Why is this so awful?

BlindbrailleBlindbraille Join Date: 2017-05-02 Member: 230182Members
edited May 2017 in Subnautica Bug Reporting
So I'm stuck in a giant alien structure in subnautica. Super fun. Just waiting to die of thirst because the idiot devs make it so as soon as you walk into this awful place you get locked in. Only way out is if you've miraculously picked up some inane artifact from who knows where out in the world. Great game design. You idiots. Can't do it like everyone else and make the lock on the OUTSIDE. Nope you'd rather lock players in, and I'm sure it wasn't a conscious choice, you're just morons who didn't think it through.

Of course that's only the latest in a laundry list of bugs and quirks. And yes, that's to be expected in a game preview but how about this; I played for 7 hours straight my first night with the game. Suffered through 5 minute freezes a 23 minute load time, hours of dropped frame rates and falling through the map. I finally go to bed and the next day I sign on, guess what? The only save is 4min into the game. I saved multiple times throughout the night, but that didn't seem to matter. It even had a big fantastic text wall saying how they fixed the save problems. It was all good.
Nope.

None of my progress. Nothing.
Again, idiots. So I figured I'd give it one more go. See what happens, and I get this.

No one expects the game to be perfect but you honestly wanted to lock players in a giant Vault with no way out other than to starve/die of thirst? Wtf is wrong with game devs today. They do as little as possible, constantly charge you money for crap I wouldn't even let my enemies play. It's not just sad it's pathetic.

Comments

• BlindbrailleBlindbraille Join Date: 2017-05-02 Member: 230182Members
    edited May 2017
    Snails, it's not a bug. It's just awful game design. After I let myself die of thirst I respawned back at my base whereupon I had to swim the 1500m back to this island with the precursor base to retrieve my seamoth. I came around the "front" of the island this time and exited the water onto a beach and the first thing I saw was a little purple relic. The kind of relic you need to open the door once trapped inside the base. So it's not a bug, the devs just figured, "hey people will probably come from open this one direction because this isn't an OPEN WORLD game or anything so they'll surely see this relic here and not get trapped inside the giant building that is, in fact, a trap". As soon as you enter the base a force field comes up and locks you in. I think this is mountain island. Not 100 percent as there is no map with a legend.

Eternal I think it's hilarious you address forum etiquette then proceed to call me an idiot. Not sure what you were even talking about me reading about bug fixes. I came here by clicking feedback in game. And what version am I playing? Are you serious? Yet another troll who can't read and just wants to flame on. I said I downloaded the game on Xbox one 2 days ago so I'm obviously playing the latest version for the Xbox. Smh. But by all means just neglect all pertinent information because you're a fan boy and I've insulted your new favorite game. And learn what satire is kiddo you sound ridiculous using words when you have no comprehension of their meaning.

As I stated I'm aware this is early access and I expected bugs. So many bugs. I played ark since release and honestly that game was worse than this when it comes to immersion breaking bugs, however the two specific problems I mentioned in my op aren't bugs. They are greed and stupidity. When asking people to pay for a game- in whatever condition- you need to have it do it's most fundamental processes. Saving your progress on a survival game is essential. These aren't levels you can just run through. This is time spent creating a unique environment that can't easily be duplicated when it's lost because of poor programming. It was an issue that was known and addressed, even had a Readme of patch notes saying how it was all good and okay to play. It wasn't. You can't ask for people's money when you give them a broken product. Not a work in progress but straight broken.

And as far as the relics and the precursor base, yes that's dumb. It's not a violation of forum etiquette to tell the truth and if you are upset because I used a derogatory name, well, get over it. Insipid, asinine, obtuse, half baked, take your pick, it was a bad decision. This is the real world, idk how old you are but if you can't read a string of letters slung together to illustrate a point then the Internet is not the place for you.

Now if you guys want to continue to flame on because your salty I called out the devs for poor level design can you at least keep it civil and not turn this into yet another overtly toxic thread? I'd appreciate it.
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    I took one look and all I saw was a very undescriptive post about how much you hate the devs for "trapping" you. Did you glitch into the precursor base? Cause they never close once opened from the outside.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    If you've glitched in-between walls, you should use console commands to fix it until the game is polished before release. If you're interested, you can search around or ask here.
  • DarthOmnisDarthOmnis United States Join Date: 2016-12-15 Member: 224970Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    If you've glitched in-between walls, you should use console commands to fix it until the game is polished before release. If you're interested, you can search around or ask here.

