What power generator do you use the most

Comments

• JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    All the edible plants depend on finding Plant Pots or the Interior Growbed to scan, athough they are available in a few locations. And Lantern Fruit is still good for topping up the last few percent of thirst. I always have a tree in a base and on the Cyclops.
  • elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    A single plant pot with a lantern fruit tree also takes up a lot less space than a grow bed. And I was going to say that for remote bases I'd probably have a grow bed there, anyway, but who am I kidding? I almost never build a base besides my first one in the shallows. At most I'll outfit a Cyclops to be a mobile base, but otherwise I just Seamoth/Prawn everywhere and then hoof it on back to the Shallows.
  • baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
    I used to go heavily into solar, but thanks to the recipe change ( :rage: ), I've more or less given up on it and gone bioreactor for my primary power supply. A couple interior growbeds with lantern fruit and I don't need to worry about power. When I go deep, like in the Lost River, I generally switch to nuclear mainly because the fuel is bloody everywhere down there. I just don't like how fast those rods deplete.

Which recipe change? When I was last on solar panels no longer required silver, but copper instead.
  • MorningafterMorningafter Join Date: 2017-09-08 Member: 232877Members
    edited October 2017
    So I'm playing on the Xbox one version and I swore I was able to feed my bio-reactor crab squids that I hatched yet its not letting me. Is this something new or is it bugged?
    @Morningafter Might be bugged, other people have mentioned similar.
  • KurasuKurasu Join Date: 2017-06-24 Member: 231322Members
    So I'm playing on the Xbox one version and I swore I was able to feed my bio-reactor crab squids that I hatched yet its not letting me. Is this something new or is it bugged?

I think you were misremembering; crabsquids have *never* been able to be used as fuel (certainly not in the last couple patches). They've only been fixed recently in the PC version.
  • Hulkie2345Hulkie2345 New York Join Date: 2017-08-23 Member: 232598Members
    edited October 2017
    adel_50 wrote: »
    From what I'm seeing thermal and nuclear reactors needs a boost and I think i have some ideas

1-reduce the reactor rod recipe or get multiple ones from the current recipe

2-slow the generation rate of power on the bio reactor and increase it slightly on the thermal and nuclear reactors

3-reduce the amount of energy that can be taken from each organic matter available

Feel free to discuss my suggestions

That's all good. But I'm still not switching to Nuclear. Unless my base is in an area where I can get it. Nerf the Bioreactor? I'll just make 13 instead of 12. The benefits outweigh any other power source in the game. I'd love to use all the power options in my base. But I just don't see the point. It's gonna be just one type. I'm even thanking the Solar Panels cost was increased. I didn't use bioreactors all that much before it. Than I went oooooooohhhhhhh. I'd go back to Solar panels if they made it so that you can build a foundation platform. Not apart of your base. Put Solar panels on that. Than transfer that power to your base. But the panels default to the platform they're on.
  • adel_50adel_50 Join Date: 2016-09-01 Member: 221973Members
    edited October 2017
    I think instead of reducing the reactor rods recipe you can recharge them by using the fabricator or the mod station by spending a few urninite crystals to charge it back up and maybe adding the ion reactor rods can be good but instead of charging it with urninite crystals you use ion cubes

And for the bio reactor instead of having a charge of 500 maybe tune it down to 250 as an early game power generator
    I think instead of reducing the reactor rods recipe you can recharge them by using the fabricator or the mod station by spending a few urninite crystals to charge it back up and maybe adding the ion reactor rods can be good but instead of charging it with urninite crystals you use ion cubes

I wouldn't waste ion cubes to recharge rods that I
    1: could make new ones with more easily available sources (ion cubes aren't common after all!)
    2: am not planning to use anyway; this would *discourage* me from using nuclear, quite honestly, rather than *encourage*.
    Kurasu wrote: »

1: could make new ones with more easily available sources (ion cubes aren't common after all!)
    2: am not planning to use anyway; this would *discourage* me from using nuclear, quite honestly, rather than *encourage*.

Ok I give up I like the nuclear reactors you can't take that away from me lol
    edited October 2017

No one said that lol. The game gives you options and that's a good thing.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    edited October 2017
    I lost count of how many I use of these. If gonna guess the amount of times I use them on all my worlds I will guess I have built like 600 of them.
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    I used to go heavily into solar, but thanks to the recipe change ( :rage: ), I've more or less given up on it and gone bioreactor for my primary power supply. A couple interior growbeds with lantern fruit and I don't need to worry about power. When I go deep, like in the Lost River, I generally switch to nuclear mainly because the fuel is bloody everywhere down there. I just don't like how fast those rods deplete.

