powercell exploite

gunmetal563gunmetal563 Join Date: 2015-09-30 Member: 208239Members
the wall charger is neat but i have found that i can change out the powercells in the seamoth and/or the prawnsuit wail its in the moonpool to charge them almost instantly making the wall mounted powercell charger pointless

7dzrlt73x6z1.jpg

the prawnsuit is easier as you dont have to be in the water to change it
6pja3d6poa6b.jpg

Comments

• Sam_StarfallSam_Starfall Join Date: 2017-05-21 Member: 230665Members
    I think many players just assume it will be fixed during polish,

Myself I just posted an alternative
    https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/151993/using-the-powercells-charger-as-the-main-base-battery/p1?new=1
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited May 2017
    I dunno, I just assumed it was a trade-off for the sake of convenience. You can charge Power Cells slowly while being away from the Seabase, or rapidly recharge them at the cost of your stored supply of power. Even with Thermal Plants or Nuclear Plants, charging Power Cells with the Moonpool will cripple your power supply if you rely on multiple Water Filtration Machines and other power-intensive appliances like the Spotlight or Medical Kit Fabricator.

Maybe they should reduce the power consumption rate and the recharge rate, but given how much more resources are needed for the Moonpool vs the Power Cell Charger, the MP should have an advantage over the PCC, in my opinion. Not to mention the fact the Moonpool is a friggin' SEABASE ROOM that distributes power to environmental vehicles and their complex electronic consoles... as opposed to a small appliance that charges two smaller devices. :smirk:
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    Yeah, I don't really see the problem with it either, it still costs Base Energy to do it.
    So what it's faster, I actually use the Wall Chargers to hold my extra power cells anyway.
    (it's cooler looking than just stuffing them into a locker)

This constant searching for "exploits" that some folks spend their time doing, seems to me to be a really pizz-poor way to play the game.

B)
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    DaveyNY wrote: »

This constant searching for "exploits" that some folks spend their time doing, seems to me to be a really pizz-poor way to play the game.

B)

Hey, if it helps the devs find bugs and workarounds that hurt the intended product it's a good thing at this stage.

This is a neat trick but I wouldn't say it's an exploit, you are still paying for the power and it's probably more expensive to do it this way in terms of base power lost. The speed is a good tradeoff for that.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    Ralij wrote: »

B)

Hey, if it helps the devs find bugs and workarounds that hurt the intended product it's a good thing at this stage.

This is a neat trick but I wouldn't say it's an exploit, you are still paying for the power and it's probably more expensive to do it this way in terms of base power lost. The speed is a good tradeoff for that.

Yeah completely agree. We are basically playtesters since the game is still in Early Access and our ''job'' is to find out what seem to not work as intended so the Devs can get to it before official release. In my opinion its a very cool job tho :smiley: But still im not convinced this is how its meant to be.

Of course one could very well get a powercell charger long before the moonpool, then once the moonpool is acquired its much easier and faster to recharge the cells like that if thats what they choose to go for as a progression .... but then imo it should be much harder to get the moonpool than it is now.
  • Sam_StarfallSam_Starfall Join Date: 2017-05-21 Member: 230665Members
    It is certainly convenient to use yet inconvenient to exploit (jumping into the water or using a Mech...)
    Whether or not they rework the energy, I don't see this 'bug/feature' cause problem.
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    And then there is still the exploit of recharging your ion power cell with a capacity of 1000 without the station loosing 1000 energy in return.
    ;)

I know right now the energy exploits are getting closed and the system reworked, but will this also be the case for the station rechargers? Because if this happens, then the energy need of a station will drastically rise. While a station could have far less than 1000 power in the past, this would make stations need 1000's of energy from power plants. Considering how much resources you must gather for power that should get ugly.
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    It is certainly convenient to use yet inconvenient to exploit (jumping into the water or using a Mech...)
    Whether or not they rework the energy, I don't see this 'bug/feature' cause problem.

