Survival at depth. Without things or only in equipment?

DmitrDmitr Russia Join Date: 2017-08-31 Member: 232755Members
edited September 2017 in Ideas and Suggestions
Hello to all the players and developers of this wonderful game.

I think it's strange that a player can survive at any depth. Submarines crush at depth, but the diver is too sturdy.

I found how to fix it without too much change in the game. Just add a few new dive suits.

0-100 meters depth - the player can survive without any things (like now).
100-200 meters - the player needs a durable diver suit (you need a recipe for crafting)
200-300 meters - the player needs an advanced reinforced diver suit (you need a recipe for crafting)
300-500 meters - the player needs a protective energy Force field (need a recipe for crafting, perhaps from aliens)
500-5000 meters - the player needs the advanced protective energy Force field (you need a recipe for crafting, perhaps from aliens)

Comments

• Sam_StarfallSam_Starfall Join Date: 2017-05-21 Member: 230665Members
    This is actually truth in TV (see above), but It's still a little jarring at how easily it is in game (because for gameplay reason they couldn't keep the looooooooong decompression which is the only requirement)
    I wouldn't make a gameplay around this myself, frankly, if you could just have a phase before getting any of the special dive suit where you'd suffer, maybe that could serve as a early-gate. But since you get a suit relatively fast, I don't think it would have any impact (unless you happen to forget it once)

So whatever you propose, it would have to be more like "Altera remind you that genetic treatment and dive-suit make you capable of surviving any reasonable depth"
  • DmitrDmitr Russia Join Date: 2017-08-31 Member: 232755Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »

I did not create this discussion to discuss real life.
    I know what depth records exist. And I know what gases need to breathe for these records. And I know how many weeks (!) you need for one ascent.

I'm discussing the game in this.
    This is actually truth in TV (see above), but It's still a little jarring at how easily it is in game (because for gameplay reason they couldn't keep the looooooooong decompression which is the only requirement)
    I wouldn't make a gameplay around this myself, frankly, if you could just have a phase before getting any of the special dive suit where you'd suffer, maybe that could serve as a early-gate. But since you get a suit relatively fast, I don't think it would have any impact (unless you happen to forget it once)

So whatever you propose, it would have to be more like "Altera remind you that genetic treatment and dive-suit make you capable of surviving any reasonable depth"
    Yes. This equipment must be extracted easily. It should not limit your opportunities in the game.

This is necessary to at least partially bring the game closer to realism.

Diving for any depth is fantastic. This is not necessary fantastic in the game.
    And it's easy to get around by inventing an explanation.
    I did not create this discussion to discuss real life.
    This is necessary to at least partially bring the game closer to realism.
    I'm sure it sounded very logical in your mind but we can't bring a game closer to reality without discussing what it should be in real life (defining the problem you know) so you sound... a bit bad here.
    Inventing an explanation that satisfy our disbelief but with a fictional gameplay disconnected from reality would only bring trouble from other people.

For example the game deal very casually with entering/exiting zone of very different pressure (we can literally get inside a base through a windows), but adding pressure mechanic would be extremely complex or ceremonious at best (like having a room called airlock which don't actually work but is needed)
    Anything that take a lot of time or click-fest without bringing anything will be right out.
    As said you can't have something that nullify other gating mechanic
    And if it is completely superfluous, why bother with anything long to make?

So it have to at least be "immersive".

Myself I don't see much we can do except purely ceremonious details. Else you'll have to make different tier of suit or start without a dive suit.
    Maybe a vision effect when you go toward pressure and another when you leave it. But unless it's permanent (and give you an idea of how deep you are) players will just get used to it. Maybe a sound effect when exiting, entering pressure zone which depend on local pressure.
    It would be similar in role to the classic sound of submarine arching metal.

Frankly, other things should take precedence.
  • adel_50adel_50 Join Date: 2016-09-01 Member: 221973Members
    I guess the only thing you'll need is the reinforced dive suit.
    I mean why so many suits, and energy force fields? Uh what? To be honest what should be changed is just either make reinforced dive suit upgrades or add a bar for how long you can stay out until your dead by the extreme pressure (not sure if it's good idea but ideas won't come to life just by posting them right?)
  • ZeddIsDeadZeddIsDead Australia Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216029Members
    I think the Reinforced Dive Suit should be able to go very deep. Forcefields use a lot of power, so I'm not so keen on having to use it constantly. The reinforced suit should be able to go to at least 900m, leaving just one area out of reach.

Other than that I really like your suggestion!
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    Just to be clear (again), despite the wording of the vote option, my own approval for "another solution" isn't based on the idea that human cannot withstand the pressure, I also read the explanation up there (and knew someone who was a diver instructor), myself I'm just looking for solution to make it look more serious, more immersive.
    Player will eventually learn that pressure is only a problem of decompression time, but the revolving-door fast entry into a 1500m seabase will stay.
    (as I said previously, the solution don't have to be a 'airlock mechanic', only ceremonious/visual would help)
  • Quiet_BlowfishQuiet_Blowfish Join Date: 2017-09-11 Member: 232955Members
    I'm with Sam on that