Which recipe change? When I was last on solar panels no longer required silver, but copper instead.

Well, that one. :confused: When it was just quartz and titanium - both of which are plentiful - I had no problem going exclusively solar. But silver and even copper are enough of a pain to acquire pre-PRAWN mining/pre-scanner room that I'm not going to waste either one on solar panels.
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members

Well, that one. :confused: When it was just quartz and titanium - both of which are plentiful - I had no problem going exclusively solar. But silver and even copper are enough of a pain to acquire pre-PRAWN mining/pre-scanner room that I'm not going to waste either one on solar panels.

In the latest experimental, there is plenty of copper. I had no trouble building a pair of solar panels for my first x corridor base in the first hour or two so plus using copper to make batteries for all tools plus power cells for the MVB and Seamoth.

I still don’t understand why Kyanite isn’t the first thing mined with the PRAWN. Picking up all the limestone and sandstone, I always have plenty of everything I need—especially now that the vastly more common copper is used for solar panels and beacons.

I didn't say you had to give up the nuclear reactor. However, you don't have to make the other powers inferior to the nuclear reactor in order to force other people to use it. As others said, use what works best for you. For me, I like my bioreactors because of the flexibility, and the thermals because of the speed of power generation and never running out of fuel/sunlight. :)
    Looks as if your discussion had a result.... if perhaps not the one expected. In the adjustment notes:

- Balance: Doubled power output of bio reactor
    Looks as if your discussion had a result.... if perhaps not the one expected. In the adjustment notes:

- Balance: Doubled power output of bio reactor

The devs hates me
    DEVs nerfed Solar:

55113 /main 2017-10-16 13:38:56 Scott Thunelius - Balance: Nerf to Solar Panels; Half storage and greatly increased light falloff per depth
    edited October 2017
    garath wrote: »
    DEVs nerfed Solar:

55113 /main 2017-10-16 13:38:56 Scott Thunelius - Balance: Nerf to Solar Panels; Half storage and greatly increased light falloff per depth

I wonder if they will change something with the other power sorces as now there is no reason to use the nuclear reactor and very few situations to use the thermal reactor
    They nerfed the solar panels? I think that's excessive.
  • JarinJarin Los Angeles Join Date: 2013-12-16 Member: 190184Members
    DEVs nerfed Solar:

I wonder if they will change something with the other power sorces as now there is no reason to use the nuclear reactor and very few situations to use the thermal reactor

I suspect they will. Bioreactors are king now, which probably isn't the intended end result. I'll need to test the falloff once this change hits experimental but tentatively I'm thinking this is a good plan. If you want a massive solar array, you can still make it, but you have to build a conduit up to the surface if your base is at any depth. Makes working with solar a trade-off.

Again though, the problem remains that there's little reason to build at any real depth. Balance is good, but there's gotta be something to encourage bases. Unfortunately I can't think of anything to fix this that wouldn't be a major feature addition, and thus post-release. Stat-tweaking and balance in the meantime is still good.
    edited October 2017
    Jarin wrote: »
    DEVs nerfed Solar:

I suspect they will. Bioreactors are king now, which probably isn't the intended end result. I'll need to test the falloff once this change hits experimental but tentatively I'm thinking this is a good plan. If you want a massive solar array, you can still make it, but you have to build a conduit up to the surface if your base is at any depth. Makes working with solar a trade-off.

Again though, the problem remains that there's little reason to build at any real depth. Balance is good, but there's gotta be something to encourage bases. Unfortunately I can't think of anything to fix this that wouldn't be a major feature addition, and thus post-release. Stat-tweaking and balance in the meantime is still good.