Agreed. Base power is consumed either way, so it's more or less a personal preference sort of thing. Besides, I can't think of any time where I've needed a ton of charged power cells right now...probably because I have a rack of cell chargers to hold spares at 100%, but that's another story. :)
  • Amazing_AquacatAmazing_Aquacat North Texas Join Date: 2017-05-22 Member: 230676Members
    the wall charger is neat but i have found that i can change out the powercells in the seamoth and/or the prawnsuit wail its in the moonpool to charge them almost instantly making the wall mounted powercell charger pointless

7dzrlt73x6z1.jpg

the prawnsuit is easier as you dont have to be in the water to change it
    6pja3d6poa6b.jpg

Sorry for the drift, but I really like that blue on both your subs.
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    Try this experiment:

1. Drain your Seamoth to zero power.
    2. Dock the Seamoth in your Moon Pool
    3. Observe what happens to your base power.
    (It drops by a HUGE amount immediately)

Experiment two:

1. Place (4) completely depleted Power Cells in your Power Cell Charger
    2. Observe what happens to your base power.
    (Does it even drop at all while slowly charging them to full?)

As things currently stand, the exploit is most definitely not using the Moon Pool. If there is any exploit at all, it is the "FREE" energy you get when you use the Power Cell Charger...

Though, judging from the recent changes to the Cyclops, I doubt it will stay that way long...

• RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    edited May 2017
    I don't think the power cell charger is free energy, just that it uses power so slowly that whatever power source you are using takes care of the drain before its really noticable.

Ran a quick test just to make sure I wasn't spewing nonsense.
    Power cell charger takes roughly 13 seconds to charge 1%.
    At the present the power cell charger gives 6% energy to a cell for every 1 power taken.
    By contrast the bioreactor generates 1 power every 12 seconds (abouts)

So as it stands the drain of a power cell charger is roughly 1 power every 78 seconds, or roughly 7 energy throughout the night (if using solar panels)
    In the same amount of time the bioreactor, the worst energy producer in the game, produces 6.5 power.

so... is not free but might as well be.
  • gunmetal563gunmetal563 Join Date: 2015-09-30 Member: 208239Members
    garath wrote: »
    Try this experiment:

Experiment two:

As things currently stand, the exploit is most definitely not using the Moon Pool. If there is any exploit at all, it is the "FREE" energy you get when you use the Power Cell Charger...

Though, judging from the recent changes to the Cyclops, I doubt it will stay that way long...

vehicles in real life don't charge that fast and yes letterly rather then charging it slowly the moonpool transfers a huge amount power from your base to your vehicle and if you don't have a buffer or extra power in storage you can kill your base in till the generator caches up

i also don't think that you should be able to go right back out as soon as you get back i think you should at least have wait a little wile for the battery's in the vehicle to charge especially when your using ion powercels
    edited May 2017
    Try this experiment:

Experiment two:

I tried experiment 1, but it failed as my 0% energy Seamoth could no longer move, so I couldn't dock it in my Moonpool.

Experiment 2 also failed, as my Power Cell Charger can only hold 2 Power Cells, so I'm afraid I couldn't test that either </snark> :tongue:

In all seriousness, I see what you're getting at - the Moonpool drains power much faster than the PCC. However, the PCC doesn't give 'free energy' or consume any less amount of energy than the Moonpool does. If you charge PCs with just a Bioreactor or Nuclear Reactor (not using Solar Panels or Thermal Generators) you'll eventually run out of power without refilling the Reactors' fuel source.

Again, it's probably a stylistic choice the devs made: PCCs recharge slower but are more stable, while Moonpools recharge incredibly fast but leave you at risk of running out of power for a while.
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    edited May 2017
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    Try this experiment:

Experiment two:

I tried experiment 1, but it failed as my 0% energy Seamoth could no longer move, so I couldn't dock it in my Moonpool.

Experiment 2 also failed, as my Power Cell Charger can only hold 2 Power Cells, so I'm afraid I couldn't test that either </snark> :tongue:

In all seriousness, I see what you're getting at - the Moonpool drains power much faster than the PCC. However, the PCC doesn't give 'free energy' or consume any less amount of energy than the Moonpool does. If you charge PCs with just a Bioreactor or Nuclear Reactor (not using Solar Panels or Thermal Generators) you'll eventually run out of power without refilling the Reactors' fuel source.

