Assault submarine

SpleftSpleft Join Date: 2017-07-22 Member: 231969Members
Torpedos aren't cutting the chase for good weaponry. There should be a submarine that uses power cells or iron crystals as weapons to kill irratating enemies like bone sharks and ampeels and should be able to take crab squids emp attacks and use it to power the sub. It could be very buff, but very slow.

Comments

• Aviator1945Aviator1945 Appleton, WI Join Date: 2017-01-02 Member: 225904Members
    Yeah, sorry M8. Not happening. :/
  • SubnauticaDragoonSubnauticaDragoon Canada Join Date: 2017-09-17 Member: 233098Members
    It was stated at the beginning of the game that the alterrans got rid of all weaponry with the knife being the only exception.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    edited September 2017
    It was stated at the beginning of the game that the alterrans got rid of all weaponry with the knife being the only exception.

Only from survival fabricator blueprints though. They still use weapons elsewhere (e.g. Natural Selection takes place in the same universe, right?)

But yeah the weapons aside, new submarines aren't gonna happen. There's no real need for them either - even though some of those concept subs were pretty darned cool. Maybe for Subnautica 2, unless post-launch DLC's end up changing something... Which is possible, but unlikely. Still no weapons though!
  • SubnauticaDragoonSubnauticaDragoon Canada Join Date: 2017-09-17 Member: 233098Members
    Should be able to make a shield or a spear, I'm pretty sure the character could figure how to make one...it's a stick with a knife on the end.
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    edited September 2017
    After a tragic incident where a group of people used a survival fabricator to create weapons, then kill of a large portion of Obraxis Prime, we regret to inform you all weapons (Excluding the Survival Knife) have been removed off of Survival Fabricators. We at Alterra care about your safety, but any recipes that include weapon formatting excluding both Governmental and Resourceful weapons, such as those of Governmental Armies and Seamoth/Prawn suits, are outlawed. These blueprints also do not exist and cannot be obtained on Non-Government PDAs.

Alterra sends its regards and wishes you a good flight on the Aurora!
    edited September 2017
    Should be able to make a shield or a spear, I'm pretty sure the character could figure how to make one...it's a stick with a knife on the end.

Yeah if people want spears and stuff, there's many other survival games that do sport those things. Stuff like that isn't gonna make it into Subnautica no matter how logical it may be. Not unless they open up modding support at some point, in which case people can go nuts with the things the developers themselves won't put in.
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    I highly recommend the survival game 7 Days to Die if you want to make weapons to kill the natives. Personally, it is WAY too had for me. But I've watched a ton of YouTube play throughs. Please go check out that survival game if you have your heart set on making weapons to kill the natives.

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    After a tragic incident where a group of people used a survival fabricator to create weapons, then kill of a large portion of Obraxis Prime, we regret to inform you all weapons (Excluding the Survival Knife) have been removed off of Survival Fabricators. We at Alterra care about your safety, but any recipes that include weapon formatting excluding both Governmental and Resourceful weapons, such as those of Governmental Armies and Seamoth/Prawn suits, are outlawed. These blueprints also do not exist and cannot be obtained on Non-Government PDAs.

That's some @scifiwriterguy - level writing there, IMHO - you guys should team up and re-write a bunch of the PDA messages, and @nesrak1 can mod it in. I... can play it. xD (Ok I can proofread too but it would hardly be necessary. ;)
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members

That's...actually really good. Honestly, I'd change the existing PDA message to end with, "For more information, please see the attached databank entry." Then make this said databank entry.
    0x6A7232 wrote: »

That's some @scifiwriterguy - level writing there, IMHO - you guys should team up and re-write a bunch of the PDA messages, and @nesrak1 can mod it in. I... can play it. xD (Ok I can proofread too but it would hardly be necessary. ;)

As long as there's some snarky AI humor here and there like the old "Great job not dying there." message we were greeted with, I'd be totally up for that!
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members

That's...actually really good. Honestly, I'd change the existing PDA message to end with, "For more information, please see the attached databank entry." Then make this said databank entry.

Thank you guys heheh!
    Rezca wrote: »

As long as there's some snarky AI humor here and there like the old "Great job not dying there." message we were greeted with, I'd be totally up for that!

I will find a way to add that. Snarky AI humor for the WIN!
  • nesrak1nesrak1 Places Join Date: 2016-12-04 Member: 224536Members
    Do we know which tts they used for the pda?
  • JoE_SmashJoE_Smash Join Date: 2017-09-06 Member: 232825Members
    Frustration due to poorly designed games causes aggression, not violence in video games itself.

For instance my inability to defend myself in this game makes me frustrated. I have a knife, leviathans can eat you in one or two hits. You can't kill the leviathan, you have to try to avoid them or get away. This causes frustration with the game because you die, and you cannot defend yourself. This in turn causes aggression.

So basically the developers of this game think that violent video games cause violence, but this actually is not the case. Their video game is actually more likely to increase aggression and violence in it's present state due to frustrations over not being able to defend oneself and defeat aggressive creatures.

As per this psychology article:
    https://psychcentral.com/lib/frustration-with-video-games-leads-to-aggressive-behavior/

This Forbes article details a possible correlation between increased video game sales and decreases in crime. After major violent video games are released such a Grand Theft Auto, crime actually decreases. This is most likely because people who commit crimes are inside playing video games instead of outside committing crimes:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/04/19/as-video-game-sales-climb-year-over-year-violent-crime-continues-to-fall/amp/

So in summary I support your assault sub, or any other weapon idea for the game...

