6 DOF Seamoth movement

leenpowellleenpowell Join Date: 2017-07-19 Member: 231926Members
I think it would be pretty cool if the Seamoth was capable of 6 degrees of freedom movement (eliminating the gimbal lock). They would also have to add a roll function so we could reset and disable the auto-level feature. The Seamoth would then handle a lot more like a spacecraft. Can anyone think of a downside to this (besides possible disorientation)?

Comments

• LulzesLulzes Join Date: 2017-07-25 Member: 232050Members
    It does already roll a bit... I think the disorientation might be more than you bargained for, but it would be interesting to try out!
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    leenpowell wrote: »
    I think it would be pretty cool if the Seamoth was capable of 6 degrees of freedom movement (eliminating the gimbal lock). They would also have to add a roll function so we could reset and disable the auto-level feature. The Seamoth would then handle a lot more like a spacecraft. Can anyone think of a downside to this (besides possible disorientation)?
    Lulzes wrote: »
    It does already roll a bit... I think the disorientation might be more than you bargained for, but it would be interesting to try out!

Pssh.

I cut my teeth on this:

677026-descentcover.jpg
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    leenpowell wrote: »

I find it immersion breaking that a vehicle as long as the Cyclops is, and how unevenly weighted it is (from bow to stern) that it can always manage to rotate in a perfect circle, and always on a 0° axis. It's a submarine that travels underwater, are you telling me it can't descend or ascend at an angle? The Seamoth can operate just as easily, and they are both made by Alterra for extreme environment usage. Also the fact that the Cyclops can't strafe like the Seamoth does makes it very tedious for close-quarters movement, like inside the DGR biome. At this point I don't really care what they do, but I would like a change to make the Cyclops more maneuverable to operate.
  • mikeloevenmikeloeven Join Date: 2017-04-14 Member: 229623Members
    Yeah we need 6 DOF for alot of reasons the biggest being cyclops maneuverability but also the fact that it is sometimes hard to target some things due to the fact that the seamoth and seaglide flips out when you are inclined too much. Honestly I would also love full hotas support