Update 317 Live on Steam! - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited August 2017 in NS2 General Discussion

imageUpdate 317 Live on Steam! - Natural Selection 2

Skulks, Specs and Whips OH MY! Update 317 is now available to the public and there is plenty to sink your teeth into. First off, we’ve added a new training...

Read the full story here

Comments

• WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
  • RustyRusty Canada Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185850Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver
    First!

:p. Thanks for the updates. Look forward to getting feedback from our playerbase.
  • kl0wnkl0wn Join Date: 2005-03-09 Member: 44547Members
    can fades have a clown costume with a big red nose please
  • axamdeepaxamdeep Shanghai, China Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72226Members, Squad Five Blue
  • boohooforyouboohooforyou japan Join Date: 2015-12-26 Member: 210357Members
    kl0wn wrote: »
    can fades have a clown costume with a big red nose please

i can probably do that as a mod.. maybe. but i think it would only be fair to have clown skins for gorges and elephant clown onoses too..hmm, maybe i might just..
  • boohooforyouboohooforyou japan Join Date: 2015-12-26 Member: 210357Members
    edited August 2017
    Rusty wrote: »
    First!

second lol
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    Skulk challenge is super awesome, great job!
    The design of the whole mod, the kharaa style speedometer, the little map gimmicks, just genius!
    ..and Mephilles approves of the crashed train o:)
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Make sure to turn up your music volume for skulk challenge, too! We've got some great music from the NS2 OST that, unless you're a deluxe edition user, you might have never heard before. :)
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    edited August 2017
    It'll be interesting to see if this makes much of a difference to rookie behavior. I've long thought a walljumping thing similar to what you've implemented would be invaluable. Definitely would be awesome to see more rookies jumping around rather than attached to the floor.

I just went back into it and there seems to be a lack of "tutorial" element to it. Walljumping needs to be learned in an environment like this, but it just drops you right the time-trial it and expects you to know what to do. Does it give instructions on the first-time and then not on subsequent runs maybe? (I don't remember so maybe it did)

It might be worth it to make text/graphic instruction sheet on the loading page, and maybe even make it so you have to press a key to exit out of it rather than automatically closing, to give people time to read it. I understand that you've made it possible to watch other people's replays but they may not be able to tell what they're doing to get those speeds (especially in terms of keyboard stuff - jump-queuing or holding control to prevent wall stickage)

btw lol at the gorge stuck in the clogs
  • ThomasNSThomasNS Join Date: 2011-02-19 Member: 82484Members, Reinforced - Silver
  • BlrgBlrg Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187580Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow
    The Skulk Challenge is super fun!!

and Spring is supersonic!! :D

not sure how many badges there are, but I suggest you to give a special one to the top 10 players. And once you drop down of the Top10 you lose the special badge

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited August 2017
    Skulk challenge is awesome, however...
    g0dp1yq1kimx.png

Literally unplayable.

edit: Resolution is 1440p.

edit2: I also keep getting redplugs right as the race starts :(
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @Vetinari
    Thanks for the report, we're looking into that resolution issue now.

As for the redplugging, what are your system specs? And does this happen only with ghosts or by yourself or both?
    Essentially if you're redplugging it's because the local server you're hosting to play the race can't keep up for some reason.
    Ensure you're playing in DX9 Fullscreen only and limit any background programs.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    IronHorse wrote: »
    As for the redplugging, what are your system specs? And does this happen only with ghosts or by yourself or both?
    i5-4690k, AMD R9 290x, Win7 64bit

Happens with ghosts, too. It doesn't happen every time, though. And I only really noticed it when I tried to gain speed immediately before starting. Seemed to be more frequent when I start out in one of the corners closest to the door. No idea if there's a relation, though.
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Essentially if you're redplugging it's because the local server you're hosting to play the race can't keep up for some reason.
    Ensure you're playing in DX9 Fullscreen only and limit any background programs.

