Quartz - am I missing something?

DannyRDannyR Bucharest, Romania Join Date: 2015-11-08 Member: 209102Members
So, I haven't been playing for awhile (3-4 updates) to let the game grow. To come back and see that I can't find quartz ANYWHERE on the surface. I have found 5 quartz in 2-3 caves, but none on the surface so to speak. Has the quartz been moved to caves only? Also, I mention that I started 3 new games (all with the same result), verified the integrity of the game, tried experimental as well as stable and went even in Kelp Forest and Grassy Plateaus. Even on a reefback. No quartz, whatsoever. Is this suppose to be this way now? Should I try to uninstall and reinstall...or...?

5x8zqe4emevn.jpg

Comments

• garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    They radically changed the locations for quartz. Now, it is much less common. If you find a large coral tube, you can find a ton there. Other than that, it is in various underground locations. But it is much less common than before.
  • DannyRDannyR Bucharest, Romania Join Date: 2015-11-08 Member: 209102Members
    Sooo....IT IS supposed to be this way....ok. Thank you for your reply.
  • elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    No, you've got it right. In the shallows, it's mostly in caves. You'll find some on the surface in the red grass zones, but the majority of non-cave quartz is in the Western Blood Kelp zone. It is /everywhere/ there, it's just a little hard to get to. Kind of annoying, but there you go.

Personally, I've found enough quartz in the caves/coral tunnels to suit my needs in the early game. Beats having to deal with Warpers and all that in the BKZ.
    I just built a Scanner Room and set it to look for Sandstone. Then, I want out and grabbed it all. I returned with enough Silver to bulid a couple more Solar Panels for my base--not that I need the power but just because I can. Except... I have enough silver for two more solar panel but not the Quartz. LOL. Isn't that crazy?
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    garath wrote: »
    I just built a Scanner Room and set it to look for Sandstone. Then, I want out and grabbed it all. I returned with enough Silver to bulid a couple more Solar Panels for my base--not that I need the power but just because I can. Except... I have enough silver for two more solar panel but not the Quartz. LOL. Isn't that crazy?

Yes, yes it is. The some of the changes in resource distributions and especially recipe changes...well, I'm just going to say this is the first update that made me like the game less and leave it at that.
  • Pilipin0_pridePilipin0_pride Join Date: 2017-09-29 Member: 233295Members
    Waaaiiit they changed the recipe for the solar panel too? I guess they did it in the favor of people like me who are broke on titanium but got a ton of silver.
  • NuclearTestingNuclearTesting Join Date: 2017-07-27 Member: 232082Members
    I am terrified of crashfish. Crashfish live in caves. Quartz is now pretty much exclusively in caves now. Help me.
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    I am terrified of crashfish. Crashfish live in caves. Quartz is now pretty much exclusively in caves now. Help me.

Carry several medpacks, trigger the crashfish and run (using a seaglide preferably). One can get the hang of it... it is just mine disposal afterall.
  • JarinJarin Los Angeles Join Date: 2013-12-16 Member: 190184Members
    It's counterintuitive, but you should swim towards crashfish. When they charge you, swim past. They can't turn around in time. In 90% of cases, this avoids all damage. And yeah, carry some medpacks if you're not sure about the timing.

Regarding quartz... at least the new recipies reduced the massive numbers you need, cutting a lot of things glass/quartz requirements in half, or even removing some (wall locker).
    @NuclearTesting The crashfish are a pain, yeah, but what other people said about the Seaglide is correct. Once you have one of those, they can't catch you, so just blow through the whole cave and trigger them all. You can even just turn around and go back the way you came and they still can't catch you. Mostly. Sometimes there's just bad luck.

Anyway I have consistent success with this.
    Jarin wrote: »
    It's counterintuitive, but you should swim towards crashfish. When they charge you, swim past. They can't turn around in time. In 90% of cases, this avoids all damage. And yeah, carry some medpacks if you're not sure about the timing.

Regarding quartz... at least the new recipies reduced the massive numbers you need, cutting a lot of things glass/quartz requirements in half, or even removing some (wall locker).

