Replacement for hardened blade

jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
edited September 2017 in Ideas and Suggestions
So if you haven't heard the hardenblade was removed in exp.
REST IN PEACE
you can no longer get it without console. I made a thread about trying to save it but that died. Though some of the ideas people brought up was nice. So it would be cool to see a knife that is meant to farm plants. Since the thermal is meant for fauna it would be nice to have one for flora that can be used to get more resources from farming them with the knife.

Comments

• TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    I'm still of the opinion that they should have a "sonic blade" where moving the knife in the water causes resonations, it would be a mild effect when moving but stronger when swinging the knife. The effect would cause predators to flee for a short period due to the pain from the sonic waves, but if used too often they would attack aggressively due to blind rage.

This way you could have a defensive weapon that could offer short bursts of safety, but it couldn't be abused or used as a crutch. Regardless, it's kind of silly to have only one upgrade for an item - the Swim Fins and O2 tanks have two options each, so give us variety on the Knife again!
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited September 2017
    Without reading up on it, I assume it was removed because they're going for the "we don't want a direct upgrade for X"

Basically adopting that from Natural Selection 2, where they want every marine weapon to be viable up to end game. The Hardened knife would be an direct upgrade to the knife. But then again, we do still have the fireblade 39.gif

@Tarkannen, that is actually a pretty neat idea!
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    It's cause the knife no longer has durability, rendering the hardened blade somewhat moot, as the heat blade exists.
  • ZeddIsDeadZeddIsDead Australia Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216029Members
    edited September 2017
    I like the idea of a Sonic Blade. There aren't many handheld options for scaring creatures off other than Knife and Propulsion Cannon + Gaspods (or Propulsion + anything really). Repulsion Cannon only gets 5 shots before needing recharge :/

What I also think would be nice is Heat Knife + 2 Titanium = Heat Spear. It would make sense, since all you're asking your fabricator to make is a titanium pole and then welding the knife on the end yourself, so it could bypass the hard-coded weapons ban :D It would be nice to have a bit more reach when defending oneself. Also it wouldn't really be OP since it would take up at least a 4x1 space in inventory.