Repair Tool Exploit

MaxAstroMaxAstro Join Date: 2005-07-07 Member: 55451Members
Just discovered this while I was building the new Cyclops module. Short on copper? No problem - you can turn magnesium and sulfur into batteries!

Just craft a repair tool... and then remove the fresh, fully charged battery from your new toy. :)

Comments

• JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    I saw that a while back. I think it's more a verisimilitude problem than something that can be exploited, considering it's likely easier to get Copper than Crashfish Powder.
  • xm234xm234 Poland Join Date: 2017-03-26 Member: 229207Members
    Jacke wrote: »
    I saw that a while back. I think it's more a verisimilitude problem than something that can be exploited, considering it's likely easier to get Copper than Crashfish Powder.

The best option would be to make batteries "not included" for any craftable tool. The same should apply for scanner room/camera drones, vehicle power cells, etc.
  • orobourosorobouros US Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215163Members
    Jacke wrote: »

I agree... and I was looking up the recipe details for the Floodlight to talk about how that used to be exploitable for infinite batteries, without losing your original mats like you do with the repair tool. But to my great surprise and delight, I found they not only fixed the exploit, but the general uselessness of floodlights by making them seabase-powered, like everyone's been asking since forever! I never would have known. I would have kept ignoring them as purposeless things that didn't even shine through one whole night before losing power. Now I can light my gardens! Hooray!
  • MaxAstroMaxAstro Join Date: 2005-07-07 Member: 55451Members
    Yeah, it's not really much of an exploit, but it definitely breaks suspension of disbelief; the repair tool should probably require a battery in its recipe like every other tool does. :)
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    If you need copper, just go to the sea treader'so path. 20 copper in 5 min. Oh, and did I mention it's infinite?
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    honestly copper is so easy to get early game in the Shallows and then later in the game from the sea treaders thats this ''exploit'' isnt really one .... im pretty sure they'll add a battery to the repair tool's recipe eventually tho