Will try next time.
  • FoxyFoxy United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Great patch, well done to all involved.
  • HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    edited August 2017
    Sounds nice, but could you start fixing the flickering server browser?

If I sort for example by players and there are 3 servers with 20/20 then these 3 constantly change their position and I cannot click the one I meant to... while the browser is loading new servers it randomly changest the order.. other example when I order by password protection, they'll never sit still like i see in literally every serverbrowser I have seen -_-

############

About Skulk Challenge:

It would help if you would get the FOV / Show Viewmodel Settings from ns2+ for example, because it just confuses your learning aspect... And I get redplugs/rubberbanding as well

NS2 Crashes after Hivechallenge when I try to join a normal server...
  • NominousNominous Baltimore, MD Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146518Members
    edited August 2017
    Excellent work on the skulk challenge mode. It's ingenious the way you guys blended competitiveness, in-game rewards, and assisting skill improvement all into one training mode. It's like a game play guide without explicitly being a guide, and it's for all skill levels. I think teaching players interactively about game mechanics is much more effective than hoping they follow published text/video guides.

Also, possibly a bug report. I managed to get the same exact time as my previous best, resulting in a screen overlay saying "New Personal Best" or similar. I guess this is justified if my average speed is higher than my previous run, but the same timing confused me. In code, maybe the time is actually measured in milliseconds rather than the displayed centiseconds? I wasn't quick enough to capture the New Best message, but there are screenshots below.

Badge spoiler below:
    TDRzdMm.jpg
    2qYQhZK.jpg
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    6666666666666666444444444444444444BITinAmonth!!!
  • MrStonedOneMrStonedOne Seattle Join Date: 2013-12-19 Member: 190297Members
    With the new speciate slot change you can not use the steam browser (or join game from the friends list, or direct server links) to join full servers that have spectate slots. It flat out does not let you join the server saying its full, even thou it has spectate slots available.
    edited August 2017
    You can not enter the ready room while the teams are full.

Even thou you might want to do hidden room hunting.
    >If a client joins as a dedicated spectator they will automatically be placed on spectators and restricted to it until a player slot opens up, where they can then join the ready room and then a team. Before that point, the player cannot join the ready room. Shuffle or force even team votes will not change this, and neither will admins when attempting to manually move the player.

This is the stupidest change ever.
    Congratulations on making a spectator slot system that is objectively worst then what everybody was already using.
    Also, I frequently have issues where I lose the mouse in spectate mode.

The solution has always been to go into the ready room and then back into spectate mode.

Now I can't do that.
  • HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    edited August 2017
    - Playing a game after restarting the game after a skulk challenge - and my Minimap Settings from ns2+ were still overwritten... wrong colors and stuff - really annoying
    - Performancewise being forced to the readyroom when ns2 is still loading it's really annoying...
    - Not being able to join via Steam is also annoying because due to that I was able to not use the annoying fiddling serverbrowser and join after friends..
    - MarineJump Broken
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    There's this you can do called editing your first post.

Lookin forward to testin this out finally!
  • RammlerRammler Join Date: 2013-06-18 Member: 185607Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Really good job with the skulk challenge. Now we can Work on the lerk challenge maybe. The lerk is the biggest rookie trap atm because flying is very difficult for beginners. You could make the flying challenge harder by giving tasks during the race like spike a target.

• YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Excellent patch, well done, nice to know people are still working hard on this game after all these years on a diet of clog burgers, fried skulk legs and fade jerky.
    edited August 2017
    It's nice that you can see now your friends via on minimap via color, but it's bad because you broke ns2+ colorsettings for aliens because I cannot differentiate between alienstructures and aliens anyymore because my different color isnt showing --_- and I'm also not sure enemyfriends should be highlighted on the minimap
  • develdevel Join Date: 2014-09-13 Member: 198444Members
    I'd like to join the crowd that is angry about the spectator mode that broke the Steam server browser.