Eclipse map portal, inspired by which movie?

snacksy13snacksy13 Norway Join Date: 2017-03-10 Member: 228823Members Posts: 11 Fully active user
I heard someone saying that the weird portal in the eclipse map (bottom left) is from some movie. Does anyone know the name of it.

Comments

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver Posts: 3,302 Advanced user
    Yes.
    formerly known as F0rdPrefect

Check out my new Balance Mod
    BeigeAlert.trixX.
  • snacksy13snacksy13 Norway Join Date: 2017-03-10 Member: 228823Members Posts: 11 Fully active user
    Vetinari wrote: »
    Yes.

do you happen to know the name of it?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands, Hoogezand Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue Posts: 14,940 Advanced user
    edited September 16
    snacksy13 wrote: »
    Yes.

The original was made by @KungFuSquirrel and the eclipse hive did not have a "portal"

So for that question you'd have to ask the NS2 map team, who made ns2_eclipse:

@Jonacrab, @Squeal_Like_A_Pig, @dux, @Olmy, @Insane and @SgtBarlow

Guardian of the "magic cookiejar" AdminModerator

Existence Unknown

Retired forum Admin, I mostly used a flamethrower tank for disputes... Mostly
    Retired EUPT Deputy | Moral Support | Squad 5 Blue
    102 1HP Skulk escapes and counting | Play the Latest Version of Booster Z-Frame
    YouTube NS2 Playlists: Unusual Selection | NS2 Stuff | NS2PT | NS2 Tuts

• The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter Posts: 616 Advanced user
    edited September 16
    @Kouji_San

Holy crap, did you really register in 2003. That is pretty awesome.
    Kouji_San
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands, Hoogezand Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue Posts: 14,940 Advanced user
    Hi o/

Existence Unknown

• SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow Posts: 1,527 Advanced user
    Event Horizon, probably
    To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to play Natural Selection 2. The gameplay is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of military strategy and advanced mathematics you won't even win a single game. Theres also the game's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into the game. The maps and artwork draw heavily from Riddley Scott's Alien franchise, for instance. The players understand this stuff, they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depth of the game, to realise that it's not just great, that it also says something about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Natural Selection 2 truly ARE idiots. of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in the Marines' existential catchphrase "how do I get to be so good", which itself is a cryptic reference to the high degree of intelligence required to play the game as intended. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion when spectating a game. What fools... how I pity them. And, yes, by the way, i DO have a Fade tatoo. And no, you cannot see it. it's for the ladies' eyes only, and even then they have to demonstrate that they are within 50 hive skill points of my own (preferable lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid.
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow Posts: 3,400 mod
    @Kouji_San

Some of us have been around for quite a while :)
    -/AUS/- PS_Mouse
    The_Welsh_WizardHandschuhKouji_SanCaptainFearless
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver Posts: 1,591 Advanced user
    Mouse wrote: »
    @Kouji_San

Yes, we are old :neutral:

The_Welsh_WizardKouji_SanCaptainFearless
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver Posts: 3,302 Advanced user
    snacksy13 wrote: »
    Yes.

Nope, sorry. But I'm sure there is someone out there who knows.

I'm being helpful

• HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members Posts: 220 Advanced user
    I already feel old...
    edited September 17

Existence Unknown

• SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow Posts: 1,527 Advanced user
    History of the World part 2
    To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to play Natural Selection 2. The gameplay is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of military strategy and advanced mathematics you won't even win a single game. Theres also the game's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into the game. The maps and artwork draw heavily from Riddley Scott's Alien franchise, for instance. The players understand this stuff, they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depth of the game, to realise that it's not just great, that it also says something about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Natural Selection 2 truly ARE idiots. of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in the Marines' existential catchphrase "how do I get to be so good", which itself is a cryptic reference to the high degree of intelligence required to play the game as intended. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion when spectating a game. What fools... how I pity them. And, yes, by the way, i DO have a Fade tatoo. And no, you cannot see it. it's for the ladies' eyes only, and even then they have to demonstrate that they are within 50 hive skill points of my own (preferable lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid.
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer Posts: 3,908 admin
    I'm not aware of the portals in Eclipse being based on any movie. I took a look through the old concepts and notes and I couldn't find a single reference to a movie. As far as I know, it's an original design.
    BeigeAlert
    Insane wrote: »
    I'm not aware of the portals in Eclipse being based on any movie. I took a look through the old concepts and notes and I couldn't find a single reference to a movie. As far as I know, it's an original design.

