Using the Powercells-Charger as the main-base battery

Sam_StarfallSam_Starfall Join Date: 2017-05-21 Member: 230665Members

The idea of buildable battery has certainly be told before, but this is a variation I couldn't find searching.

Suggestion:
- Making Powercell-charger become two-ways (& rebalancing other storage around it)

The objective is to make energy easier but more critical to manage. Less dependent on the number of power generator than their production rate. Also it's muuuuuch more scavengy to carry around powercell

Pros:
- So you can store more energy without needing to build more energy generator
- Avoiding the On/Off spam during shortage (several way to do, but if you can prepare powercell in advance you can avoid a blackout when docking your submarines)
- Allow you to make base using only Powercell to generate oxygen

Consequences:
- Early base would have shortage problem if no equipment have internal storage
- Wasted energy can be farmed (if you bother carrying dozen of powercell it let you build a solar-farm that charge dozens of powercell for deep underwater base)
- Power production/consumption will need rebalance
- Ingredient cost for powercell and power-generator will need rebalance

Comments

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    It's been suggested before, IMHO a good idea. They used to have an accumulator that did that without recharging them as well (lame, which is probably why it got removed).
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    I'd like to play a game with this kind of limitations*, but it wouldn't be fair to the exploration crowd. That said, do you think it has potential as a custom option? Just turn off storage capacity for the generators (or put it at a very low number, like 5-10) and all we'd really need is separate energy storage means that in a "regular" game would simply make energy management easier.

* I prefer functions to be kept separate between tech, so I'd want a separate power generator instead of the power cell charger covering both functions. And I'd like the accumulator too.
  • Sam_StarfallSam_Starfall Join Date: 2017-05-21 Member: 230665Members
    Exploration don't mean it have to be easy. In the old day you didn't have fancy robot-submarine to explore wreck, you had to go yourself with a trusty bathyscaph.

That aside, guesswork would be "not as easily". At least not if you consider "balance" something HARD for game developers.
    At best I'd say it doesn't require new equipment, just changing code and balance.

I would only say "just a game mode" for my other topic because the only value we'd change started from infinity and would have large leeway.
  • Timelord_FredTimelord_Fred Join Date: 2017-07-05 Member: 231596Members
    edited July 2017
    The objective is to make energy easier but more critical to manage. Less dependent on the number of power generator than their production rate. Also it's muuuuuch more scavengy to carry around powercell

I feel this would make base powering a bit of a hindrence. Early in game power would be much more of a constant threat and would be an extra difficulty that we don't need. The current system does need rebalancing, but scrapping it this late into development would be a waste of the developers time and effort when we could focus on other things.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    edited July 2017
    Exploration don't mean it have to be easy. In the old day you didn't have fancy robot-submarine to explore wreck, you had to go yourself with a trusty bathyscaph.

That aside, guesswork would be "not as easily". At least not if you consider "balance" something HARD for game developers.
    At best I'd say it doesn't require new equipment, just changing code and balance.

I would only say "just a game mode" for my other topic because the only value we'd change started from infinity and would have large leeway.

I'm not sure we're talking about the same "exploration". I'm talking the genre, like Submerged or Yume Nikki or Gone Home. While not necessarily easy, they're defined by (relatively) not holding up the player. This energy proposal would hold up and being held up is already a heavy complaint area (pressure modules, MP room, propulsion cannon before the update that had its fragments form an army around the Aurora).

I rather like scavenging myself, so I've been wondering as of late what (reasonable) possibilities there are for custom modes to give back survival players some of the experience that got lost in recent updates. Thought this could fit the bill...

(I think you inserted a wrong link there. You've got several ideas & suggestions post, and I don't know which one you meant.)