I'm sure they want to encourage players to build more bases and I don't know what they'll do to nerf the bio reactor if they'll nerf it at all but the nuclear and thermal reactors now at this point in time are not worth building
    But the only nerf that might work is that in the lost river or the lava zone the temperature is too high or low to allow any edible plants to survive but that has to go also with the cyclops aswell
    edited October 2017
    I always build like 4 bases, by the time I cure the Carar. One in the Lost River, one in the Lava Lakes/ILZ, One near the gun platform, and one in a Blood Kelp field. Maybe a 5th one If I can get in a good spot so I can be below a Leviathan. but not trigger its attack. The small area that has a Cuddlefish near the front of the Aurora.
    So, just confirmed that two bioreactors will keep up with one water machine. Pretty nice, but now I really do wonder what the advantage of nuclear is, if anything. Will they somehow limit our ability to produce fuel for the bioreactors? Like they'll only accept, free range, wild caught matter?
    The advantage of a nuclear is that they go about 50x faster than a bioreactor, even if the reactor is twice as fast. That and they allow for a bigger power pool.... which admittedly doesn't mean that much if the speed is replacing it faster than it's running out.

If you're building a base with moonpools, a water filtration, *and* a scanner room? You're either going to need multiple rooms with multiple bioreactors, or one room with one nuclear plant. I'd personally go the 'multiple' route, but I can see people going for the 'compact base' style.
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    edited October 2017
    but the nuclear and thermal reactors now at this point in time are not worth building

Er, wut? Did they nerf thermals big time? How are bioreactors king? The only downside to thermals is needing to be near a vent or using power relays, but other than that... a thermal reactor is the best one available. At the current rates it takes 12 bioreactors to match the output of a single thermal reactor in the right spot and the thermal reactor requires no maintenance.

The amount of resources alone makes bioreactors hugely inefficient in comparison...

Thermal Plant:
    5 titanium
    2 magnetite
    1 aerogel

Bioreactors to produce similar power as a thermal:
    36 titanium
    24 silver (!!)
    12 lubricant
    +
    72 Titanium (for MP rooms to house them)
    +
    Needs to be maintained

The only place the bioreactor shines is early/early-mid game when you don't have access to thermal yet, but are too deep for solar or for outposts that don't have a serious energy requirement.
    edited October 2017
    Ralij wrote: »
    but the nuclear and thermal reactors now at this point in time are not worth building

Er, wut? Did they nerf thermals big time? How are bioreactors king? The only downside to thermals is needing to be near a vent or using power relays, but other than that... a thermal reactor is the best one available. At the current rates it takes 12 bioreactors to match the output of a single thermal reactor in the right spot and the thermal reactor requires no maintenance.

I agree with the 'no maintenence' part, but not the '12 bioreactors to match the output' part.
    1 bioreactor = 500 capacity = 50/minute (with the doubled)
    1 thermal = 250 capacity = 50/minute (at a high heat area... and why would you want to build them anywhere else?)

Output is definitely higher. Capacity is nowhere *near* 12 bioreactors.

Unless I am wrong about how much capacity a thermal has; I haven't built one in quite a while. They may have upped it from where it was.
    edited October 2017
    He's not talking capacity. He's talking power production speed. Thermal is around 1 per second whereas the Bioreactor is around 1 per 12 seconds. Thus, if you are using power as fast as you make it, you'd need 12 bioreactors to match the power production speed of Thermal.

subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Thermal_Plant

subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Bioreactor

Well, except now that I stop eating lunch and read the wiki, it says 5 energy per 12 seconds. Hmm...

If the bioreactor is 5 per 12 seconds, then isn't that 25 per minute versus around 50-60 per minute for Thermal? And if they double the bioreactor production rate, I'd guess one bioreactor would produce as fast as a thermal plant?
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    You have to be careful about the Wiki information and confirm in game. Right now it's definitely not keeping up with all changes to the Experimental game. May not even have all the changes to the Stable game.
    Well, except now that I stop eating lunch and read the wiki, it says 5 energy per 12 seconds. Hmm...

If the bioreactor is 5 per 12 seconds, then isn't that 25 per minute versus around 50-60 per minute for Thermal? And if they double the bioreactor production rate, I'd guess one bioreactor would produce as fast as a thermal plant?

Exactly my point. :) As long as the thermal is at max speed, it will now produce exactly as fast as a bioreactor. Except that it won't need feeding like a bioreactor does/will. Unless they *also* speed up the thermal plant, or make it higher capacity.

Which, to be honest, I wouldn't mind. I personally love how powerful thermal plants are; it's just that they are limited in where you can build them and get an advantage. Thermal energy is actually my #1 reason for Deep Reef building.

I *tried* to do one on the islands for the same reason, but bone sharks in the area kept eating my ship even when I wasn't in it, so not an option. :/