Again, it's probably a stylistic choice the devs made: PCCs recharge slower but are more stable, while Moonpools recharge incredibly fast but leave you at risk of running out of power for a while.

Exactly so. :)

You can think of it using the old washbasin example. Say you have a tub with a filling valve and a drain valve. If you have it filling slowly but not draining, the water will rise. If you open the drain valve a little, it'll be draining water but not as fast as the tub's being filled, so the water still comes up but slowly. Open the drain a bit more and now you're filling and draining at the same rate, so the water level stays put. Drain more and the water starts slowly falling because you're withdrawing more than is going in. Open the drain all the way, though, and water runs out of the tub fast, leaving the level dropping quickly.

The seabase power system really isn't any more sophisticated than that. The powercell charger has a tiny draw, so at most it paces with most power systems. The moonpool, however, is a big drain, so it knocks down the power balance fast. Both do the same thing, but in radically different time spans.

As for the why of it, it's a design strategy. Fully recharging a powercell in a snap is a little out of line; hard-charging like that should shorten the lifespan of the cell. But rather than have players constantly teed off that this moonpool that they labored to build charges their subs too slowly, the concession is made for the sake of gameplay so that players can get on with playing rather than waiting for the sub to charge.

(Note: DO NOT place power cells in the tub. That was an illustrative example. Putting power cells in the tub will probably kill you.) ;)
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    They're working on quick chargers (see Tesla's charging stations), but yeah, I don't know if we'd ever achieve moonpool speeds... but then again, we can fab stuff with Star-Trek style replicator technology, so...
  • william1134william1134 Join Date: 2017-01-09 Member: 226439Members
    I would be quite happy if they allowed us to build solar panel chargers on the subs.
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    I would be quite happy if they allowed us to build solar panel chargers on the subs.

Two PCCs on the cyclops works for me. You don't need any more than that.
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    kingkuma wrote: »

When the change to the power system on the Cyclops comes to Stable, more than one PCC on the Cyclops won't make sense, as you'll no longer be able to get infinite power by swapping around Powercells.
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    Jacke wrote: »
    kingkuma wrote: »

When the change to the power system on the Cyclops comes to Stable, more than one PCC on the Cyclops won't make sense, as you'll no longer be able to get infinite power by swapping around Powercells.

Since the Cyclops doesn't regenerate power like your base does, I don't think we'll want even a single PCC in the Cyclops. If I understand correctly the upcoming changes, then charging a Power Cell in the Cyclops will reduce the power in one of the Cyclops by the exact amount of power charged by the PCC. If that's the case, then if you need to transfer power from the Cyclops to a Power Cell for some reason, it will be just as easy to grab one of the charged Power Cells from the Cylops, right?
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    Since the Cyclops doesn't regenerate power like your base does, I don't think we'll want even a single PCC in the Cyclops. If I understand correctly the upcoming changes, then charging a Power Cell in the Cyclops will reduce the power in one of the Cyclops by the exact amount of power charged by the PCC. If that's the case, then if you need to transfer power from the Cyclops to a Power Cell for some reason, it will be just as easy to grab one of the charged Power Cells from the Cylops, right?
    That depends how you want to handle the power management. It would make sense to build a PCC where you put used cells in to top them off to 100% and have all used cells centralized in the engine, which you can then switch out at a pit stop. Or you have a bunch of more or less used up cells in a locker and need to switch out the engine cells, too at a pit stop. It's not like you're losing power with a PCC, you just transfer it to where you need it for convenience's sake.
  • OjakokkoOjakokko Finland Join Date: 2017-01-20 Member: 226999Members

Or you can just run into them without actively searching for them, you know?

Why are you so strongly against reporting possible mistakes in the game? Be it a theory, someone pointing out an inconsistency, exploit, factual mistake or bug, pointing out game concepts that make no sense or doing math (etc.) considering the game, regardless of how serious is it or is it just for fun, I see you very often saying stuff along the lines:
    "Just play the game and don't theorize about it, it just takes away the fun!"

For many people, these theories add to the fun and are a part of it. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean liking it is somehow wrong. People like different things and have different opinions. Get over it. If you want proof that some people like theorizing, just look at all the game theory channels (Including one named "Game Theory") in YouTube.

