The Essential Q&A for Subnautica Beginners!

AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
So I got bored at school and decided: Hey, why not tell new Subnautica players how to Play?

UPDATES WILL HAPPEN INSTEAD OF NEW COMMENTS. WATCH THE THREAD FOR UPDATES.

So here you go! Some answers to commonly asked Questions. [WARNING: POSSIBLE SPOILERS]

Technical Questions:

Q: Why is my FPS so bad?
A: Try turning the Water Quality, Quality and/or Resolution down. They tend to cause more lag. If this doesn't help, then you may need a new CPU, GPU or Graphics card.

Q: My game has Visual and/or Audio bugs, how do I fix this?
A: Attempt to Validate all files. You do this by right clicking on the game in the Steam menu, then go to Properties. Click "Validate Files."

Q: How do I switch to Experimental?
A: Do the same thing you did for the last question, go to properties, but intead of going to "Validate Files" go to the Last tab, "Beta Programs." Set the current one to experimental.

Gameplay Questions:

Q: How do I get started?
A: Start by climbing up-top to gaze at the Aurora. Then go into the water and collect Titanium, Copper and Acid mushrooms. Make a Scanner, and you can go on from there.

Q: Where do I get more Titanium? I already mined all the limestone in the area!
A: Try scrap metal. It's all over the Kelp Forest Biome, and gets you four Titanium per scrap metal.

Spoiler Questions: (Will be hidden)
Q: Where do I find the first Alien Structure?
A: On the Mountain Island, which is to the side of the Aurora.

Q: Where do I find the first Degasi Base?
A: On the floating island, behind the Aurora and above the Grand Reef.

Q: Where do I find the second Degasi Base?
A: In the Mushroom Biome, located under the Grassy Plateaus (aka Blood Grass Biome).

Q: Where do I find the third Degasi Base?
A: Under the Grand Reef, In a cave area called the Deep Grand Reef.

Q: Where are all these places your saying?! I need a map!
A: Refer to the Bottom Spoiler.

Q: Where are the Alien Artifacts that I can easily get?
A: There are two located on the Mountain Island, and one in the First Degasi Base.

Q: Where is the second Alien Structure?
A: Located in the Lost River, which is able to be entered through the Deep Grand Reef or a few other entrances.

Q: Where is the third Alien Structure?
A: Located in the Inactive Lava Zone, in a Giant Volcano.

Q: Where is the final Alien Structure?
A: In the Active Lava Zone. There's a secret here. Wink wink.

Q: Where do I find all the alien caches?
A: subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Precursor_Cache

Q: Where can I get cured?
A: The last Alien Structure, the Aquarium.

Currently Almost Up-To-Date Map Of Subnautica:
yor7djdf5hjb.png

Comments

• RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    Nice list :)
    Maybe you should have a note for accessing the debug console if needed. Like for toggling Invisible when entering the Crash Zone or Dunes because the reapers are scary for getting out of trouble if glitches happen.

On an unrelated note, I think it's funny that there's still two patches of Inactive Lava Zone on the most recent map heh, one in the Dunes where the sinkhole used to be, and one in the Mushroom Forest of all places? That latter one's been there for ages I think...

• AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    Rezca wrote: »
    Nice list :)
    Maybe you should have a note for accessing the debug console if needed. Like for toggling Invisible when entering the Crash Zone or Dunes because the reapers are scary for getting out of trouble if glitches happen.

On an unrelated note, I think it's funny that there's still two patches of Inactive Lava Zone on the most recent map heh, one in the Dunes where the sinkhole used to be, and one in the Mushroom Forest of all places? That latter one's been there for ages I think...

Will add when I get home to add more stuffs.
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    edited September 2017
    Just bumped the Q & A thread from @0x6A7232.
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    That map begs a question though...

Where the heck does that new "Mesas" biome go?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Skope wrote: »

Jar-Jar-Binks-icon.png
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »

Jar-Jar-Binks-icon.png

MEESA WANNA KNOW WHERE MESA IS
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members

I think it's more of a sub-biome within the Crash Zone proper, so it doesn't have its own color on the biome map. I could be wrong though.