I love the creep factor of this game

Chris9183Chris9183 Join Date: 2017-05-15 Member: 230526Members
Just wanted to say I've played a lot of horror/scary-type games over the years, and there are a lot of good ones out there...but Subnautica ranks among the best for creating an ominous, spine chilling fear-of-the-unknown atmosphere in much of the later game content, and the real genius of it is it's done just by simulating what is already a real environment (on Earth and very likely elsewhere, which is more terrifying). Everything from making your way down into the ILZ the first time, to exploring the Lost River, to exploring the Aurora; it all screams "you do not belong here".

Well done UWE!

Comments

• CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members
    I love how this game became all this naturally, it wasn't the devs intention to make it like this, but hey its the ocean!
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited May 2017
    I've got something really creepy going on with my game at the moment...

I can hear Leviathan Screams all around my main base, but I've searched everywhere and can't find the darn thing.

My base is built near where the Grassy Plateau's meet the Underwater Islands and part of a Kelp Forest.
    (the main level is about 42 meters down and about 540 meters North-northwest of Life Pod #5)

There's not supposed to be a Leviathan anywhere near there but he sure screams a lot.

:#
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    I've got something really creepy going on with my game at the moment...

I can hear Leviathan Screams all around my main base, but I've searched everywhere and can't find the darn thing.

My base is built near where the Grassy Plateau's meet the Underwater Islands and part of a Kelp Forest.
    (the main level is about 42 meters down and about 540 meters North-northwest of Life Pod #5)

There's not supposed to be a Leviathan anywhere near there but he sure screams a lot.

:#

Probably under the terrain, deep enough to not aggro anything above. Or maybe he's stuck in the JellyShroom caves. ;)
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    Absolutely agreed. This game scares me in a way that nothing else does. I don't usually like horror but this game has a good tension to it.
  • Amazing_AquacatAmazing_Aquacat North Texas Join Date: 2017-05-22 Member: 230676Members
    The visuals, sounds, and especially the music really work well together. Kudos to everyone, but high marks to the sound and music guys they really help things pop.
  • AWEIRDGUYAWEIRDGUY United States Join Date: 2017-05-26 Member: 230781Members
    Chris9183 wrote: »
    Just wanted to say I've played a lot of horror/scary-type games over the years, and there are a lot of good ones out there...but Subnautica ranks among the best for creating an ominous, spine chilling fear-of-the-unknown atmosphere in much of the later game content, and the real genius of it is it's done just by simulating what is already a real environment (on Earth and very likely elsewhere, which is more terrifying). Everything from making your way down into the ILZ the first time, to exploring the Lost River, to exploring the Aurora; it all screams "you do not belong here".

Well done UWE!

The game is practically a horror game to me. Never been good with horror games and always had a strong fear of the unknown, something that large open bodies of water just excentuate as I wonder what lies just below the surface. Then actually diving beneath the waves in Subnautica and finding a at times beautiful, but also often hauntingly dark and creepy place just makes the tension 10 times worse.

But that is also what drew me to this game. I wanted to confront my fear in a safe manner and this game seemed perfect for it...and it has been perfect, especially after the Cyclops was made destructible. I get nervous and tense as I sail through the mountains and dunes, eyes and ears peeled for the telltale signs of Reaper Leviathans. I creep along slowly through the Lava Zones, the roars of the Sea Dragons echoing around me as I try to slip by unnoticed, while also ready to make a mad dash for the nearest cave or alcove should I be spotted.

It is horrifying, yet also deeply thrilling as I never feel safe. Especially at the deep deepths, like the Grand Reef and the Lava Zones. Knowing that there will be no mad dash for the surface should you lose your vehicle just makes the whole thing even more tense.

It is horror and tension in a way I have not really seen elsewhere, but then again I am not a big horror game player.

I felt like I was reading my own thoughts on the game... One of my only petrifying fears is open waters, and I bought this game to try and alleviate that fear. Truth be told I haven't even bothered using the new Cyclops because from watching videos and reading the forums (along with some recent experimental changes to power cell chargers) make it seem extremely less useful.

I only recently started exploring the ILZ, and I'm not exactly thrilled with one of the very few bugs that has actually ruined an experience for me in this game. It was haunting to go through the Lost River, seeing the large skeletons of either unknown or leviathan origin, as well as avoiding the River Prowlers. As I reached the ILZ and started edging my way towards the Lava Castle to find the base there, I felt more tense than ever playing the game. I constantly whipped back and forth, desperately trying to keep a read on the Lava Lizards and larva around me, and especially the Sea Dragon which was directly above me. Then, the unthinkable happened (or the expected, depending on experience), I got grabbed by a Sea Dragon! Not by the one I was keeping an eye on, no, I foolishly forgot to account for the Sea Dragon that apparently lives under the ground that I could not see. I pretty much quit out instantly, both out of fear and sheer frustration as the Sea Dragon dragged me further under the map.

Now, I may never be able to go to the ILZ again, but everything up until that point (Deep Grand Reef, Lost River) was both chilling and oddly scenic to explore. I distinctly remember a point where either I was in a place with no sound or the music cut out, but the only thing I could hear was my own PRAWN suit, hundreds of meters underwater in a cave filled with monsters. I wasn't "safe", as around me were crabsquids, but just being able to drink in the scene with no accompanying sound made me stop and stare for almost a solid minute.

TL;DR: I can't wait until all the bugs are fixed (especially creatures allowed to go underground due to collision being loaded later than the creatures themselves) because I truly enjoy this game's atmosphere.
  • HiguideHiguide NJ Join Date: 2017-04-03 Member: 229385Members
    Im definately a vet when it comes to survival horror hell even i play with surround sound headphones on hard mode. sure there are a few that still haunt me to this day whether it be creepy lore/atmosphere or outright assaulting me one after another until i see it in my sleep.

only real fear i never truly or properly explored into was my thalassophobia (fear the ocean and the unknown that inhabit it). sure almost a staple to have a water level never lasted any longer than that.

everything about it was freaking terrifying, even before S**T got real. subnautica is E10+ (from T after removing red blood) technically not considered horror and yet always having to deal with the existential dread of every creature i came across. entire experience was nightmare fuel. wonderful and creepy at the same time that intensifies once you go further into it literally. love it enough to even put up with X1's slideshow far-behind-the-PC-build version.

The entire experience was intense it was something that will stick with me for a looooong time. sure i can recall my experiences in profound detail even in that does not do it justice. but truly its something that has to be experienced.

• MaxAstroMaxAstro Join Date: 2005-07-07 Member: 55451Members
    I have a massive fear of open water, and picked this game up specifically to try to face it.

Was not disappointed.