The signals make no sense

OjakokkoOjakokko Finland Join Date: 2017-01-20 Member: 226999Members
So I kinda can accept the signals taking up space in the chip slots, since I guess there are some data size restrictions in the PDA (menaing that it can save several full logs, a comprehensive encyclopedia and blueprints for everything from flashlights to submarines and only two coordinates), but I can't accept the signals taking up physical space in your inventory and lockers. What? These are strings of code (well, everything ingame is but you get my point), how can they take up physical space?

The signals should be downloaded and saved when you pick them up just like the logs, so you won't have to think about storing them. They could be found in beacon list and turned on and off just like anything else there. Save the accessory chip slots for the compass and thermometer, which actually need physical components (and maybe add more sensors even.

Comments

• garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    edited April 2017
    There is a very cool utilitarian reason why they take up inventory space. This is because you can insert them or remove them from the inventory slots so selectively turn them on/off. This s very useful later in the game when you remember seeing certain key features of the game at different life pods. It is extremely useful to be able to store these signals in inventory so that you can refer to them later.

As of the latest release build, 'Silent Running', that just came out today, the compass is no longer craftable and, thus, no longer takes up inventory space. It is built into the Seamoth.

I have also considered making a suggestion that the signals be included in the list of beacons. But I'm not sure I want it "clogging" up my list of beacons. Currently, if I want to clean up my list of beacons--including both visible and not marked visible beacons, I can just go pick them up. How would you handle that for the Signals?
  • OjakokkoOjakokko Finland Join Date: 2017-01-20 Member: 226999Members
    garath wrote: »
    There is a very cool utilitarian reason why they take up inventory space. This is because you can insert them or remove them from the inventory slots so selectively turn them on/off. This s very useful later in the game when you remember seeing certain key features of the game at different life pods. It is extremely useful to be able to store these signals in inventory so that you can refer to them later.

And this utilitarian reason is better compared to selectively turning them on/off in the list.... how?

If I have to choose between wasting inventory space and a clogged list, I go for the clogged list
    I wonder if they handle it this way to help out new players who haven't yet mastered the Ping Manager. Taking the Signal in and out of your Inventory may be a lot easier for new players to understand than managing pings.

I see your point. There are definitely times when I'm searching through a dozen lockers trying to find the signal for one of the life pods. It would be a lot easier if it just added the signal to the Ping Manager immediately after listening to the radio.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    I always make a separate locker expressly for Signals I've already discovered/plundered.
    B)
    I wonder if they handle it this way to help out new players who haven't yet mastered the Ping Manager.

How long have you played SN? This mechanic is left from the times there was no such thing as ping manager. Now that ping manager exists (And the signals are actually shown there? Why can't you just remove the inventory part?) there's no need for having them take up inventory space.

As for the ping manager getting clogged, it could be solved by having everything listed in drop down sections ("submarines" (includes lifepod), "Beacons" and "signals", perhaps?) so you could sort them out. I'd actually like to see this implemented regardless of whether they'll do something to the signals or not.
    Ojakokko wrote: »
    As for the ping manager getting clogged, it could be solved by having everything listed in drop down sections ("submarines" (includes lifepod), "Beacons" and "signals", perhaps?) so you could sort them out. I'd actually like to see this implemented regardless of whether they'll do something to the signals or not.

I had the exact same thought about adding sections to the Ping Manager. I think that would be a great idea. But it would be extra programming work. I think they are trying to focus all their attention on finishing the game and hitting the 1.0 full retail release before they do anything brand new like adding sections to the PIng Manager. Just my opinion.

• TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited April 2017
    As of the latest release build, 'Silent Running', that just came out today, the compass is no longer craftable and, thus, no longer takes up inventory space. It is built into the Seamoth.

Uh... what? I am away from my PC so I haven't been able to play the new update yet. :bawling: Why would they remove the Compass as a tool? I use it far more frequently outside the Seamoth when navigating caves or places it can't survive in. I guess I will get used to it - it's not a deal-breaker, but that decision makes no sense to me. :confused:
    garanth wrote: »
    I have also considered making a suggestion that the signals be included in the list of beacons. But I'm not sure I want it "clogging" up my list of beacons. Currently, if I want to clean up my list of beacons--including both visible and not marked visible beacons, I can just go pick them up. How would you handle that for the Signals?

