Scanner Room Doesn't Scroll

Recon777Recon777 Join Date: 2016-04-08 Member: 215505Members
Just updated the game to Voices, and I noticed that the scanner room's search menu still doesn't scroll.

This happens when there are too many item types to fit on the display. Mouse wheel does nothing but change tool selection. It should scroll the display, otherwise items which are alphabetically later in the list cannot be scanned for.

Comments

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Recon777 wrote: »
    Just updated the game to Voices, and I noticed that the scanner room's search menu still doesn't scroll.

This happens when there are too many item types to fit on the display. Mouse wheel does nothing but change tool selection. It should scroll the display, otherwise items which are alphabetically later in the list cannot be scanned for.

This is with a Scanner Room constructed after the update? I don't think it should matter, but just in case it does, you could pop a new Creative Game up and give it a shot.
  • Recon777Recon777 Join Date: 2016-04-08 Member: 215505Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »

This is with a Scanner Room constructed after the update? I don't think it should matter, but just in case it does, you could pop a new Creative Game up and give it a shot.

Oh it has to be rebuilt? This was loading up an existing game from the previous version.

But I have confirmed (in creative mode) that a newly built scanner room does not have enough space on the screen, and does not scroll. I built one in the jelly schroom cave by the old base.
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    Scanner Room remains useless. Not really a reason to build one unless you are just a completionist.
    garath wrote: »
    Scanner Room remains useless. Not really a reason to build one unless you are just a completionist.

It's far from useless. The drones are useless because of the limited range. But the scan itself (chipped into your vision with the upgrade) is pretty close to being cheaty because you can just swim around finding everything (including fragments) with no effort. Maybe the drones should have a longer range than the scan.

And the UI still needs work, hence my original post.

It's far from useless. The drones are useless because of the limited range. But the scan itself (chipped into your vision with the upgrade) is pretty close to being cheaty because you can just swim around finding everything (including fragments) with no effort. Maybe the drones should have a longer range than the scan.

And the UI still needs work, hence my original post.

Okay. If you happen to build the Scanner Room on the night of a full moon while holding a four leaf clover in your right hand and a rabbit's foot in your left hand, then, yes, the Scanner Room *might* (if you hold your nose just right) scan for the item you are looking for. Then, it is truly awesome. But it can be a real pain finding the four leave clover and rabbit's foot needed for the construction. Without those magical items, you are probably only going to be able to search for stuff you really don't want.
    I don't even know how to comment on that. You do realize you can choose what you scan for, yes? That is the subject of this entire thread.
    I don't even know how to comment on that. You do realize you can choose what you scan for, yes? That is the subject of this entire thread.

I just re-read the OP, and it complains you can't search for what you want because the list only shows a set number of items. If the item you want is alphabetically below that set number of items, you can't search for the item you want. So, I find it odd that you create a post saying the entire point of the thread is that you *CAN* choose what to scan for. You might want to re-read the original post.... which you wrote. Hmmm.... :)

I just re-read the OP, and it complains you can't search for what you want because the list only shows a set number of items. If the item you want is alphabetically below that set number of items, you can't search for the item you want. So, I find it odd that you create a post saying the entire point of the thread is that you *CAN* choose what to scan for. You might want to re-read the original post.... which you wrote. Hmmm.... :)

I'm sure you're smart enough to understand the context disparity between the two points you just illustrated.

(a) filter is partially broken because there's not enough room to scroll.
    (b) filter is NOT completely broken. You CAN search for certain items, hence my comment two posts up.
    edited June 2017

I'm sure you're smart enough to understand the context disparity between the two points you just illustrated.

(a) filter is partially broken because there's not enough room to scroll.
    (b) filter is NOT completely broken. You CAN search for certain items, hence my comment two posts up.

I said I can't find the item I'm looking for but can find stuff I'm not looking for. Since the point of the entire thread is the inability of the Scanner Room to scroll, I assumed the reader would infer this occurs because the scanner room can't scroll. In my post, I explicitly stated you can find stuff.

Sometimes, I build the Scanner Room, and Sandstone is on the list. Glorious days! Silver to last a lifetime!! Then, you go back to the Scanner Room. Now, alphabetically, Sandstone is nowhere to be seen. Sad face. One of the reasons Sandstone is so far down is because the Scanner Room is searching for BS items I could care less about. Yeah, it can find those items with pinpoint accuracy. But who really cares about those items.

• Jimmy_Jimmy_JonsonJimmy_Jimmy_Jonson Join Date: 2017-07-19 Member: 231907Members
    edited July 2017

THE SR IS AWESOME (well ya know... exept for the No ScRoLlInG) PLS CHANGE IT TO SCROLLING SUBNAUTICA!!!!!!!! SERIOUSLY!!!!

• elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    ... I thought it was supposed to do this. Like, some days it can search for some things and other days the list changes and you can search for others. I figured it was just part of the challenge of the game. c.c
  • LulzesLulzes Join Date: 2017-07-25 Member: 232050Members
    OP is right, it can't scroll but it isn't useless. The bugs need to be fixed. I find the SR incredibly useful to get an idea of the surrounding topgraphy, in fact I'm building mini-bases (SR plus one room) to scan areas of interest. So far, Uunderwater Islands is the most revealing, plus I have one in the Deep Grand Reef and one in the Bulb (Koosh) Zone which shows the massive entrance to the ILZ in front of the Aurora wreck.
  • mikeloevenmikeloeven Join Date: 2017-04-14 Member: 229623Members
    The problem is that this is a known issue that I reported a few months ago and others have reported long before me and the fact that this still hasn't been addressed dispute a complete HUD overhaul and numerous updates is really bad.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    They probably don't know exactly what the problem is, or, they do, and the solution is something pretty intense (complete refactoring of some system or another, perhaps).
    Prigramming is hard work, and most projects as ambitious as this run out of money along the way while trying to add cool features like the Scanner Room. Maybe if the game sells well once completed, the Scannet Room will get some enhancements in an expansion pack.
  • ThatBlindPersonThatBlindPerson Join Date: 2017-07-31 Member: 232151Members
    As a kind of Pseudo fix for you guys:

Scan for something, sleep, cancel scan.

This usually displays the other options for me. (Sleeping advances the game worlds time, completes scans, regrows food, etc etc)

It's also worth noting, even if it's unintended on the games part, letting a scan reach it's maximum range seems to "find" other things to scan for, as does swimming with the HUD chip and using the camera drones (I throw the camera drones down as marker beacons lol <_<) to survey an area.