But if it were, someone would know the name of the movie

Gladiator
    Kouji_SanBeigeAlert
  • CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members Posts: 337 Advanced user
    Omg some of you guys have been on this forum longer than i've been alive, and im in high school
    Beanboy Delivery
    You may also know me as Tipoff Giggots
    Omg some of you guys have been on this forum longer than i've been alive, and im in high school

Guys, we found one that's younger than me!

Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2
    BeigeAlert
  • HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members Posts: 220 Advanced user
    Is there a timeline of all ns1 Versions and dates?
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow Posts: 3,400 mod
    edited September 20
    I don't think there's one for all of the versions. You'd probably need to do your own research for that.
    But these are the main dates that I know:
    • Natural Selection 1 - October 31st, 2002
    • Natural Selection 2 - October 31st, 2012
    • Natural Selection 3 - October 31st, 2022 ?
    -/AUS/- PS_Mouse
    VetinariNordicBeigeAlert.trixX.
    I don't think there's one for all of the versions. You'd probably need to do your own research for that.
    But these are the main dates that I know:
    • Natural Selection 1 - October 31st, 2002
    • Natural Selection 2 - October 31st, 2012
    • Natural Selection 3 - October 31st, 2022 ?

Only five more years? Awesome!

• 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter Posts: 1,022 Advanced user
    Fall 2019...
    BeigeAlert
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members Posts: 623 Advanced user
    pSyk0mAn wrote: »
    @Kouji_San

Lies.
    We only got more classy.
    NO Cyril, when they're dead they're just hookers!
    Kouji_San
    .trixX. wrote: »
    pSyk0mAn wrote: »
    @Kouji_San

Lies.
    We only got more classy.
    85cee4b278e9c612d58d5c27e97ff661989cfed5b8828951c00a894601f4379a.jpg

Existence Unknown

• NousWandererNousWanderer Join Date: 2010-05-07 Member: 71646Members Posts: 171 Advanced user
    Sorry that nobody has given you a serious answer yet. IIRC the eclipse map portal was inspired by The Emoji Movie.
    VetinariSquishpokePOOPFACE
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue Posts: 4,264 Advanced user
    edited September 23
    Handschuh wrote: »
    Is there a timeline of all ns1 Versions and dates?

@Handschuh - I can't believe @Kouji_San missed this opportunity....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS8iBloBpRo
    Games:Subnautica Fan Game Mods: GorgeCraft & CTF & Proving Grounds Website: andysoulrider.uk
    Twitter: @AndySoulRider Twitch: Twitch.tv/SoulRider YouTube: Youtube.com/user/IamSoulRider/videos

Capitalisation is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
    Knowledge is gained through listening, Understanding is gained through discussion.
    Kouji_San
  • jrgnjrgn Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58289Members Posts: 111 Advanced user
    It resembles the doom3? tech mostly and is probably a prototype for the phase tech used by marines against those evil bacteria, refered to as aliens. Don't get me started about cloning...
    So a portal into hell :D

Also who're you calling evil bub!

Existence Unknown

No way, man. "Evil bacteria" is from the DOOM movie, which is strictly non-canonical. "Aliens" is from the book.

In the canonical series (and the loose canon DOOM 3), the "aliens" are DEMONS, from HELL. And you, the doomguy, must RIP and TEAR, until it is done.