[BUG] Fragments Not Being Saved And Patterns Not Registering (version 52328)

KurasuKurasu Join Date: 2017-06-24 Member: 231322Members
edited August 2017 in Subnautica Bug Reporting
Issue: Unless you get all fragments at once, 'save' is not saving the fragments for me.

Duplicating issue: Locate (or spawn) fragment. Scan fragment. Check list. Fragment shows as appearing.
Save game and quit.
Restore save.
Check inventory. Notice lack of % on the tech.
The first item I noticed this with was the Mobile Vehicle Station, and tested it with a Nuclear Base (spawned piece) to see whether it, too, would happen.

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the 'bad cache from saves' that people have been mentioning, but needless to say it definitely impacts my ability to finish the game.

Attempting to do a clean reinstall to see whether that fixes the issue for me. It'll be several hours before I know, unfortunately.

EDITED TO ADD: Just to note, this is only between saves, from what I can see (for now). I was able to gather a few items by finding all the shards at once. However, several others, I found one or two pieces of, had to quit, and when I restarted my progress was reset. *Very* frustrating in the case of game-breaking items like the Vehicle Station (kind of hard to progress when you can't craft a Seamoth or Cyclops).

SECOND EDIT: After a clean reinstall, I have discovered another error that I didn't notice before: on scanning a Beacon Fragment, I got 1/2. Saved. Restored. Still 1/2. Scanned a second Beacon Fragment. It did not register I had obtained the recipe, though when I checked my list, I had indeed obtained it. Unsure if this is related to the above issue.

THIRD EDIT: At least at this point in time, it seems that the issue has (for the moment) resolved itself; I have obtained a fragment from the Mobile Base, saved the game, reloaded, and found the piece to still be there. Some other definite glitches/errors have occurred, as pointed out above and in my second thread (in regards to my disappearing knife; something I noticed in my earlier game but didn't think anything of), but at least that part *seems* to be fixed with the reinstall. Will add a reply if I happen to come across it happening again in the future.

Comments

• baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
    Before going to the drastic step of uninstalling and reinstalling the game, please check the forums; this is a known (and very annoying) bug. Also, in Early Access things are gonna get broken from time to time.
  • KurasuKurasu Join Date: 2017-06-24 Member: 231322Members
    I gave the forums a check. The only report of it I had seen was someone mentioning that it had been fixed.

Unfortunately, it had not!

And obviously, it's expected things will get broken. I figured that was part of why we were asked to A) report them and B) report in detail: so they could be explored and/or reproduced just in case.
  • baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
    Right, but I'm not sure they've ever broken things to the extent that a clean reinstall was necessary to fix it.
    Right, but I'm not sure they've ever broken things to the extent that a clean reinstall was necessary to fix it.

Maybe not, but if there's one thing I've learned, doing a clean install is the best way to make sure the issue is in the actual game and not in legacy code between updates.

If I'm having a major, game-breaking bug, making sure whether it's legacy code or whether a fresh install might make a difference is helpful in the long run. Especially when, after doing the clean reinstall, the game behaved differently than before the clean reinstall (I.E. the shards seemed to actually be registering).

I can't guarantee whether that's because of the reinstall or if it's just a sporadic bug, but it's a data point that might be worth bringing up, and it's not like it cost me anything extra to reinstall fresh. I would've had to restart a game eventually anyway because trying to play the game without a Seamoth, Cyclops, *or* PRAWN suit is sort of problematic. ;)
    Kurasu wrote: »
    ... trying to play the game without a Seamoth, Cyclops, *or* PRAWN suit is sort of problematic. ;)

*Barney Stinson voice* Challenge accepted!
    Oh God. The piping you would need just to build a base deep enough.

..... make sure there are videos. :D
    Videos won't be happening while I'm running on an Intel HD530. :p I'm thinking to start I would need to carry at least one spare High-Capacity O2 tank, but I would build little mini-bases all the way down instead of one main base.
    If you can't do videos, totally make a thread for this. I'd love to watch the attempt. :D It would be absolutely epic to pull off.

• Overlord59Overlord59 United Kingdom Join Date: 2017-08-31 Member: 232756Members
    I have also observed this notably with the modification station and vehicle upgrade console. My current playthrough I have found at least 5 fragments of each and it's been reset to zero every time I close the game and load later. Given how much trouble I am having finding these it has really hampered my playthrough.
  • elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    This seems to still be happening (Experimental 52988). If you don't get all the fragments at once, you have to start over. I neglected to get all four Prawn suit fragments from the Aurora at once and now I will probably not be able to get the suit at all unless I start a new game.

Oddly, I found a Modification Station blueprint in a data box in a wreck, but it didn't give me the blueprint. Guess they're still working that one out.
  • TelrosTelros Maine Join Date: 2016-05-11 Member: 216614Members
    I can confirm this is happening for me as well. I was tearing across the landscape to get nuclear reactor fragments and modification station fragments, and they aren't saving. Luckily I found enough mod station ones, but I think I wont have enough nuclear reactor ones since I should have 3/4 by now and only have one I just found. A rather annoying bug that still hasn't been fixed, or became unfixed apparently.
  • EldeberonEldeberon USA Join Date: 2015-09-28 Member: 208204Members
    I have been experiencing the same problem in 52328. Struggling to find laser cutter fragments then have them disappear after a save. This combined with the scanner room failing to erase past fragments that have been found, was starting to make me think I was going insane.
    Experimental Build 52993: This might be fixed.

I started a new game for this build and I was able to scan bits and pieces of the Mobile Vehicle Bay and the Laser Cutter over the course of several minutes. It remembered everything I had scanned previously with no problems. Scanner room and Seamoth, too.

Haven't found any bits of a Modification Station to test with yet, but hopefully that will work too!

Any other experimental players want to test this out?
    I can confirm in Experimental that my Modification Station progress was saved, but my Nuclear Reactor progress wasn't.
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    I found one Mod Station fragment and saved. After loading my save, I was back to zero.
    Dang, still inconsistent. Sounds like they're getting closer to fixing it, though.
  • JoE_SmashJoE_Smash Join Date: 2017-09-06 Member: 232825Members
    I just had this problem with the cutting lazer today (Sept. 6th 2017)
    After doing a Google search this bug has been an issue since at least 2016....
    Is this going to be fixed someday?
  • AlmostpilotAlmostpilot Brazil Join Date: 2017-09-06 Member: 232833Members
    edited September 2017
    The problem remains. All my fragments already scanned from the mobile bay vehicle is reset to zero. This is frustrating.

Please fix asap!
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited September 2017
    Videos won't be happening while I'm running on an Intel HD530. :p I'm thinking to start I would need to carry at least one spare High-Capacity O2 tank, but I would build little mini-bases all the way down instead of one main base.

You could pipe your video to a splitter (or dual output to HDMI + DVI or somesuch) and have something else capture it. Although that seems a bit troublesome. Have you tried FRAPS? Might be able to use that, as IIRC FRAPS doesn't compress on the fly, just dumps uncompressed video for processing later, so should be minimal overhead.
    33movies.png
  • MichaelXMichaelX Join Date: 2017-09-08 Member: 232873Members
    It done to me on my restart of the ghost update. i would scan a part of the mobile vehicle bay and it would forget i scan it
  • Captaingames321Captaingames321 Join Date: 2017-09-10 Member: 232936Members
    That happened to me as well but i just kept playing
  • DagmarDagmar Join Date: 2017-10-27 Member: 233742Members
    It's happening for me now with the Nuclear Reactor fragments and there are very very few of these in my game, possibly not enough to ever complete now. :'(