Repair Tool Exploit

MaxAstroMaxAstro Join Date: 2005-07-07 Member: 55451Members Posts: 136 Advanced user
Just discovered this while I was building the new Cyclops module. Short on copper? No problem - you can turn magnesium and sulfur into batteries!

Just craft a repair tool... and then remove the fresh, fully charged battery from your new toy. :)
"The world ends with you. If you want to enjoy life, expand your world. You gotta push your horizons out as far as they'll go." - Sanae Hanekoma

Comments

• JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members Posts: 582 Advanced user
    I saw that a while back. I think it's more a verisimilitude problem than something that can be exploited, considering it's likely easier to get Copper than Crashfish Powder.
    The 'e' is silent. BRING BACK "Great job not dying." !!!
    orobourosRainstorm
  • xm234xm234 Poland Join Date: 2017-03-26 Member: 229207Members Posts: 42 Advanced user
    Jacke wrote: »
    I saw that a while back. I think it's more a verisimilitude problem than something that can be exploited, considering it's likely easier to get Copper than Crashfish Powder.

The best option would be to make batteries "not included" for any craftable tool. The same should apply for scanner room/camera drones, vehicle power cells, etc.
    zetachron
  • orobourosorobouros US Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215163Members Posts: 117 Advanced user
    Jacke wrote: »

I agree... and I was looking up the recipe details for the Floodlight to talk about how that used to be exploitable for infinite batteries, without losing your original mats like you do with the repair tool. But to my great surprise and delight, I found they not only fixed the exploit, but the general uselessness of floodlights by making them seabase-powered, like everyone's been asking since forever! I never would have known. I would have kept ignoring them as purposeless things that didn't even shine through one whole night before losing power. Now I can light my gardens! Hooray!
    Rainstorm
  • MaxAstroMaxAstro Join Date: 2005-07-07 Member: 55451Members Posts: 136 Advanced user
    Yeah, it's not really much of an exploit, but it definitely breaks suspension of disbelief; the repair tool should probably require a battery in its recipe like every other tool does. :)
    "The world ends with you. If you want to enjoy life, expand your world. You gotta push your horizons out as far as they'll go." - Sanae Hanekoma
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members Posts: 825 Advanced user
    If you need copper, just go to the sea treader'so path. 20 copper in 5 min. Oh, and did I mention it's infinite?
    I am Kingkuma, Leader of the PH/SP , Slayer of Cuddlefish, Conspiracy theorist , Humanizer of warpers , Shifter of sands , Creator of Fanart , Enemy of Crabsquids , Hater of Lava Larvae , Winner of the great stalker bar brawl of 2017 , Creator of flowcharts , Killer of time , Romancer of warpers ,and head designer for the ALTERRA 5th airborne division.

I have a webcomic. It involves Tsundere Nereids, Canadians, magic, girls wielding crossbows, and possibly Scott Pilgrim. It updates every Wednesday at 4 pm EST. Check it out. (No, please, check it out.)

Also: Stop hating on the warpers. They have feelings too, ya'know.
    xm234
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members Posts: 1,050 Advanced user
    honestly copper is so easy to get early game in the Shallows and then later in the game from the sea treaders thats this ''exploit'' isnt really one .... im pretty sure they'll add a battery to the repair tool's recipe eventually tho