Noob in Need

Quiet_BlowfishQuiet_Blowfish Join Date: 2017-09-11 Member: 232955Members
Please someone cleverer than me explain how to post pics on the forum.

Comments

• RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    This button right here :)

7pqs82z7mzb0.jpg
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    Make sure it's not a .png

It will only work if it's a jpeg.

Usually, you can just click and drag pictures into the textbox, and they should upload alright, unless something in it messes the forum up.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    Skope wrote: »
    Make sure it's not a .png

It will only work if it's a jpeg.

Usually, you can just click and drag pictures into the textbox, and they should upload alright, unless something in it messes the forum up.

Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that....
    6lev4k4vpbfr.jpg

Woo it works! Though I think I prefer the precision of doing it manually with the Upload Image button XD
    Dragging it into the text field put it in the middle of my text even though I swore I had it in a spot without any, woops
  • Quiet_BlowfishQuiet_Blowfish Join Date: 2017-09-11 Member: 232955Members
    OK. Thanks heaps folks.

I noticed however that the second image loaded OK despite being a png, so I'm thinking they've updated it.

Cheers then!

kawttvvu67qx.jpg
    1jcns5l25s90.png
    Ok, another stoopid question:

How do I embed a link to another forum thread? Cutting and pasting a forum's title doesn't seem to transfer its html address.
    (life was so much simpler in the Middle Ages)

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited September 2017
    Ok, another stoopid question:

How do I embed a link to another forum thread? Cutting and pasting a forum's title doesn't seem to transfer its html address.
    (life was so much simpler in the Middle Ages)

[url=https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/152900/please-test-new-steam-experimental-performance-option]Devs want help testing a new experimental performance patch[/url]

Gives you:
    Devs want help testing a new experimental performance patch

Also, have a read through here:

http://nookkin.com/misc/bbcode.ndoc

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBCode
    edited September 2017
    Thanks again @0x6A7232 for your help. I'm still being hampered with brain deficit though.

I read those reference sites (give a man a fishing rod), but they don't seem to have quite what I'm after.

But through experimentation I've had partial success. For example, I've got this far making a link for the 'Cuddle Fish Optimization' thread:

https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/152803/cuddle-fish-optimization#latest

I realised I could find the target thread's html address by:
    1) Going the next level up from the target thread (to the 'Subnautica General Discussion' thread list)
    2) rmb highlighting the title of the thread
    3) rmb menu then selecting 'properties'
    4) Highlighting and copying the url
    5) Returning here and pasting it in
    6) Before losing interest to complete the task by using end-brackets to neaten it up like yours: Cuddle Fish Optimization

Hmm... my way not so user-friendly way. Surely there's an easier route to follow?

BTW it's always puzzled me - what's the meaning of your name tag here. If is some kind of coder's inside joke?

@Quiet_Blowfish - what browser are you using? If I want to do that, I:
    1) Go up to the top of the page, right-click the "Forums" button, and click "Open link in new tab (or window", if you prefer)
    2) Now I've got another browser tab running the main forums page, so I find the thread I want, and right-click - "copy link address"
    3) Go back to the original tab and paste it into my reply, formatting if I feel like it.
    4) Close the new tab / window (unless I feel I might be using it again shortly)

As you noticed, simply pasting a URL will cause the forum to make it clickable automatically on detection.

As for my username, put it into a hex-to-text converter (like this one).
    NOTE: the "0x" at the front of a hex address simply means "hex address follows" -- some hex to text converters are smart enough to strip it out, and some aren't. So if the result doesn't make sense, remove the "0x" from the front and try that.

Why all the fuss over a simple username?
    I got tired of it being in use already. Also, it doesn't stand for junior.
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    edited September 2017
    By the way 6A7232 is this incredibly ugly brown:
    qovgoa0qhypv.png
    Personally, I'm a fan of 7F00FF myself:
    1dwnybvb443d.png
    edited September 2017
    Thanks @0x6A7232 ,

Seems to use "Copy shortcut" on mine. I'm using Explorer on Win8.1. Makes the process a little easier, but I thought maybe there'd be a one-click forum feature built in for the bone lazy and idle. Anyway, thanks for your help. Maybe one day I'll write up a Forum Noob Guide, if it looks like there's enough people dumb enough to read it.
    ----

I really can't agree with @kingkuma. To me it looks like an incredibly ugly yellow.

• JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    kingkuma wrote: »
    qovgoa0qhypv.png
    1dwnybvb443d.png

I like them both.
    Jacke wrote: »
    kingkuma wrote: »
    qovgoa0qhypv.png
    1dwnybvb443d.png

I like them both.

I'm personally a fan of 090499
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    I like blue.
    Wait, that's not what we're doing?