Someone also made a similar request for this as well, and I hope it comes true eventually. Having the Signals stored internally and toggled on/off by the PDA is more organic, as when they changed Beacon pings to be that way. Also there's the issue of having Beacons stored as external items: Originally they had to be dug up from Chests, which meant you'd randomly find them... or maybe never.

Now while they only appear tied to story events/progression, but the original issue exists: they can still be lost forever. While their loss is reduced since they're not found outside of a Lifepod/base (inventory is saved after exiting), you can still lose them from dying inside the pod (Gasopod attacks, malnourishment, O2 loss from power failure) or simply throwing them away by accident (such as over clicking the inventory into the trashcan).

So all that considered, I'd rather have Signals logged internally into the PDA and have them toggled, with the benefit of saving inventory space and not taking up a paperdoll upgrade slot. Given the changes made to Signals and Pings already, I have a feeling they will do this eventually. :blush:
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    I too think the signals can be removed as inventory items and made just PDA information in the Ping Manager.
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    Why would they remove the Compass as a tool? I use it far more frequently outside the Seamoth when navigating caves or places it can't survive in. I guess I will get used to it - it's not a deal-breaker, but that decision makes no sense to me. :confused:
    Agreed. I use the compass even before I get the Seamoth. It should be available outside of the vehicles.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    edited April 2017
    Jacke wrote: »
    I too think the signals can be removed as inventory items and made just PDA information in the Ping Manager.
    Why would they remove the Compass as a tool? I use it far more frequently outside the Seamoth when navigating caves or places it can't survive in. I guess I will get used to it - it's not a deal-breaker, but that decision makes no sense to me. :confused:
    Agreed. I use the compass even before I get the Seamoth. It should be available outside of the vehicles.

A lot of items have been moved out of default blueprints and into things like Databoxes, the Compass was one of them. Is it really removed entirely or is it just relocated?

If it's been removed entirely that's a pretty lame and poor decision, along with the ILZ gutting.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Rezca wrote: »

A lot of items have been moved out of default blueprints and into things like Databoxes, the Compass was one of them. Is it really removed entirely or is it just relocated?

If it's been removed entirely that's a pretty lame and poor decision, along with the ILZ gutting.

It was moved to a databox. Whether it was completely removed after that, I have no idea.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    I always make a separate locker expressly for Signals I've already discovered/plundered.
    B)

the first thing i make in my bases is the trash bin specifically to ''store'' all them signals :smiley:
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »

It was moved to a databox. Whether it was completely removed after that, I have no idea.

I'd have to start a new game to check, since my current one I've long since gotten the data box with the compass in it.
    Rainstorm wrote: »
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    B)

the first thing i make in my bases is the trash bin specifically to ''store'' all them signals :smiley:

I just don't repair the Comms Relay at all nor build one myself xD
    No comms, no signals, no wasted space. All it's really there for is to guide you to the lifepods and get the Sunbeam shot down. If you know where the lifepods are beforehand then you can just ignore it, so I do just that ^^
  • gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members
    edited April 2017
    I hope that the devs change the signals from inventory clutter into PDA data in the next update. It makes no sense for simple data points which are much shorter than a single PDA log (not to mention how complex a blueprint for the assembler would be) to take up valuable inventory and equipment space when the others are simply stored as data in the PDA.

I can understand that the current system is a placeholder for an older version of the game that didn't have the ping manager, but with the ability to turn pings off now, the signals system really needs to be updated.
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    I just picked up the Compass Blueprint from a more southerly Lifepod Databox, so it's still in the game. The vehicles just have their own compasses. The one in the Seamoth is the older model, while the one equipped on the paperdoll model is the new one.
    gamer1000k wrote: »
    I hope that the devs change the signals from inventory clutter into PDA data in the next update. It makes no sense for simple data points which are much shorter than a single PDA log (not to mention how complex a blueprint for the assembler would be) to take up valuable inventory and equipment space when the others are simply stored as data in the PDA.

I can understand that the current system is a placeholder for an older version of the game that didn't have the ping manager, but with the ability to turn pings off now, the signals system really needs to be updated.
    This definitely needs to be done. The Ping Manager is a better place for the Signals.
    No comms, no signals, no wasted space.

And no sunbeam rescue or one of the mightiest firework shows in the game
    Ojakokko wrote: »
    No comms, no signals, no wasted space.

And no sunbeam rescue or one of the mightiest firework shows in the game

Appears that the quotes were messed up and I can do nothing because edit limitations