I still can't save my game.

ZehmZehm England Join Date: 2017-05-20 Member: 230647Members
Hi there. I made a post a few months ago about this issue but the problem never got resolved. https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/151988/game-wont-save#latest

My system Info: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxtfaZYxEHfwUEQwbnVHNGF1cnM

I bought Subnautica through the Oculus Store and I am playing in VR.
I cannot launch the game in desktop mode. Trying to do just has the game return to desktop, generating the following output log: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxtfaZYxEHfwbUlfN19HQTNsUjA
I'm including this here on the off chance that it might have something to do with my main issue.

The main issue being:

When I try to save the game, the game does not recognise that I have tried to save and return's to game play. If I try to save a second time, the game freezes with a red error box stating "Save Data Loading Failed". At this point I'm forced to use task manager to close the program down.
The output log for this situation can be seen here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxtfaZYxEHfwLTVuYmpCTFNNNm8

I'd love to be able to play this game, but at the moment all I can do is get my feet wet, so to speak, since I have to start from scratch with every session. Can anyone see what is causing this problem and how it can be resolved?

Comments

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    I would also send the above post to subnautica-support@unknownworlds.com just to be sure a dev sees your log files.
  • ZehmZehm England Join Date: 2017-05-20 Member: 230647Members
    I'm bumping this thread in the hopes that I can get some sort of help with this issue. I've been through 2 graphics driver updates as well as at least one Subnautica update since this began and there has been no change.

I've read the troubleshooting guide which states that this problem is linked to Intel graphics drivers and the igfxem.exe process. But as far as I can tell, that issue is caused by igfxem.exe limiting access to Steam and can be overcome by disabling igfxem.exe. That's is problematic for two reason for me.

1. I am not running the steam version, so I'm not sure if it is relevant anyway.
    2. I do not have igfxem.exe running as it is not a part of my system processes. I have searched to make sure of this and can't find it anywhere. If I try to update the driver through the Intel website, I'm refused access because my computer does not meet the requirements for install.

So my problem seem to be something other than what has been observed, (and supposedly fixed).

I've made multiple forum posts about this. Sent logs to the Devs directly. And posted on the Subnautic Discord server.

But nothing... No reply. No help. No solution.

Please Devs, throw me a bone here.
    @nesrak1 Can you tell what's going on based on his logs?

@Zehm can you link to that guide on fixing igfxem? I actually have an Intel integrated GPU (part of the core i-series CPUs) and I'd like to have a look at it.
  • nesrak1nesrak1 Places Join Date: 2016-12-04 Member: 224536Members
    edited July 2017
    @0x6A7232 Link to igfxem guide: https://communities.intel.com/thread/108730

@nesrak1 I'm not sure whether playing around with the display options would help me. I'm running in VR and I can't launch in desktop for some reason. It seems like I'm not the only one having this particular problem either. https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/151951/subnautica-wont-play-on-desktop-after-playing-in-vr
  • SubstancePSubstanceP Join Date: 2017-07-13 Member: 231801Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    I would also send the above post to subnautica-support@unknownworlds.com just to be sure a dev sees your log files.

Are the devs active in replying? My game just crashed immediately after saving and it looks like I lost all of my save data. When I load, it loads into a fresh save and says I've only played 2 hours, when I actually had about 40. I emailed them and really hope they can help. :(
    SubstanceP wrote: »

Are the devs active in replying? My game just crashed immediately after saving and it looks like I lost all of my save data. When I load, it loads into a fresh save and says I've only played 2 hours, when I actually had about 40. I emailed them and really hope they can help. :(

Sounds like it crashed before finishing saving. :/ The devs are active, but are currently buried trying to get the game to v1.0 state (there's only ~20 of them).
    Heh. So IGFXEM is an Intel driver process that sits active making sure Intel's drivers don't get modified. At least it's fixed as of the latest Intel drivers (anyone else reading this having igfxem.exe problems, you should probably do a DDU of Intel drivers and install of the latest version)
    Sorry, was on mobile and didn't even see the title, just clicked on the file and read the last log message. In your second log the render texture log is being spammed. When you save a second time there's an error that says it's still saving. The first time it errors because it's resizing the save preview screenshot.
    How to fix it, don't know because I can't debug on your computer.
    edited July 2017
    Accidental duplicate post.
    SubstanceP wrote: »

Sounds like it crashed before finishing saving. :/ The devs are active, but are currently buried trying to get the game to v1.0 state (there's only ~20 of them).

Is there any way to restore this save or is it gone for good? Looking in my Subnautica local files, I only see a "slot0000" file, I don't see any other game save.
    Here's the core files:
    • gameinfo.json
    • global-objects.bin
    • scene-objects.bin
    • screenshot.jpg (<- that's the little thumbnail showing you a preview of the save when you go to load)

So, if you can recover them, then you'll be able to continue your save.
    Here's the core files:
    • gameinfo.json
    • global-objects.bin
    • scene-objects.bin
    • screenshot.jpg (<- that's the little thumbnail showing you a preview of the save when you go to load)

So, if you can recover them, then you'll be able to continue your save.

I started a new save file (with a Steam backup this time) and started over. When I look at what's in slot 0, it looks like the screenshot is from my new save. Did I save over the old save if it were still there? If it still is in there somewhere, how can I transfer it into the right folder?
    I don't know. The screenshot file just has to exist, it doesn't even have to contain anything. (Subnautica will display a question mark or somesuch, but will load the save successfully. But if there's no screenshot file, the save won't show up in the list and can't be loaded.)

You can make your own slot0000 0001 0002 folders and put whatever you want in them (just don't mix and match the first 3 files or things will get jumbled in the saves, obviously. You'd have the bases from one save with the progression and blueprints of another, or something).
    @nesrak1 Thanks for looking it over. Do you think that the save problem (failing to create save preview) is connected with the games inability to run in desktop mode. The error message seems to be the same.

desktop: 1920x1080 30Hz; virtual: 1920x1080 at 0,0
    D3D11: Failed to create RenderTexture (0 x 0 fmt 27 aa 1), error 0x80070057

That is what shows in the log when trying to boot in desktop mode.

I've tried removing all trace of the game from my hard drive, including all the files located in Appdata\localLow, but the game crashes every time regardless, so I don't think it has anything to be with a flag been present telling the game to run in VR.
    And for what it's worth, when running in VR, my monitor only shows a black screen, which is a little odd since every other VR app I have runs a duplicate of what is displayed in the headset on the monitor. Could anyone confirm if this is normal behaviour?

I'm just making assumptions here, but could the problem I'm experiencing have anything to do with the game not being able to display on the monitor? Could this be why it fails to create a save preview and crashes - because their is no image being displayed except for in the VR headset?
    Might be, I haven't played subnautica on vr so I wouldn't know if it was normal for it to be black on the desktop but the fact that it has problems taking a screenshot, it seems to be linked.
    How do you change settings in this game? I can't find a config file anywhere. I can't add launch options because its Oculus Home version. The in game menu has next to nothing in the settings screen. It's making finding a solution to this problem really difficult when options for experimenting are so limited.
    edited July 2017
    We got it fixed, it was caused by the width and height being set to 0 in the registry.
    I feel it's a bad design because even if you reinstall, the registry values are going to stay there.
    nesrak1 wrote: »
    We got it fixed, it was caused by the width and height being set to 0 in the registry.
    I feel it's a bad design because even if you reinstall, the registry values are going to stay there.

O.o Can you list where that reg setting is in case others run across it? And can you just delete the reg key and Subnautica will autoset a correct one, or do you have to specify a res manually?
    Actually, I wonder if this isn't the cause of several unresolved players problems...