If anything the Wiki can be the one-stop shop on the ins and outs of the game.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    edited May 2017
    I dont know about anyone else but when i open a forcefield door using a key, the forcefield never comes back on ..... unless you clear your cache which is something that the devs do not support, its a ''fan-made fix'' someone suggested to help alleviate certain problems (respawning resources / may help some lag/crash issues).

@Blindbraille with an attitude like that, calling stupids devs 'n anyone trying to help you, i would'nt be surprised if your problem never gets solved. With such arrogance as yours you should be smart enough to help yourself or even better just carry on to another game. Careful not to hurt yourself with the door on your way out *waves bye bye*
  • dork42dork42 Michigan Join Date: 2017-03-30 Member: 229307Members
    edited May 2017
    If he's kicking on the XBOX it is really easy to swim inside the Precursor Gun before it loads. My first playthrough i parked 3 seamoths inside that base before learning to tread carefully around the mountain.

Can't seem to remember wanting to go onto the forums and crap all over the game because of it though.

Also, saving on the XBOX requires you to Save & Quit to menu. It would be impossible to have multiple saves before quitting.
    Only once since the update did i have a fail to save, and the game just said saving for an hour on two and never got past that.
    Once you select Save & Quit just stand around and wait it out, depending on how busy you've been it could take 5-10 minutes to save.
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    edited May 2017
    I'm still confused. How did you get trapped @Blindbraille? What entrance did you enter the Precursor base?

I'm legitimately confused. I've read both of your posts twice, and found very little pertinent information besides, "The game trapped me!" and, "The forcefield closed in on me after I entered."

And on the saves, yeah, those could be better. But they're working on it (if they weren't, then the devs really would be idiots.)
  • DrasusDrasus Join Date: 2017-05-16 Member: 230546Members
    Hey.... why dont we calm down retrace his steps and just wrap all this up in a bug report of another event location not saving right.
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    edited May 2017
    Drasus wrote: »
    Hey.... why dont we calm down retrace his steps and just wrap all this up in a bug report of another event location not saving right.

My thoughts exactly.

There's only one problem, what steps?

As far as I can tell, he's in the Precursor Gun, and he may have gone through the Cyclops moonpool. But that's as far as I could get.
    edited May 2017
    Let me try to clear this up. I went looking for mountain island, needed to grab some diamonds. I found an island, I assume it's the correct one but there is a giant precursor base on it, this wasn't on any of the YouTube videos I had watched because this was a brand new update.

I piloted my seamoth up to the beach and exited it. I was then walking in open air on a sandy beach. I saw this giant structure (the base) N with a giant opening in the side. I took a step inside and as soon as I did a green force field went up behind me. I was then trapped inside the base with no way out. All the terminals require an artifact to open. No moon pool entrance, and no way out. It's less a bug than it is obviously poor game design. I ended up killing myself and respawning later. I came back to this island and approached it from the opposite side, as soon as you take some random path up the side of a mountain you find an artifact. If you proceed further you then encounter the base. All on foot.

Then Island is not easy to find at first and it's obviously a very easy mistake to approach the island from the "wrong" end. If you haven't found an artifact by this point, which will vary for player to player, then you need to avoid the base or you will get trapped inside. I managed to find another YouTube video wherein the player found some artifacts and went to explore the base. It's a cool little idea just very poorly designed. They should have had you require an artifact to enter the base, not to leave it. Just assuming your player base MIGHT possibly, maybe have the required item to exit this cul-de-sac when theybfirstbstumblenuoon it is just silly.

I understand my op was a little salty, and rightfully so. I lost hours of game play and a few unique items because this IS a game preview and it is buggy. But people's reactions to the post are just typical Internet hate. "oh, look a player is irritated with the game? Let's flame them and then get mad when your inane remarks have made an already aggravating situation worse."

To be clear, because I had to wade through a few of these insipid posts where people just... Lol. Just the worst. People openly admitting they have no idea how I got locked in this base, admittedly because they have no clue themselves what they are talking about, then calling me stupid for no going out the way I came in... Lol.

There is an opening to the base on the beach you can walk through. Once you do a force field goes up. You're trapped unless you have an artifact. 90% of these posts are just butt hurt trolls who are mad I called the devs stupid. Well it is stupid. Sorry.

