.
    garath wrote: »

For most of my games, the data pads on the Floating Island told you "generally* where to find the Degasi base in the Jellyshroom Cave. But now they've added a PING on the map that points straight to the base. Pretty cool.

Nice. :o I didn't get that ping yet; I must not have gotten the right data pad (or read it)! I thought I got all the data pads on the island. Apparently not.
    edited October 2017
    garath wrote: »

Nice. :o I didn't get that ping yet; I must not have gotten the right data pad (or read it)! I thought I got all the data pads on the island. Apparently not.

Then again, I also first came to the island through the 'Gun Gate', so I may have gone slightly out of order. ;)
  • JarinJarin Los Angeles Join Date: 2013-12-16 Member: 190184Members

Then again, I also first came to the island through the 'Gun Gate', so I may have gone slightly out of order. ;)

The pad is the one along the edge-of-island path, just down the way from the valley outpost on the floating island. It's one that's kind of easy to miss if you don't walk the perimeter.

Is this the pad you mean?
    nsd8m0jzxbg4.jpg
    Because if so, it would explain why I couldn't (and still can't!) find it; I can't interact with that pad at all. :)
  • RecursionRecursion The cosmos Join Date: 2017-07-01 Member: 231505Members
    Thermal reactors give reliable, sustainable, round-the-clock power. You just set them running and leave them there. It doesn't matter if the sun sets, or anything else happens. You will always have power.
  • Mr_Creeper543Mr_Creeper543 England Join Date: 2017-10-26 Member: 233726Members
    All of them! If I'm out exploring and the boi reactor runs out, it's fine! I've still got nuclear, thermal and solar to keep me going till I get home!
  • Carlo33Carlo33 Germany Join Date: 2017-10-26 Member: 233728Members
    edited October 2017
    All of them! Depending on the situation and available resources.

In my opinion the bio reactor needs a change.

Bio just got no real drawbacks and got the same advantages and the same concept as the Nuclear solution with a less painful maintenance. Till around 1000 m where every additional room hurts. At least if you want some windows.

Lets just do the same as Solar and Thermal with Bio and Nuclear. The same concept but at the other end of the spectrum.

With Nuclear we got a high maintenance high energy generation solution. Bio can be a versatile high capacity solution.
    Turn the power per second (pps) down to 0.3 the storage up to 2500 and you got a solution that can power a WFM till its full. But more a solution for the supply outpost, as you would need 2,5 hours to fill the storage.

Maybe implement that pps is dependent on the "food". Like big fish (2x2) = 0.3 pps and 1000 capacity (250 per field) and small fish (1x1) = 0.8 pps and just 25 capacity. The one solution for the capacity and the other for the fast energy which is a pain to maintain (like nuclear but worse). (A button to clear the inventory of the Reactor needs to be implemented, too.)

From a Lore perspective, the Solar, Thermal and Nuclear Generators use directly the energy in the form of heat (Nuclear and Thermal) or in the form of radiation from the sun. The Bio generator, needs to extract the energy first, because you can't just burn the stuff you put in there. Even wood has to dry at least some weeks before you can use it and whatever it does it has to take at least some time.
    By Nuclear you did this step already by crafting the Rods.

Some kind of tool to prioritize which power source should be used first would be nice, too. Like first Solar/Thermal -> Bio -> Nuclear.

Current status:

Solar:
    - high generation, 2 pps (power per second)
    - low capacity (75/150?)
    - depending on depth
    - depending on sun

Small, cheap and powerful depending on the situation.

Thermal:
    - medium generation, 0.8 pps
    - low storage (250)
    - can`t be placed everywhere.
    - needs transmitter

The inverted solar generator. The lower you are the easier to set up.

Bio:
    - medium generation, 0.8 pps
    - high storage (500 + 4000 as bio stuff)
    - needs its own room so it gets expensive at 1000 m.
    - needs easy manual maintenance

Powerful all rounder

Nuclear:

- high generation, 4 pps
    - high storage (2500 + 40000)
    - needs its own room, but you don't need many
    - needs complicated manual maintenance (you need to find stuff and can't just grow it in the same room)

Can be a pain to maintain, but needs less rooms as Bio. So a viable option at greater depth. Oh we can use thermal there? No maintenance? So just for the fun, the calming sound and 4 pps.

Was this is experimental or just rng? I searched the Jelly Shroom Caves entirely and didn't manage to find a single nuke fragment :disappointed:
    Thermals are a late game power source <snip>

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaa? How? Magnetite's easy to find, aerogel's easy enough to make, and a surfeit of fragments can be found near Lifepod 19.

I still consider the Dunes and Grand Reef to be late game. Though I guess they are more mid-game now...?

Was this is experimental or just rng? I searched the Jelly Shroom Caves entirely and didn't manage to find a single nuke fragment :disappointed:

Experimental. At and around the base.

Experimental. At and around the base.

Once upon a time, I'd get all the nuclear reactor fragments in the Jelly Shroom Caves. Over the summer until now, I've gotten at most *one* fragment for the nuclear reactor there. Often, I get none at all. So, they have definitely done a lot more work randomizing fragments. Once upon a time, I'd go there and get:

1. Moon Pool
    2. Vehicle Mod Station
    3. Water Filtration
    4. Nuclear Reactor

Lately, I get only:

1. Water Filtration
    2. Power Cell Charger
    3. One Vehicle Mod Station fragment

Fun discovery while testing something unrelated.
    This bad boy is powering a water filter all by itself:
    dsAmdqr.png
    Sheesh! Where in the world is it placed that you managed to get to 98 degrees? :o
  • Xenodrone98Xenodrone98 U.S Join Date: 2016-08-26 Member: 221726Members
    I generally take solar panels and power transmitters, but I always have at least a nuclear or bioreactor
    Sheesh! Where in the world is it placed that you managed to get to 98 degrees? :o

There's a hole down to the caverns due east of the mountain island, that's sort of a back path into the DRF, and there's some thermal vents in that tunnel. I was obviously getting a bit cooked trying to place that.
  • TheFatesTheFates Join Date: 2017-11-12 Member: 233956Members
    I just want a central battery mechanic for bases so that it feels good to use multiple power sources.
  • EkksuEkksu Lost River Join Date: 2017-06-08 Member: 231016Members
    I'd love to use thermal, but I'm picky about views and I can never find a good spot near a vent (plus the vents themselves are ugly af). I've never built a base deep enough I needed something besides solar, but if I did I'd probably go with bio if only so I can justify all the lantern fruit I grow just for decoration. And alien containment, considering I tend to play freedom.
    TheFates wrote: »
    I just want a central battery mechanic for bases so that it feels good to use multiple power sources.
    I'd think the simpler solution from a coding perspective would to just have machines draw from all power sources roughly evenly, rather than draining one before moving to the next.
    Personally, I would be happy with being able to tell the game which one you want to drain first, rather than having to build on a 'first in, first out' basis. That way if you built something with bioreactors, but then got a thermal generator, you don't have to unbuild and rebuild your bioreactors just to get the thermal as your #1 source.

Same with nuclear.
  • ErnieWErnieW tonasket WA Join Date: 2015-07-13 Member: 206134Members
    i use a combination of solar and bio reactor unless i am near a heat source. its funny long ago i tried the nuke thinking it would be cool and it soo wasn't worth it but i can load marble melons in the bio reactor after it stabilizes and run off for a while before it runs out of materials. works for me.