Sometimes the changes to the recipes can be a pain... I expected to need Glass to make a Hatch, lockers, etc. So, I pre-made a few pieces of glass. But now the recipes use Quartz. Oops! (I saved the Glass for the Cyclops)
  • JarinJarin Los Angeles Join Date: 2013-12-16 Member: 190184Members
    Sometimes the changes to the recipes can be a pain... I expected to need Glass to make a Hatch, lockers, etc. So, I pre-made a few pieces of glass. But now the recipes use Quartz. Oops! (I saved the Glass for the Cyclops)
    Yeah, I did exactly the same thing after the update landed.

• baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
    - You can find an overabundance of quartz in the Blood Kelp forests.
    - If you're a daredevil like me, try to hit the Crashfish with a knife when it gets close. If you succeed-- no explosion.
    - If you're a daredevil like me, try to hit the Crashfish with a knife when it gets close. If you succeed-- no explosion.

A video or it didn't happen. :)

@baronvonsatan ... I haven't tried killing the crashfish with a knife. This is going on my bucket list.

@Jarin Fun fact about swimming towards the danger: If you encounter a shark in the wild, especially a great white, swim towards it. They're actually an ambush predator of sorts, in that they'll only attack you from behind. So if you're like, "I see you, dude, don't try it." they'll turn away. I saw this in a documentary and it was hilarious. You could imagine the shark being embarrassed like, "What? I wasn't doing anything! I swear!"

Many predators are actually extremely cautious, they want to avoid getting hurt by their prey.
  • baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members

Video's not happening while I'm running with an Intel HD530 (that's right: no graphics card). But as long as you can kill them before they reach the highest point in their death scream, you'll get a visual explosion but take no damage. Be aware that they don't launch right at you from the pod; they launch out of the pod, and then head for you.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited October 2017

Video's not happening while I'm running with an Intel HD530 (that's right: no graphics card). But as long as you can kill them before they reach the highest point in their death scream, you'll get a visual explosion but take no damage. Be aware that they don't launch right at you from the pod; they launch out of the pod, and then head for you.

It's not much, but if you've got $80, this is the card I just got - it runs Crysis at 1080p on High settings, and runs Subnautica (so far) 1080p at highest settings with no difficulty: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150753

It'll tide you over until you can get a better one. Requires a 6-pin power connector. (You might have a 6+2 pin connector if you only have 8 pin connectors; check if that's the case.)
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    It's not much, but if you've got $80, this is the card I just got - it runs Crysis at 1080p on High settings, and runs Subnautica (so far) 1080p at highest settings with no difficulty: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150753

It'll tide you over until you can get a better one. Requires a 6-pin power connector. (You might have a 6+2 pin connector if you only have 8 pin connectors; check if that's the case.)

Yes, but. . . if I buy this, it'll be that much harder to make a case with my gf about us buying a GTX 1060. (My previous system was a refurbished Dell Optiplex 755 with a GT 730.)

Who knows-- maybe I'll win that "Upgrade My PC" thing Hardware Unboxed and TechSpot are running next season. . .
    elfcrisis wrote: »
    @baronvonsatan ... I haven't tried killing the crashfish with a knife. This is going on my bucket list.

@Jarin Fun fact about swimming towards the danger: If you encounter a shark in the wild, especially a great white, swim towards it. They're actually an ambush predator of sorts, in that they'll only attack you from behind. So if you're like, "I see you, dude, don't try it." they'll turn away. I saw this in a documentary and it was hilarious. You could imagine the shark being embarrassed like, "What? I wasn't doing anything! I swear!"

Many predators are actually extremely cautious, they want to avoid getting hurt by their prey.

OH! I forgot to mention how I discovered this. There was a bug-- I haven't encountered it since-- in which a Crashfish wouldn't explode, and then you'd have an annoying swim buddy. That's when I started going all preemptive on their butts.
  • syrnuxsyrnux Join Date: 2017-10-13 Member: 233540Members
    There is a plethora of it in certain biomes just take a gravsphere with you and hit up one of the places and you'll have a sub full of quartz you won't know what to do with. i remember one was in a blood vine area that was mostly exclusive uranium and quartz and also in the red seaweed areas where the quartz often hides in the floor growth.

I searched for this on Snopes, and they confirmed this one is absolutely FALSE. :)

The crashfish thing sounds like a case of swimming towards the danger. Like maybe you can, or could at one point, get close enough to knife it before it "armed" so to speak.