Revised starting equipment/blueprints

SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
Something that's always bugged me is how much tech the fabricator already knows based on local flora / fauna. For example, you know right off the bat how to make a battery from local acid mushrooms. I think it would make much more sense to start the player with a scanner tool in the lifepod, and make them scan things to find out how they might be used. The blueprints like batteries in the fabricator would be grayed out with "ingredients unknown" or maybe "copper + source of acid" type messages to hint at what you might be looking for.

Granted for us experienced players this would be trivially overcome - we'd go right to a mushroom, scan the thing, then pick 10 of them to go make batteries with, but I think it would help enhance the discovery factor for newer players, and just make more sense than the fabricator already knowing which lifeforms are useful for what.

Comments

• SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    edited September 2017
    Sidchicken wrote: »
    For example, you know right off the bat how to make a battery from local acid mushrooms.

The lifepod does a scan of your environment and gives you recipes accordingly. It probably would have scanned the acid mushrooms, decided that they could be used to create batteries, and put that recipe in the fabricator.

Or something. I don't think that it's too unthinkable.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    For example, you know right off the bat how to make a battery from local acid mushrooms.

The lifepod does a scan of your environment and gives you recipes accordingly. It probably would have scanned the acid mushrooms, decided that they could be used to create batteries, and put that recipe in the fabricator.

You could increase the immersion factor by having the PDA perform an initial scan of the environment (expand upon the "zero human life signs detected in 100m radius" blurb) -- the lifepod would normally do before even allowing you to pop the hatch, but, eh, yours got a little jostled on descent, so the PDA does it as soon as you exit. Or something.
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »

You could increase the immersion factor by having the PDA perform an initial scan of the environment (expand upon the "zero human life signs detected in 100m radius" blurb) -- the lifepod would normally do before even allowing you to pop the hatch, but, eh, yours got a little jostled on descent, so the PDA does it as soon as you exit. Or something.

It now does, when you fix the pod the PDA will say some Dialogue then give you an entry on the Planet under "Planet Geology" in the Data Entries section.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »

It now does, when you fix the pod the PDA will say some Dialogue then give you an entry on the Planet under "Planet Geology" in the Data Entries section.

That's cool... it could be a bit more explicit about it though. Like saying "Scanning local environment" or somesuch and giving you the new data entry popup at the same time, so you know to look. We're coming down to the spit n' polish part of development after all.