Water Filtration Machine bug not to be fixed?

LulzesLulzes Join Date: 2017-07-25 Member: 232050Members

This is a big shame. It's not exactly game-breaking, but it means you have to build excessive power generation into your bases just to get renewable water.

Comments

• BelgarelBelgarel Join Date: 2017-07-03 Member: 231570Members, Subnautica Developer
    Well, there's nothing that really needs power right now. One bioreactor fed with melons can charge a whole cyclops. It'd not hurt to have a few quality of life items that are power hungry.
  • LulzesLulzes Join Date: 2017-07-25 Member: 232050Members
    I hardly think water supply is "quality of life", it's a bit more important than that.
  • 5m4llP0X5m4llP0X Join Date: 2017-06-26 Member: 231356Members
    edited August 2017
    Just after the Lost River and before the inactive Lava Zone is an awesome location that you can put down 6 Thermal Reactors and it'll power 2 Water filtration systems, scanner room and a moon pool plus other basic necessities (fabricator, battery chargers)
    5 will drain too fast, sadly.
  • BelgarelBelgarel Join Date: 2017-07-03 Member: 231570Members, Subnautica Developer
    Lulzes wrote: »
    I hardly think water supply is "quality of life", it's a bit more important than that.

It really isn't. Melons have more than enough water to take care of your water needs. It's nice to have free salt and some backup water but not necessary at all.
  • Crewman87Crewman87 Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224967Members
    edited August 2017
    I am currently based in the lost river tree, using 6 thermal generators, plus 1 nuclear reactor. This is enough to run two (maybe 3) filtration machines. It sucks having to do all of this, but there is enough resources in the lost river to keep nuclear running for a good while. Generally my diet is x3 marble melons +1 filtered water. I just save the excess for those expeditions into the active lava zone.
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    Personally, I never build the Water Filtration System. Like @Belgarel, I get all my water from Melons. But if you are using it, I can definitely see how frustrating it can be if the WFS drains all your power. Looking at the Trello card, it sounds like @Obraxis "has your back" as he wrote yesterday:

"It's really gamebreaking."
    Belgarel wrote: »

It really isn't. Melons have more than enough water to take care of your water needs. It's nice to have free salt and some backup water but not necessary at all.

This ties you to a base or the Cyclops however, where you can grow food. Water bottles (and cured fish) give you more freedom as they don't spoil.
    edited August 2017
    It's been fixed!
    52103 /main/jonas-FixPowerSystem3 2017-08-13 01:58:47 Jonas Grohmann Fixed power system issue.
    52102 /main/jonas-FixPowerSystem3 2017-08-13 00:08:31 Jonas Grohmann Fixed power system issue.
    52101 /main/jonas-FixPowerSystem3 2017-08-12 23:01:18 Jonas Grohmann Debugging power system issues.
    52099 /main/jonas-FixPowerSystem3 2017-08-12 22:09:38 Jonas Grohmann Debugging power system issues.

Thanks Jonas! Just tested it, seems to work really well, had 2 machines going and the power was dropping but not plummetting.
    Nice!

52103 /main/jonas-FixPowerSystem3 2017-08-13 01:58:47 Jonas Grohmann Fixed power system issue.
    52102 /main/jonas-FixPowerSystem3 2017-08-13 00:08:31 Jonas Grohmann Fixed power system issue.

It's funny. Their check-in log shows through 52103. But when I launched SN just now, it showed 52106. LOL. :)

Belgarel wrote: »

This ties you to a base or the Cyclops however, where you can grow food. Water bottles (and cured fish) give you more freedom as they don't spoil.

Good point! I think most of us played the most before they made the Cyclops so vulnerable and always kept our melons on the Cyclops and used it as a mobile base. Now that the Cyclops isn't invulnerable, I may be traveling more in my Seamoth and need to carry food with me. Thus, I'll want the free water from the WFS.

I prefer travelling in the Seamoth anyway, and only use the Cyclops for base-building or storyline expeditions. Having to check back into a base or the Cyclops often to harvest food just means you can't travel far from either.
    edited August 2017

I carried a base-in-a-box in my seamoth and prawn so I could just set up and eat/recharge wherever I went. The larger version I carried in my prawn also had a scanner room.
  • GlassDeviantGlassDeviant Terra Join Date: 2017-02-27 Member: 228342Members
    edited August 2017
    How much water do you need anyway?

I have a base in Safe Shallows with 2 moonpools, 3 water filtration machines (complete overkill) and loaded up with everything I could imagine ever needing. I never have problems with just 4 thermal reactors, because the WFMs stop drawing power once they are full.

I don't have to worry about my 02 supply running out just because the WFMs have drained the power reserve and I just docked my nearly drained seamoth, for instance, like I once used to experience in a much earlier build.
  • baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
    How much water do you need anyway?

I have a base in Safe Shallows with 2 moonpools, 3 water filtration machines (complete overkill) and loaded up with everything I could imagine ever needing. I never have problems with just 4 thermal reactors, because the WFMs stop drawing power once they are full.

I don't have to worry about my 02 supply running out just because the WFMs have drained the power reserve and I just docked my nearly drained seamoth, for instance, like I once used to experience in a much earlier build.

The bugs with the WFM and Scanner Room cameras drawing too much power have indeed been fixed.
  • lapis12lapis12 Join Date: 2019-01-18 Member: 248937Members
    edited January 2019
    The most important point to consider here is that the quality of water supply.