Cyclops recharging

tommy21toestommy21toes Subnautica Join Date: 2017-05-21 Member: 230666Members
With the change to 1:1 power charge on power cell rechargers on the Cyclops, there's no easy way to keep it powered beyond hauling batteries into and out of bases. I'm proposing a replacement of the reduced power consumption mod with a bio filter/ bio reactor upgrade.

The concept is that it filters brill and lose kelp to offset some of the power draw while in use, which gives identical power reduction to the other mod, but when idle it has a very slow recharge rate of the cells. A full day of in game time for say 25% of one cell. It would make sense that while stationary the amount gathered would be reduced, and you would still be losing power while moving the beast.

I don't really think this is a necessary change if the Cyclops docking area for bases is still in the works. Maybe power transmitters can recharge the Cyclops from the bases, but I wasn't able to get that to work, and the battery swapping just feels grindy.

Comments

• FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    If you have power transmitters connect to the Cyclops, it would mess up energy transfer to your base by driving by. So I'd propose a special, short range vehicle recharging station that transmits specifically to the Cyclops and maybe other vehicles. You can connect those then with power transmitters to energy sources. Would make establishing recharge stations easier or at least their use more convenient.
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    Cyclops needs a reactor, solar cells, and thermoelectric options.

Also, direct charging from bases without having to do cell-switching busywork would be nice.
  • VexsteVexste Lost in the depths Join Date: 2017-05-23 Member: 230715Members
    This isn't a bad idea. I liken the ingenuity of it. Good thinking.
  • Sam_StarfallSam_Starfall Join Date: 2017-05-21 Member: 230665Members
    I'm neutral over the following:
    - Recharging via (if the total drain of your base is solved)
    - Getting a nuclear reactor inside
    - Module with solar/thermal/EMP/nuclear recharge (but I don't expect those to be really balanced)
    - Keeping it as it is, but making powercell more important. (see my other topic)
  • Micah2DaMaxMicah2DaMax Join Date: 2017-05-29 Member: 230816Members
    I believe it should be possible to add Solar Panels to the top of a cyclops, but maybe have to get a Power Transmission Module or something. That's just my opinion though.
  • ThePassionateGamerThePassionateGamer Germany Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218219Members
    Didn't someone mention not too long ago in a thread, that the Cyclops get's a Solar Recharge Upgrade like the Seamoth? I remember reading something about that. Don't remember who wrote that though, but he did write something that he got his info via an official source. Trello maybe? Dunno...

But that should help recharging your Cyclops alot combined with a possible base recharge option once we get the Cyclops docking function. But by this time we should have an option to generate and or store more power or one nearly empty Cyclops could serverly suck all your power for the time it is docked.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited May 2017
    @Silveressa Just so you know, Cyclops power is now realistic. (But they don't have the charging solution figured out yet besides carting the Power Cells).
  • SilveressaSilveressa USA Join Date: 2015-03-18 Member: 202279Members
    Thanks for letting me know, and carting the cells isn't too big of a bother, if you don't mind a bit of tedium you can also rechrage them in the field using the Seamoth's solar upgrade, or the Prawn's thermal one and just swap out cells for fresh ones. (Or at least you could, haven't played it since the latest update, waiting for 1.0 since it's so close to release.)
  • tommy21toestommy21toes Subnautica Join Date: 2017-05-21 Member: 230666Members
    Silveressa wrote: »
    Thanks for letting me know, and carting the cells isn't too big of a bother, if you don't mind a bit of tedium you can also rechrage them in the field using the Seamoth's solar upgrade, or the Prawn's thermal one and just swap out cells for fresh ones. (Or at least you could, haven't played it since the latest update, waiting for 1.0 since it's so close to release.)

Smart thinking. If you have the patience, those are still options in a pinch. Might be a little tough to surface a seamoth with a zero percent battery at depth, but if you have a prawn in the heat or a low charged power cell, I could see that working with the seamoth.

I thnk the option I'm going to use is a wall cabinet on each side of Cyclops, right next to the engine, with 3 cells in each. Then when I make it back to my main base, swap the dead cells out and put them in 3 power cell chargers I have at the base. I have enough cabinets on the Cyclops that I can free up 6 slots in my inventory for cells, make 1 trip, and be back on the water.
  • ThePassionateGamerThePassionateGamer Germany Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218219Members
    I thnk the option I'm going to use is a wall cabinet on each side of Cyclops, right next to the engine, with 3 cells in each. Then when I make it back to my main base, swap the dead cells out and put them in 3 power cell chargers I have at the base. I have enough cabinets on the Cyclops that I can free up 6 slots in my inventory for cells, make 1 trip, and be back on the water.
    That is a quite efficient way indeed. I include the following in a spoiler for those who don't want to know what is going on in the experimental version:
    I saw a video that showcased an update for the Precurser-Prison-Base that has a kind of IonCrystalNode-Generator that "produces" unlimited drill able IonCrystalNodes on a little plattform. You could mine them with the prawn and as soon as it was gone it would be replaced by a cool animation and some green lightning. It was out of the experimental version so it may make it way into the stable version. So basically this means unlimited Ioncrystals which at least for me, is a great thing. That could greatly reduce the recharge needs and extend our possible Cyclops/Seamoth/Prawn trips aswell as any battery/cell powered device.

I am indeed looking forward to a complete Ionpowered game experience. Having everything run on Ionbatteries and Ionpowercells sounds nice.
    So yeah recharging may soon become a thing we don't have to do regulary anymore.