Controller Mapping

ReiSixx9ReiSixx9 Australia Join Date: 2017-09-15 Member: 233047Members
Whenever I try to map the controls for my PS3 controller through the Subnautica options I can only change a few of the buttons and it also sometimes just freezes up until I map a new button but then I can't switch to a different button to map, I'm just stuck mapping that one action.

Comments

• ReiSixx9ReiSixx9 Australia Join Date: 2017-09-15 Member: 233047Members
    Bump? Is this just me?
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Hit the gear at the top-right of your first post, hit edit, and change the title to something like "Subnautica freezing when mapping PS3 controller buttons" or somesuch. Also, perhaps an output_log.txt and dxdiag output would be helpful. There should be a sticky in this board showing where to find / generate those.
  • JoE_SmashJoE_Smash Join Date: 2017-09-06 Member: 232825Members
    I use a PS4 controller through Steam and when I TRY to map my gamepad buttons the game does not recognize the correct key presses making it impossible to remap any of the buttons...
  • TheSleepySnorlaxTheSleepySnorlax Join Date: 2017-10-01 Member: 233346Members
    A similar thing happened to me when using a PS4 controller, but instead it spun in circles looking upward. The sticks didn't work minus movement.
  • tyto1albatyto1alba United States Join Date: 2018-01-10 Member: 234938Members
    I have this problem as well. I'm using a PS4 controller into a mac mini. The icons on the controller mapping menu don't match the actual controller buttons. For instance, If I map the X button it will show on the menu as the circle button. Also when mapping, subnautica frequently freezes. I spent about 15 minutes trying to map the controller and was only able to change about 5 settngs because everything kept freezing. Very frustating!
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    My PS3 controller just wasn't working, so I used a program to map it as an Xbox controller. It worked, but was confusing mapping the buttons as it used all the Xbox icons.
  • tyto1albatyto1alba United States Join Date: 2018-01-10 Member: 234938Members
    I looked into this some more. I found the freezing was related to certain buttons that don't input into subnautica. For instance, the up arrow button is not programmable for anything in the controller menu. Actually, many of the arrow buttons on the ps4 controller don't function. Most of the other buttons work, but the corresponding icon is incorrect.
  • mimo91mimo91 Join Date: 2018-01-26 Member: 235849Members
    I'm using a PS4 controller on Mac and while it works just fine with Steam, the game seems to mix up the buttons even when the PS4 controller mapping is selected.
  • excellentsamuraidexcellentsamuraid Join Date: 2018-01-26 Member: 235859Members
    I'd suggest getting the PowerA XBox 360 controller. Never had a freeze up in mapping since I've had it. PS3 controllers seem to freeze up mapping for me too.
  • QuietTigerQuietTiger Join Date: 2018-01-27 Member: 235900Members
    edited January 2018
    When I remap the left mouse button I lose the ability to select items in pop-up menus. For example, if I remap the right mouse button to Move Forward and the Left Mouse button to Right Hand, when I bring up the Habitat builder selection, I can't select any build options. Clicking the left mouse button just exits the selection pop-up. The program should override the mouse mapping for the left button when a selection pop-up is on screen. This has always worked until the release build. And yes that is me in my avatar. I was a commercial diver 1988 to 1991.