Base building changes?

GarthGarth CA Join Date: 2016-07-15 Member: 220263Members
I'm sure this has been touched on before... but am I the only one that thinks base building blueprint order is a bit out of whack?

The way it is now you build the habitat builder and can only make dumpy little tube bases until you stumble upon the floating island and get the multipurpose room. It used to be that we started out with the multipurpose room right away with the habitat builder. Now you have to get it from the floating island. This change just feels silly to me.

Forcing us to wait to make a large spacious room doesn't make the game any harder. A base made entirely of tubes is equally functional to one using the multipurpose room. Its just less aesthetically pleasing. To the new player, it just makes base building less fun since you're restricted to hamster tube tunnels for your base until you eventually stumble upon the Delgasi base on the island. To everyone else we just swim on the surface right at the get go to the island and scan the multipurpose room.

Restricting the multipurpose from being available by default doesn't add anything to the game. It just adds a slight amount of tedium for old hands and turns off new players from the fun of making a neat home base to suit their tastes.

My suggestion is to bring back the multipurpose room by default with the habitat builder. If base building is something we shouldn't be doing right away (I don't know why this would need to be a thing) then maybe make the habitat builder blueprint in a further out location such as the Red Fields lifepod.

Comments

• ElCubanatorElCubanator Miami Join Date: 2016-07-17 Member: 220351Members
    Personally, I would love if we could build larger rooms (like the Moon Pool without the pool).
  • SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    I think that the blueprint for multipurpose rooms should be in the wrecks near the safe shallows instead of ALL THE WAY OUT TO THE FLOATING ISLANDS
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    You can always dive down to the JellyShroom caves for the MP room as well. Just need better O2 tank, and a Seamoth (Rebreather helps a lot as well).
  • CronosusCronosus Join Date: 2017-05-29 Member: 230819Members
    about building...
    i think it just need more build options... bigger rooms,corridors, or fully customizable.. i mean just placeable floors,walls,ceiling, pools (example to make big moonpool for cyclop).
  • Quiet_BlowfishQuiet_Blowfish Join Date: 2017-09-11 Member: 232955Members
    Garth wrote: »
    I'm sure this has been touched on before... but am I the only one that thinks base building blueprint order is a bit out of whack?

The way it is now you build the habitat builder and can only make dumpy little tube bases until you stumble upon the floating island and get the multipurpose room. It used to be that we started out with the multipurpose room right away with the habitat builder. Now you have to get it from the floating island. This change just feels silly to me.

Forcing us to wait to make a large spacious room doesn't make the game any harder. A base made entirely of tubes is equally functional to one using the multipurpose room. Its just less aesthetically pleasing. To the new player, it just makes base building less fun since you're restricted to hamster tube tunnels for your base until you eventually stumble upon the Delgasi base on the island. To everyone else we just swim on the surface right at the get go to the island and scan the multipurpose room.

Restricting the multipurpose from being available by default doesn't add anything to the game. It just adds a slight amount of tedium for old hands and turns off new players from the fun of making a neat home base to suit their tastes.

My suggestion is to bring back the multipurpose room by default with the habitat builder. If base building is something we shouldn't be doing right away (I don't know why this would need to be a thing) then maybe make the habitat builder blueprint in a further out location such as the Red Fields lifepod.

G'day. This thread is getting little old, but I think it brings up a very timely issue - with 0.1 completion in now sight and Dev talk about DLC next on the list.

My view is that they've got it right by making the Multi room kinda unbuildable first up. It is a very important game-dynamic for Devs to give you opportunities to work towards items/abilities your character really needs. Without this a player easily gets bored and undervalues the game - no matter how good it looks.

On the other hand, you don't want to leave a player clueless about:
    a) what good goals are possible (e.g. Player's PDA blather about survival advantages building using multipurpose rooms)
    b) how to start doing them (e.g. Abandoned PDA rumours of advanced bases built on a weird floating island out southwest somewhere)

What's seems missing at the moment is some kind of early 'lead' on the Multi room (what it is and how to get one).

However, the game is still work-in-progress with plenty of room for continuing development that DLCs could offer (hopefully free ones). I'd be very surprised if further development doesn't include side-quests etc. that give the player the narrative leads on how find items like these.

Cheers