• FalsonePlaysFalsonePlays Nauxes Join Date: 2017-05-27 Member: 230791Members
    Oh for the love of...
    Look. Unknown Worlds HAS made a game with weapons called Natural Selection 2. I see very clearly that you want weapons to defend yourself in the game, but I'm sorry! The devs have said that the only "weapon" in the game will be the Survival Knife. MAYBE someone someday will make a mod, but it's just not gonna happen from the devs. As for a battle sub, the devs also said no more subs will be added for 1) Data, & 2) Size. Sorry bucko, it just won't happen, and a battle sub? That's less likely than a new sub in general. Also, @JoE_Smash , your argument about Unknown Worlds "thinking violent video games cause violence" is filled with holes, mainly revolving around the fact that NS2 is a First Person Shooter MMO! Again, I'm sorry the game doesn't meet your standards, I just want arguments like this on the forums to stop. Please. I know I'm not the only one who wants these arguments to stop.
  • Quiet_BlowfishQuiet_Blowfish Join Date: 2017-09-11 Member: 232955Members
    In the interest of realism I can attest that soon after you spear a few fish a white pointer shows up with a few of its own views on natural selection.
  • elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    Maybe we'll get weapons in a sequel. You know, the Aurora survivor returns to the water planet for revenge or something.

*movie announcer voice* THIS time, it's PERSONAL
    Subnautica 2: Subnaut HARDER
    elfcrisis wrote: »
    Maybe we'll get weapons in a sequel. You know, the Aurora survivor returns to the water planet for revenge or something.

*movie announcer voice* THIS time, it's PERSONAL
    Subnautica 2: Subnaut HARDER

No sequels. Please.

Survival games don't need sequels.

Also no weapons. As I said before:

• elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    No sequels. Please.

Survival games don't need sequels.

Oh, I agree, I was just being silly. And maybe I wanted an excuse to say "Subnaut HARDER". Maybe. c.c
    edited September 2017
    Oh for the love of...
    Look. Unknown Worlds HAS made a game with weapons called Natural Selection 2. I see very clearly that you want weapons to defend yourself in the game, but I'm sorry! The devs have said that the only "weapon" in the game will be the Survival Knife. MAYBE someone someday will make a mod, but it's just not gonna happen from the devs. As for a battle sub, the devs also said no more subs will be added for 1) Data, & 2) Size. Sorry bucko, it just won't happen, and a battle sub? That's less likely than a new sub in general. Also, @JoE_Smash , your argument about Unknown Worlds "thinking violent video games cause violence" is filled with holes, mainly revolving around the fact that NS2 is a First Person Shooter MMO! Again, I'm sorry the game doesn't meet your standards, I just want arguments like this on the forums to stop. Please. I know I'm not the only one who wants these arguments to stop.

We have the Stasis Rifle and Propulsion Cannon, both of which can now be gotten quite early in the game, and with creative application can be quite deadly to a number of fauna. Then there's the Creature Decoy (Whose effectiveness I can't vouch for yet since I haven't used it) so you can just avoid some encounters, the effective "When in doubt, ram it with your seamoth" tactic, Gas Torpedos, and the Perimiter Defense System which can even do in leviathans. So we've already got ways of 'defending ourselves' even as it is.

If that's not enough, then there's always games like ARK or - while it's not a survival game perse - Monster Hunter 3 (Or even the newer ones, like MH World which will be on the PC, but MH3's got swimming combat in it so you can fight fish if you want). If Subnautica's not providing the experience you want, then maybe setting it down and finding an alternative would be the best course of action, since the devs aren't going to change their mind on this. (Or hold out for modding tools)

...And if you're really getting that frustrated playing a game, then just play something else for a bit and wind down. It's common sense.
    Oh for the love of...

We have the Stasis Rifle and Propulsion Cannon, both of which can now be gotten quite early in the game, and with creative application can be quite deadly to a number of fauna. Then there's the Creature Decoy (Whose effectiveness I can't vouch for yet since I haven't used it) so you can just avoid some encounters, the effective "When in doubt, ram it with your seamoth" tactic, Gas Torpedos, and the Perimiter Defense System which can even do in leviathans. So we've already got ways of 'defending ourselves' even as it is.

If that's not enough, then there's always games like ARK or - while it's not a survival game perse - Monster Hunter 3 (Or even the newer ones, like MH World which will be on the PC, but MH3's got swimming combat in it so you can fight fish if you want). If Subnautica's not providing the experience you want, then maybe setting it down and finding an alternative would be the best course of action, since the devs aren't going to change their mind on this. (Or hold out for modding tools)

...And if you're really getting that frustrated playing a game, then just play something else for a bit and wind down. It's common sense.

You realize he had the same point as you right?
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    Oh for the love of...

You realize he had the same point as you right?

I think so, seems like he was just adding on to it.
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members

I loved this snippet from Rezca's reply.

Feels like some people try to empower their point of view with scientific studies without actually trying to understand what the study was about. And the answer is that simple. What makes people frustrated is subjective and not everyone reacts the same way. It also applies to what brings you joy.