• nesrak1nesrak1 Places Join Date: 2016-12-04 Member: 224536Members
    edited May 2017

There is an opening to the base on the beach you can walk through. Once you do a force field goes up. You're trapped unless you have an artifact. 90% of these posts are just butt hurt trolls who are mad I called the devs stupid. Well it is stupid. Sorry.

See, this is a lot better. A known bug. Whenever the force field gets loaded, it checks the terminal. If it is open, it opens the force field and causing the force field to play the animation on load regardless of if the animation has already played. But all of the good have not been loaded, the force field waits until it can, in which it is not active. It then loaded and trapped you inside. An easy fix can be to unload the batch by using the freecam command twice; essentially get out the way you got back in (in theory).
    When I was making the rick roll mod, I ran into a different problem for the same reason causing my game to crash.
    Thank you for the input nesrak, I really do appreciate it. But again this isn't a bug. Or I should say, if it is its not due to load times. I'm on Brokebox one. Not a pc. I would have just used the console command warpme or whatever it is to port back to base. It'd be a long swim but worth it not to loose that progress.
    Let me see if I can upload the recording to twitch or twitter and post it here. Im Standing next to the door and its wide open. It remains like that for 10,15 minutes or until I walked into the base. It seems like a blatant trap.
    edited May 2017

That's the door, when you go there it's wide open. If I have to I'll start a new game, swim to this ridiculous island and trap myself again.
  • nesrak1nesrak1 Places Join Date: 2016-12-04 Member: 224536Members
    Hm.
    That's messed up.

That's the door, when you go there it's wide open. If I have to I'll start a new game, swim to this ridiculous island and trap myself again.

I've never seen that door close before.

Interesting...

Very interesting...

I feel a bug-testing playthrough coming on! :)

And thank you @Blindbraille for stating your bug in a much clearer way. Really helps people like me get to the bottom of mysteries like these.
  • tommy21toestommy21toes Subnautica Join Date: 2017-05-21 Member: 230666Members
    There is an opening to the base on the beach you can walk through. Once you do a force field goes up. You're trapped unless you have an artifact.

There shouldn't be an opening until you use the artifact. Seems like it hadn't loaded the field yet and you got inside before it did. If you want to replicate it, wait outside a while and watch. Your placement in the base isn't set up to trigger some forcefield event and the devs aren't out to get you.
  • elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    I've been playing on XB1 for a couple of weeks now and I've had structures spawn around me, trapping me inside, because of lag in loading objects. It was frustrating in a hilarious sort of way. I've never seen a force field behave like that before, but I can assure you it is NOT supposed to work that way. It's a bug, probably from lag, not any kind of intentional design decision or oversight from the devs.

Seriously though, if there's one thing I've noticed about this game, it's that there is no place you can get to that you can't get out of. I've played many games, full release versions no less, where I've become trapped somewhere such that I had to reload or quit and restart or something to get out. But besides loading errors from lag, I haven't come across anything like that in Subnautica, and for a pre-release build like this, that's pretty impressive.

What you experienced is something we haven't seen before, and while it may be due to a known issue, that's still valuable information. So take a deep breath, remind yourself that it's a pre-release game, and laugh it off.
  • MaxAstroMaxAstro Join Date: 2005-07-07 Member: 55451Members
    On the PC version it is not possible to get into that structure without a key (unless you swim in through the moonpool); the force field is active before you enter. So it's not a game design choice, because it's not intended to work that way.

Most likely it really is a loading bug, just a very specific one. My guess would be that the game is waiting to load the forcefield until something else finishes loading, and that something else never finishes loading until you get close enough to it... close enough being inside the force field.
  • skizo60skizo60 Join Date: 2017-06-14 Member: 231106Members
    I had some problems as well with not appearing textures and when I get close enough they are loaded and I am stuck somewhere, so I agree with MaxAstro for now the solution I can give is tread carefully.
  • privatechrispyprivatechrispy Usa Join Date: 2018-05-16 Member: 240754Members
    edited May 2018
    No. Just no. -Foxy
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    edited May 2018
    snip

This is coming from the guy who just bumped a dead thread that didn't need to be bumped. The issue has already been solved and the op was admitted they were a bit salty. @Foxy can you please close this thread?
This discussion has been closed.