Play the game your way, not caring about possible exploits and mistakes, but also let others play the game the way they want to play it instead of telling them how it should be played. If you don't like these threads, just ignore them instead of insulting the OP and anyone else who doesn't play the way you do.

There was once an exploit where you could build a Solar Panel onto a Cyclops and it would actually recharge the sub's power in sunlight, but they nerfed that fairly quickly. What I feel they should do at this point is to add an upgrade module like the Seamoth's Solar Charge Module or the Exosuit's Thermal Charge Module - have it so an upgrade slot is used up for the sake of power restoration. However, since the other two vehicles have their own unique 'power restore' option what I'd personally like to see is Silent Running Mode have the ability to recharge power to the Cyclops. :flushed:

Now before people complain about balance, hear me out: They could add an Upgrade Module that slowly shunts power from 'offline' systems and return it back to the Power Cells. Or they could just make it a natural feature, where even without an upgrade module it could slowly restore power to the Cyclops. But the trade-off would be that you can only get energy restored back during Silent Running, and the sub has to be standing still as it's focusing all of the energy restoration from the inactive systems. Also, any powered appliances such as the Battery Charger or Power Cell Charger would not work in this mode, since the sub is in sleep mode and slowly recharging the Power Cells. That way people don't have to worry about running out of power, and we won't have to worry so much about rotating Power Cells as often.

Also I'd like to point something else out regarding the Cyclops. I finally got to build one and tested out the Fire Extinguisher clip; I was a bit put-off how it operates. If you pick it up, you get a hover option to "Put back Fire Extinguisher" but you apparently just respawn a new one. After removing/replacing one several times I dismally noticed my inventory suddenly had 8 Extinguishers in it. :confused: While I am glad we aren't restricted to keeping a limited supply stored now, just suddenly spawning one from nowhere feels weird to me. I'd rather have it so just one is recharged, or have maybe the Cyclops Fabricator spawn one infinitely (like how the current Cyclops Pressure Compensator can be spammed - why is this a thing??) :(
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited June 2017
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    Also I'd like to point something else out regarding the Cyclops. I finally got to build one and tested out the Fire Extinguisher clip; I was a bit put-off how it operates. If you pick it up, you get a hover option to "Put back Fire Extinguisher" but you apparently just respawn a new one. After removing/replacing one several times I dismally noticed my inventory suddenly had 8 Extinguishers in it. :confused: While I am glad we aren't restricted to keeping a limited supply stored now, just suddenly spawning one from nowhere feels weird to me. I'd rather have it so just one is recharged, or have maybe the Cyclops Fabricator spawn one infinitely (like how the current Cyclops Pressure Compensator can be spammed - why is this a thing??) :(

Pretty sure that's a bug, as I haven't seen that behavior from others playing on experimental (YT streamers)
  • MaxAstroMaxAstro Join Date: 2005-07-07 Member: 55451Members
    I always thought that since the Seamoth gets solar and the Prawn gets thermal, the logical upgrade to the Cyclops would be a nuclear reactor. Besides, everyone wants a nuclear sub, right? :p

That would require nuclear reactors to be rebalanced into not sucking, of course. :)
  • WiirlakWiirlak Blaton Join Date: 2017-05-26 Member: 230772Members
    @MaxAstro That would be awesome .. Until your cyclops got destroyed .. Now, you got a 1km radius of irradiated water ..
  • gunmetal563gunmetal563 Join Date: 2015-09-30 Member: 208239Members
    edited June 2017
    all i was saying is i think that it should take longer tor the moonpool to charge vehicles i don't think we should be able to take the seamoth or prawnsuit out right away after returning
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    edited June 2017
    My idea:
    I'd just put 2 ion cells in a prawn, drop it near a vent, and charge that way. Repeat 3x.
    all i was saying is i think that it should take longer tor the moonpool to charge vehicles i don't think we should be able to take the seamoth or prawnsuit out right away after returning

Not to be a grammar critic, but try to use commas. If you talk like this on a less - friendly forum, you will be made fun of, and nobody wants that.